home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-16-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
240kjet801

Default Volvo 240 Kjet short Pinging or Pre ignition on sudden heavy acceleration

Hello guys,
I need some advice,
I have a 240 Kjet that have a slight problem of short pinging or pre ignition during sudden pressing on the throttle. when i press the accelerator pedal at sudden rate, the engine revs normal and very responsive but i can hear a half second of engine pinging after that it went away. if i press the pedal at normal rate, i dont hear any pinging. i tried to adjust the distributor to make the pinging away when sudden wide open throttle but when i do that, the engine loss its responsiveness and during cold start, the car wouldnt rev.

but if i adjust back the distributor to its previous position, the car starts and revs fine on cold start. it idles normal, no hesitation on acceleration or at sudden WOT. it only makes half a second pinging even when i drive the car, i hardly hear any pinging or pre detonation and no misfire. is the car behavior normal?
240kjet801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
Mr. V
Board Member

I have a 240 KJet and what you describe is not normal.

This might help:

https://forums.turbobricks.com/archi...p/t-82232.html
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
240kjet801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I have a 240 KJet and what you describe is not normal.

This might help:

https://forums.turbobricks.com/archi...p/t-82232.html
Update on my kjet problem:

i've replaced a few parts and it did fix the problem a bit. i hardly hear any pinging for now only occasionally when i keep on sudden pressing the accelerator. here's what i replaced:
i have a spare new old stock warm up regulator as i thought that the issue might have something to do with the warm up regulator. upon changing the regulator, i saw a bit of fuel leak at one of the pipes going to the warm up regulator. after removal of the said plastic pipe which is PITA to do, the plastic pipes actually split into half, luckily i have spare cold start injector pipe which does fit but only to reroute it above the fuel distributor instead of below it. i also decide to replace the warm up regulator without testing if the leaky pipe actually causing the issue.

so after replacing these few items, the car runs a lot better and i even can adjust the timing without sacrificing the performance and basically the pinging or engine knock is gone but on occasionally it does still pinging but not all the time and i hardly can hear it in the car. but after replacing these items, my idling rise to 900rpm. before it was around 800 rpm. tried to mess around with the idle screw and manage to get the idle below 800rpm but the exhaust smells like rich mixture. tried leaning the mixture by adjusting the mixture screw, but it hesitates on heavy acceleration. i adjusted it back to original position and it drives fine now with 900 rpm idle speed. when i turn the aircon idle rise to 1050.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
122power
dude

Idk if this will help but double check your timing and marks. Even the mag pick up tangs when its at tdc. I had a car that pinged and ended up being the rotor tangs were not in the right spot. Thought it was the belt but it was in the disributor not being phased correctly if that makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Ring,ring,ring

"Hello"

"Do you work on Volvo ...

*Click - bzzzzzz*
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
hiperfauto
The Librarian

^ This, especially if you've turned the engine with the distributor cap off. The cap clips will catch the arms of the trigger wheel and either bend them or will rotate the trigger wheel on it's hub and be out of phase.

Also check the vacuum pod diaphragm and make sure the hoses are connected properly.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
240kjet801

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
^ This, especially if you've turned the engine with the distributor cap off. The cap clips will catch the arms of the trigger wheel and either bend them or will rotate the trigger wheel on it's hub and be out of phase.

Also check the vacuum pod diaphragm and make sure the hoses are connected properly.
that makes sense, i checked on the distributor vacuum advance.....first, the vacuum advance mechanism sticking. i mean the vacuum advance did move but it will not return back to its original position. then i replaced it with another distributor including the vacuum hose as it was clogged. it did make the engine runs better but the initial problem is still there.

so i went to the parts shop and get some silicone hose to replace some of the vacuum hoses including the brake servo hose. honestly originally i can hear minor vacuum leak and after replacing some of the hoses, the vacuum leak sound seems to be lesser. so im planning to replace all the hoses on the engine but ofcourse the pinging still there.

then i check on the spark plugs, i replaced it before using bosch plugs and i read on this forum that few owners experienced problems with bosch plugs and i try fitting NGK plugs. all my life i never gapped spark plugs on my cars because i always thought they are pre-gapped from factory. but i try checking the gaps on the NGK BPR6ES plugs and to my surprise, the gap was to small. did the re-gapped on the plugs fit the plugs and start the car, pinging is still there. so i tried adjusting back the ignition timing back to the previous setting where the engine lost power and hesitates, then the pinging is gone, engine still got power and no more hesitates. im very happy with the results.

but i still need to wait for the next day for engine cold start because previously when the igntion timing was set on the current settings. the engine wouldnt rev and sputters until when the engine is in operating temperature. so in order to eliminate this problem, i had to advance the timing so that i can rev the engine during the engine is cold but the engine will ping during heavy acceleration at operating temperature. hope for the best tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Make sure you have replaced the fuel injector seals. They cause a vacuum leak, too.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #8
240kjet801

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Make sure you have replaced the fuel injector seals. They cause a vacuum leak, too.
yes, the injector seals been replaced last year together with new injectors & remanufactured fuel distributor.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:21 PM   #9
240kjet801

Update on the issue of my car:- SOLVED
today, engine very cold and i tried start the engine, it does fire into life with no hiccups, i even can rev the engine during cold start unlike before. im very happy with the outcome. the only problem left i think is long cranking after shutting the engine 3 hours but it will start up fine and fast if i press the accelerator pedal a bit. i think the fuel is going back to the tank. New fuel pumps and accumulator installed and the problem is still there