home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
DavePolyakov
Board Member

Default Only runs without AMM plugged in

1990 740 b230ft. The car only runs with the AMM unplugged. I got a 3-inch AMM and larger injectors but I'm still having the same issues with this "new" used AMM.

If the car only runs with the AMM unplugged does that mean the problem is definitely the AMM and my replacement is also broken? Or is there possibly a problem elsewhere?
DavePolyakov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

That typically means the air mass sensor is dead. Even if you have the same issue with a second one. Then the second one is bad as well.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #3
DavePolyakov
Board Member

This is what I thought but wanted to make sure. Guess I need to find another 012 AMM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
That typically means the air mass sensor is dead. Even if you have the same issue with a second one. Then the second one is bad as well.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:21 AM   #4
DavePolyakov
Board Member

I've since tested two other AMM's and the same issue. The car throws code 2-3-2, "Fuel trim (lambda control) too lean or too rich at idle".

The issue began when I was at 12 pounds of boost and the car shut off. It now will only run with the AMM unplugged. I'm not sure what I broke but probably not the AMM unless the three different units I tested were all bad. Could It possibly be my oxygen sensor?
Old 08-09-2021, 03:12 AM   #5
Otto Mattik
board member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePolyakov View Post
I've since tested two other AMM's and the same issue. The car throws code 2-3-2, "Fuel trim (lambda control) too lean or too rich at idle".

The issue began when I was at 12 pounds of boost and the car shut off. It now will only run with the AMM unplugged. I'm not sure what I broke but probably not the AMM unless the three different units I tested were all bad. Could It possibly be my oxygen sensor?
From my experience a failing/failed o2 will cause a motor to run richer, but not enough to cause a stall or no-start.

Did you do a resistance check on your AMM's ? I'm not sure if this helps but here is a resistance check(of hot wire) from the Bentley Bible

3. On LH-2.2 and LH-2.4 systems, connect an ohmmeter to between terminals 2 (green-yellow wire) and 3 (white-red wire) of the air mass meter.

Air mass meter platinum wire resistance
* LH-2.0, 2.2 .................3.5-4 ohms
* LH 2.4.........................2.5-4 ohms

iirc the AMM numbering system starts from the firewall and goes forward( so #1 is near firewall, #4 is nearer radiator), maybe someone will chime in if this detail is incorrect.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:25 AM   #6
hessam69
Board Member

The bentley manual is wrong, there is no conclusive test for an AMM other than to swap a known working one
hessam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #7
Janspeed
Board Member

I assume the system is LH2.4, correct?
Did you check the wiring to the AMM? The diagnostic system is very simple, it can not differentiate between a broken AMM and broken AMM-wiring/ connector pins.

I once had a similar error on a 740 (LH2.4) and it turned out there were corroded connectors out of sight (behind the strutt towers) that were the cause of the problem. it wouldn't surprise me if the 240's have similar large rectangular connectors to connect the engine bay loom to the loom inside the car.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

As suggested it's time to make sure the wiring is correct and not corroded anywhere. If that is the case and it's checking good. Then it may be time to try another fuel ecu. The code that it is setting is usually associated with a vacuum leak or some type of air leak. It is also the code that a bad ecu like the 561 ecu can set if the unit is one of the bad flaky ones.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #9
DavePolyakov
Board Member

I verified the MAF is getting 12v and I tested the ground wire too, It measured 1.2 ohms when I tested using the negative terminal as the ground. The ohms between pin 2 and 3 on the AMM measure 3.9 ohms.

Does everything check out fine? I know the MAF could still be faulty though these numbers look ok.

My ignition ecu under the passenger kick panel is 3 517 370.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
As suggested it's time to make sure the wiring is correct and not corroded anywhere. If that is the case and it's checking good. Then it may be time to try another fuel ecu. The code that it is setting is usually associated with a vacuum leak or some type of air leak. It is also the code that a bad ecu like the 561 ecu can set if the unit is one of the bad flaky ones.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

I'd be looking for other air leaks. Did the IC split, a hose split that isn't obvious, something along those lines, especially since you mentioned it happened in boost. With the MAF unplugged, it goes way rich, so if you have unmetered air getting in, that added fuel may allow it to run.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18
Bob Davi "bob davi" 10/2021

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #11
DavePolyakov
Board Member

Kind of what I've been wondering, it seems like a coincidence the AMM would quit at 6k under full boost. If I remember I think there may have been a popping sound. I'll do a thorough check, it must be a pretty bad leak for the car to not even run?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
I'd be looking for other air leaks. Did the IC split, a hose split that isn't obvious, something along those lines, especially since you mentioned it happened in boost. With the MAF unplugged, it goes way rich, so if you have unmetered air getting in, that added fuel may allow it to run.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #12
DavePolyakov
Board Member

I am such a fool.

The idle air control valve hose had slipped off of the intake manifold. I didn't notice it because it's under all the other hoses and hard to access. Now the car starts and runs.

It runs a little bit lopey at idle, is this normal while lh2.4 adjusts to larger injectors and AMM? It's just slightly rough, it's not horrible and smooths out with a few revs.

I currently do not have a wideband. Before I get one installed, would I probably be ok to run a medium boost level like ~10psi? I understand the computer takes 2 tanks of gas/ ~500ish miles and several cold starts before it fully relearns. Before I hit those milestones I'll drive gentlyish.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #13
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

If you've been trying to run it with that big of a leak, yeah, it will need to adapt a little, as it will with the AMM and injector swap. Also worth at least taking a peek at the simple stuff, plugs, all the basic maintenance if you don't know the status or it's been a while. All the usual stage 0 stuff.

Just remember, when diagnosing...KISS...keep it simple stupid. ;)
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:55 AM   #14
Otto Mattik
board member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessam69 View Post
The bentley manual is wrong, there is no conclusive test for an AMM other than to swap a known working one
Personally I use the hot wire resistance check as a starting point, and I do I agree it is not a 'conclusive' test of an AMM.

Last edited by Otto Mattik; 08-10-2021 at 05:06 AM..
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #15
philski o'flood
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePolyakov View Post
I am such a fool. The idle air control valve hose had slipped off
Boost is magic
philski o'flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:41 PM   #16
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philski o'flood View Post
Boost is magic
Extra air in = HP gainz
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #17
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

BTW, you can test the output of the MAF, should always be between 0 to 5 VDC, anything else is a problem.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:33 PM   #18
DavePolyakov
Board Member

Very much so. I wonder if this loose hose connection was causing occasional break-ups when in boost. I want to let the ECU adjust for a few hundred miles before I start boosting again but I'm curious to see how it behaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philski o'flood View Post
Boost is magic
Old 08-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #19
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

If you have access to an air compressor, build yourself a clamp that will allow you to pressure the intake system. Then set it to, say, 10+ psi and go around with a spray bottle with soapy water to see if you find a leak.

I can't find the instructions but this should give you an idea of what I am talking about
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote