home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-07-2021, 11:52 PM   #1
Mr. V
Board Member

Default B21FT 244 Turbo swap, now high RPM

1982 244 Turbo, manual transmission, well maintained.

I am going to have the turbo rebuilt for in the interim I just installed an old one I had acquired, I forget where or when.

Both are Garretts and seem identical except the spare one I just installed does not have water cooling, only oil (my regular turbo has both).

I changed out hoses as needed.

I've only fired it up briefly a couple times because although it fires up easily it immediately goes up to high RPM, about 3000 or more.

I verified that the throttle control valve moves freely and double checked for holes in hoses or bad hose connections: no problems noted.

Could it be that this turbo itself is causing the problem?

Thoughts / suggestions?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Try closing off the air bypass hoses for the idle motor to see if that air bypass is causing the issue. If it is there may be a bad constant idle system controller. Also if the constant idle system has an open circuit to the coolant temp sensor it may make a very high idle. Also check the grounds on the intake manifold as one of them is for the idle system. There should be one ground near the cold start valve and two more on the number four runner area of the intake manifold.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Also make sure the throttle switch is adjusted correctly. If the blade has become dislodged from the arm that sticks out from the throttle control lever on the throttl body, the car will run at 3200 rpm minimum. It'll act as if someone has jumpered the harness plugs to test the constant idle air valve.

Another thing to check is the harness that comes out of the firewall on the passenger side. It's for the constant idle system. The insulation on the wires is known to deteriorate. Quite possible that you might have a short between the four wires that get jumpered together, which means that it's testing the idle air valve at all times. If you can find a 49 state 1981 240 with the B21F, it will have an undamaged harness pigtail, stashed inside the passenger strut tower. Cut the pigtail off, ideally inside the passenger compartment, then, replace the same section on your car with the part from the donor car.

1982 242Ti - black, B23FT/M46 combo.
@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:53 PM   #4
Mr. V
Board Member

Thanks guys, I followed several of the suggestions and it seems to be behaving now.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote