• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Experiences about holset hx40 super in redblocks?

Jussi Alanko

Does anyone have experience with the Holset hx40 super turbo.

I will buy a genuine new Holset hx40 super when I have my paycheck, it will take about a week.

I use diy Tubular exhaust manifold with Pulse splitting, then I get all the benefits from twin scroll turbo.

It would be good if those with this turbo in use could send some pictures about manifold, and how it fits in a 240 engine bay.

Thanks from advance, and greetings from this side of the pond.

My goal is something between 400-500hp at the crank.

I try to optimise engine so i will not have crank the boost to 2-2.5bar, instead i try to make 400 with only 1.6 bar of boost.

Man that is awlful big, you peak torque is gonna be in 6000+.

It will be absolutely fine.
Big boost from 3500+ is to be expected with a decent (twin scroll) manifold on a 2.3 and 16cm housing.
See savarturbo for results with this turbo.
400hp at 1.6 bar with a decent head sounds feasible to me.

I have a super HX40 16cm, (also 18 and 19cm housings if needed). I will test it and post spool results here.

This turbo should be a blast. :oogle:

What manifold do you have, or do you still need to make it? This is big to fit in a 240 engine bay.

It will be absolutely fine.
Big boost from 3500+ is to be expected with a decent (twin scroll) manifold on a 2.3 and 16cm housing.
See savarturbo for results with this turbo.
400hp at 1.6 bar with a decent head sounds feasible to me.

I have a super HX40 16cm, (also 18 and 19cm housings if needed). I will test it and post spool results here.

This turbo should be a blast. :oogle:

What manifold do you have, or do you still need to make it? This is big to fit in a 240 engine bay.

I will not make it by myself, it's gonna be custom from one speedshop in finland.

I just bought a new turbo, Holset hx40 Super, 500km driven, 400€.
For genuine Holset which is brand new, 400€ is dirt cheap.

Has anyone a legit compressor map, with efficiency islands, holset only provides a map without an islands, only full functional region.

Sorry bad english, but i think if i was wrote in finnish no one hasn't understand anything.

Vai kokeillaanko kuka ymm?rt?? ja kuka ei!

Now i get my turbo.
I also buy a aluminium jack that is light, but good, made in Finland, 136€

Couple of pictures about my turbo, i disassembled it and cleaned compressor housing with an ultrasonic cleaner.
I also cleaned the turbine housing.

My cat is also in the picture, it's cute!

I have a 18# turbine housing, i have a b21 engine so i think i buy a littler 16# turbine housing, what are your thoughts?

I would go with a 16 on a 2.1l, but you could always try the 18 and see how it performs.

I make a few calculations and this is outcome, max 500hv at 7000rpm, 445hv at 6000rpm etc.
This is the picture:

This is a regular hx40 compressor map, super 40 compressor map is wider to the left, so i avoid the choke line.
At high engine speeds, compressor works almost optimum efficiency.

This is super 40 map compared to regular 40 map, it's wider and handles more pressure.

Last edited:
I will buy a manifold like this, so it is a real twin scroll system...

grenror-volvo-240-8v.jpg

This is not my manifold, it's made by sweden exhaust, i might buy this one, or i will buy a one that it's designed to my engine, here in finland i can buy this kind of manifold about 300€.

Swedish exhaust manifold costs something about 500€

I dont know yet what i will buy. but i buy it at january 2021, so i can bolt it on the engine and make all the oil lines etc etc.

With this kind of manifold and a 16# exhaust housing, i think that i have positive pressure about 3000rpm, and max pressure at 3800-7200rpm ( rev limiter will be at 7200-7400rpm).

Last edited:
I will buy a manifold like this, so it is a real twin scroll system...

grenror-volvo-240-8v.jpg

This is not my manifold, it's made by sweden exhaust, i might buy this one, or i will buy a one that it's designed to my engine, here in finland i can buy this kind of manifold about 300?.

Swedish exhaust manifold costs something about 500?

I dont know yet what i will buy. but i buy it at january 2021, so i can bolt it on the engine and make all the oil lines etc etc.

With this kind of manifold and a 16# exhaust housing, i think that i have positive pressure about 3000rpm, and max pressure at 3800-7200rpm ( rev limiter will be at 7200-7400rpm).

That manifold looks the nuts!! Do you have a link to where I can get this from?

I will try this with 18# housing, i have discussed at this in finnish volvo forum and they say that 18# housing is not too big, especially with high engine speeds (limiter at 7200-7400rpm).

Back