• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to find my stock Amplifier if my 1985 volvo 244 has one?

Cybernesia

Just wondering if and where my stock amplifier for my volvo 244 1985 would be? I have seen a picture of one that is under the main center console behind the air conditioning panel and wonder how to get there besides taking off the center console just to see if its there?

Thanks all you brickers!

Very few pre 85 cars had external amp.

Of 240s, really only 92+ had the amp standard behind a short lower cubby down low there.
Some 91 loaded 245SE had an amp on a bracket behind the glove box with ?premium sound? & the larger 5.25? speakers in the grates that only fit the power window models.

I used to hoard nice 4? shallow Boston acoustics out of garaged Bay Area E30s people spent money on for my manual window Volvos, but now a single beater E30 that?s vaguely ?workable? / ?viable? is $5k, used to be able to get 5 of them for $4k! Access to those is long gone!

I guess you can buy the BNE grates for a manual window car for 5.25? more standard front speakers?nice product but maybe overkill for machine time & cost considering what else he can do with the same machines/sunk Capitol investment idk?

For not hacking and maiming the parcel tray/rear hat shelf metal on a ski-Dan, the MB-quart & Dynaudio 6?? Rounds under the Volvo sound disguised grates almost sounded good enough not to need a sub.

Of any of them, more rigid chassis sound deadened with the hood blanket 92-93 244s maybe with some dynomat added are about the only 200 series stiff/quiet enough in there even can sound kinda nice inside done up right?

All 240s I?ve seen with external amp have had the radio mounted in the ?86+ top spot which is a hard ?no? for me; I want the top cubby or gauges and hate bright lights or a distracting radio up top or a theft target (not so much sn issue anymore with $30 standard wiring color wall mart China knockoff stereo specials?).

Alpine made most of the external amps for Volvo in good quality recombining the junkpile , none particularly powerful or worth having of what came installed in the 240s. The 4x40 960 ?premium sound? amp isn?t super giant and can be used with the behind the glovebox bracket some 245SE got.
The dynaudio option alpine made V70R & 850R 200 & 250W amps are much larger to try to mount somewhere in the 240 cabin as is the 11 speaker P80 C70 dynaudio soesker & amp setup if recombining used junk & the front door C70 speakers are too giant to fit much of anywhere on any other model, even the other P80s :/?

Few of the Saab C900s with the premium clarion stereo had much for amps (they often did have a quality small external amp that had to hide in a tight cabin, however), but did have better form factors to adapt to a 240.

The C900 was sorta still a ?drivers? car after ?86 unlike a 240 as much which was sold as a loss leader/old model with few options oftentimes with lighter weight & SPG versions sans stupid heavy stereoz for ethnic beatz & sunroofs/similar.
Mostly well-to-do Caucasians (or adjacent regardless of race) bought the Swedish cars new, not dirtbag lowlifes?they had the $ to go to concerts, have a nice home stereo or had friends that could play live music professionally in those days?

Trying to find the 240 CR814 face plate (especially for lower mount, but it?s nice & dimmable green LCD up top) & use the CD changer input to display mp3 song file names was the old trick on brick board?rare part but cool recombine or the stock junkpile & plugs right into up to the 960 premium sound, 850R & V70R (w/the under seat amp option) was the smart money recombine the quality made in Japan factory bits back in the day. Dated and rare parts now?

Last edited:
Back