• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M47 throuble shifting up into 3rd

sloopy

2-digit whp
I keep having issues shifting up into 3rd gear on my M47. It doesn't seem to be at all related to the synchros, but with the shifter/selector shafts. So I'll be in 2nd gear and when I move the shifter out of 2nd and towards 3rd (I'm in neutral), it feels like I get stuck in a notch between 1st and 3rd gear. When I get stuck in this notch, the only way to get it into third is to release the forward pressure on the shifter and then move the shifter forward again and it glides right into gear. Does this happen to anyone else?

The side to side slop in the shifter really isn't helping the situation either and I have the bronze shifter bushings too. Although honestly, I think these bushings allow some slop in the bottom connection where you have that rubber o-ring. I have been thinking about removing the o-ring, measuring the gap, and shimming the bushing down there.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have some wear inside the trans. Inside the top cover is a sliding plate that can develop wear in the area where the selector shaft piece move it. Make sure your clutch adjustment is correct and I'd also check the shift coupler for worn pins and a bad oring. Make sure the oil level is correct, too.

I just had the transmission out. That would have been a great time to pop the top cover off and inspect it. I did inspect the shift coupler and confirmed that it and the two pins are in perfect shape. I greased it up and replaced the oring when I put it back together.

The clutch is adjusted properly although I realize now that I should have used some sort of spacer behind the fork pivot ball as I've gotten nearly all the adjustment I can get out of the cable with the flat flywheel conversion. I used the old style sachs clutch kit with the new style sachs throwout bearing.

I filled it up to the top with amsoil type f supershift. I didn't overfill though.

Seems like you covered the bases pretty well. There are some springs in that top cover sliding plate that could be worn. The amsoil stuff is pretty good. But I've had better shift feel with the MTL Redline oil. You could try an oil like that which is more specific to a manual trans. The gears feel like they change a bit smoother with that stuff in my experience.

I have a feeling there is some wear/damage because when I got the car, it was very difficult to get into 1st and 2nd gear. The shifter bushings were trashed which meant the reverse detent plate was not adjusted properly anymore and didn't allow you to move the shifter over far enough to properly select the 1st and 2nd gate. This means someone was essentially jamming the shifter in between 1st and 3rd on a regular basis just to get the car into 1st gear and who knows how long that went on.

I'll try the redline mtl next time. I do want to build a fresh engine to drop in, so I could do all of this then.

Back