home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 10-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

Default What's everyone's favorite brake pads

Red wagon needs new pads - probably rotors - so what's everyone's go to pads these days? No track use on this car. I has/had EBC red stuff pads that worked well with manageable dusting.

Caddy big brakes on the front - so R pads will work.
stock AF rear 240 brakes.

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Blackout Edition
1991 245+Turbo 16 Valve Microsquirt
Need Lawncare service in Atlanta? PM me for a lawncare and maintenance quote
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:48 PM   #2
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

For most driving: parts store ceramics or Akebono ceramics, or PBR Metal Masters if I can find them (I am currently hoarding a few pairs for 240s). If you know, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotahead View Post
That's why you give blowies with a mouth full of Listerine, sanitizes the sausage and leaves everyone with a fresh clean wintergreen taste or scent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by megulon-7 View Post
Sigh…. It leads to the hard stuff. Hot sauce or I can’t get off now.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

on stock brakes ive been running stock pads, cheap and brake nicely but horrible dust.

I just put some bosch quiet cast on my DD With the brembo medium kit we sell. Its nice having a bigger caliper and rotor so you can use a lazy pad and not have any deg.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
Benjam83
Moar Volvos than Queen B

For aggressive driving, the favorite pad I've used were the EBC Yellowstuff pads....but I'm not sure they make them for 240s....but could be an option if you had some other kind of brake caliper setup on it....

I know they're listed as a "race" pad, but they worked fine on my wife's daily driven Mini. They were just a tad noisier than stock. Didn't dust any worse than the stock pads, which dusted pretty badly...and when paired with the sticky Dunlop Z1s, that car really threw out the anchor.

If I'm just tooling around/cruising, I just use whatever's cheapest...lol...

12 WRX Hatchback
10 Subaru Outback
93 245 m47
Benjam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

I've been very pleased with PRB Ultimate Ceramics. They seem to last forever yet don't chew up rotors.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
VB242
I.M. Weasel

+1 EBC yellow stuff, they are available for 240's.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

NOT a fan of EBC Green's, the dust is absolutely horrendous. 100 miles and the rims are charcoal, 200 and they are black. Yellow's seem to be decent, running Wilwood 15A's up front now, going to Q's for the next set.

PBR Ultimate's were a really nice everyday pad, same for the Akebono's but I did find they took a little heat to get grippy on the R, where the PBR's were good from the get-go.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18
Bob Davi "bob davi" 10/2021

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

We’ll, I ended up ordering red stuff pads and centric rotors. Going to do the rears for now since they’re noisy and the fronts at another time. Availability on the hawk stuff from summit looked dicey…covid I guess.
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #9
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
NOT a fan of EBC Green's, the dust is absolutely horrendous. 100 miles and the rims are charcoal, 200 and they are black. Yellow's seem to be decent, running Wilwood 15A's up front now, going to Q's for the next set.

PBR Ultimate's were a really nice everyday pad, same for the Akebono's but I did find they took a little heat to get grippy on the R, where the PBR's were good from the get-go.
Had EBC reds in the Acura. Hated them.

Ceramics in general suck ass as far as feedback is concerned.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #10
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

PBR also branded pads with the Axxis brand. I've gotten great prices on them from Rock Auto closeouts. The biggest single performance brake upgrade I've noticed was drilled rotors. Even using PBR deluxe pads the drilled rotors improved braking a considerable amount.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:49 AM   #11
283SD
Board Member

1991. Bought all new brakes [calipers,pads rotors] from Volvo for the V8 Wagon. April '21 put new pads on the rear, fronts are still fine. Also cross drilled all rotors at the time [120 holes per rotor], It is now 300K miles later.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:24 PM   #12
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Another good experience I can relate is the use of cryo treated rotors. On my turbo they have lasted through three sets of EBC green and are now using PBR pads. I used the ATE premium one rotors with the atomic slots. Then they were cryo treated at frozen rotors dot com.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #13
Janspeed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous3 View Post
We’ll, I ended up ordering red stuff pads and centric rotors. Going to do the rears for now since they’re noisy and the fronts at another time. Availability on the hawk stuff from summit looked dicey…covid I guess.
I used to run EBC red on my T5R. On cold winter days they did need some warming up before they performed anywhere near stock pads. Would not buy again tbh.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:07 PM   #14
TheVo138
Board Member

On my '89 240 GL I use the oem brembo rotors (vented front, solid rear), and Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic in the front and Akebonos in the rear. They've lasted a long time for me as a daily traffic commuter (Pre-covid). Akebonos you can get on FCP euro, buy it once and forget about it. Wagners I got on Rockauto, cheapest I found.
Will buy again (new set of akebonos are waiting to be installed). I wish i could find akebonos for the front, but never did, maybe they didn't make them. Never had any issues with needing more bite.
TheVo138 is offline   Reply With Quote