• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chuy checking in

Chuy665

Hello all,
New to the forum. I recently bought a 1980 242 DL with 205,000 miles. I have been working to get it running I am almost there.

I have a problem. We are moving to Guam in the western Pacific Ocean in July. I am debating if I should take it with me. The closest Volvo dealership is in Alaska. Parts would be ordered from the mainland.

It is an easy car to work on, but should I, once running, rely on it? It's a real gamble I know.

OR:
Leave it in storage in Colorado for 3-4 years. I want to keep it. So when I get back I will have an original unmolested 242 stick to tinker on.

Also would parts from Australia/ Japan "fit" my 242?
Chuy

Welcome to the site.

but hold up... You want to ship a non-running Volvo to Guam? Then you want to ship it back in a few years? This sounds like the most wild trip to the crusher I've ever heard. :lol:

I personally wouldn't consider shipping any car to Guam. Can you just buy one when you get there and sell when you leave? As far as parts from Japan or Australia, I guess it depends on the part. Those are RHD and probably have some different emissions and safety equipment. Otherwise, basic maintenance items like filters and brake hardware should be mostly the same. Maybe the headlight bulbs are different.

It isn't worth it if you have to pay the cost of shipping the car to and from Guam; but if an employer is doing it, why not?

There are auto parts stores in Guam for the basic items, and of course you'd always be able to order online for any specialized parts.

The downside would be not being able to drive while awaiting parts to be shipped to you from overseas.

Oh, unless you plan to do the maintenance and repair yourself, I'd advise you not to consider ownership of an old Volvo: they do require time and attention, and the cost is not worth it if you have to pay someone else to do the work (fails cost / benefit analysis).

I would suggest setting up your car for long term storage and spend the time getting parts to restore/upgrade the car. A well sorted 242dl is totally reliable. The kjet is usually the most simple type if it's a 49 state car. So, that car is a pleasure to have all the that room in the engine compartment. Drain the tank and the fuel system. It'll help stop varnish from building up. Put the car on jackstands if you want to try and use the tires when you get back. Don't forget the battery tender! Good luck with the car.

To clarify,
The employer will ship one vehicle if it runs... Being "simple" to work on is a plus, lack of access to parts will be an issue. Honestly, until it is run ning I don't know what else is wrong.

I appreciate the points of view....

To clarify,
The employer will ship one vehicle if it runs... Being "simple" to work on is a plus, lack of access to parts will be an issue. Honestly, until it is run ning I don't know what else is wrong.

I appreciate the points of view....

That makes a lot more sense. If you could get the car totally sorted before shipment, I could see it being a cool experience. I just wouldn't want to get to a remote island with a poorly running old car only to find out that I needed a part that wasn't super easy to get even on the main land. I'm not much of a risk taker in those situations though. It would be cool to say that your car had been to Guam when you get home!

Hello all,
New to the forum. I recently bought a 1980 242 DL with 205,000 miles. I have been working to get it running I am almost there.

I have a problem. We are moving to Guam in the western Pacific Ocean in July. I am debating if I should take it with me. The closest Volvo dealership is in Alaska. Parts would be ordered from the mainland.

It is an easy car to work on, but should I, once running, rely on it? It's a real gamble I know.

OR:
Leave it in storage in Colorado for 3-4 years. I want to keep it. So when I get back I will have an original unmolested 242 stick to tinker on.

Also would parts from Australia/ Japan "fit" my 242?
Chuy

I would not bring a non running kjet car to guam.

K-jets, while reliable on a running car, really do not enjoy storage. The tank will rust unless treated and the fuel pumps do not like to sit idle. The actual K-jet parts, fuel distributor and control pressure regulator really do not long term store well and have become incredibly expensive to replace.

Between the stay or go options you identify my vote is to get it running well and take it. Neither you or the car are going to enjoy a 3-4 year storage period.

If you're set on taking the car with you maybe stock up on a few spare parts and throw those in the trunk.

I have thought about taking spare parts with me. Any ideas what would be on this list?

We would buy a primary car to get around but will need a second car since my wife and I would be working IF I can get a civilian job on the local Air Force Base I would have access to the auto shop ( some tools, lifts and a place to work on it.

Lots of moving parts...

You don't state your location -- it might not matter, but I can think of one possibility that could:

IF you happened to be in CA, and if the car happens to have an original blue license plate, and if that historical fact happens to be important to you... once you license it in a different location, and bring it back, they will not let you reuse your old plate.

Back