• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 coilovers, stock struts or V90 struts?

mark244turbo

I want to convert the suspension of my volvo 745 to coilovers.
The guys in Sweden seem to prefer the V90 struts for building coilovers.
But i can't find out why they prefer the V90 struts over 740/940 struts.

Is that because then you can fit the V90/850/V70 wheels without spacers?
Is it because you can use shorter volvo 850 shock inserts?
Does it give better steering geometry?
Better brakes?
Stiffer swaybars?
Or is it because of the better availability of 850/v90/s90/v70/s60 etc coilover kits.

And what does it take to convert a V90 strut to fit a 740/940?

I found this post on T-bricks, but that doesn't clear it all up for me:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=154254

Ben thanks for the quick reply.

I've been comparing the front suspension pictures of the 940 and 960/v90 on volvopartswebstore.
It seems like the strut and spindle of the 960 are bolted together, while the 940 has a one-piece strut/spindle assembly. That may be the reason why some people prefer the 960 struts.

Are the 740 and 960 struts interchangable?

Last edited:
Ben thanks for the quick reply.

I've been comparing the front suspension pictures of the 940 and 960/v90 on volvopartswebstore.
It seems like the strut and spindle of the 960 are bolted together, while the 940 has a one-piece strut/spindle assembly.

You are correct, 960 uses a 2 bolt flange and 940 uses an insert.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. Personally i think the insert setup can be a little smarter, stronger, and lighter. The down side is it is more labor intensive when you need to work on it but how often are guys changing shocks? Every 50k or around here probably 150k ? :lol:

Looking at my front suspension i'd say every 200k.
The suspension was in great shape when i bought the car from the first owner (a 65 year old lady).
But i guess i have another driving style, old parts wear fast if you drive fast.

Please more info on this post! Have a 1987 volvo 745 as well trying to do coilovers in the next month or two

Every picture I have seen there welded. Is there a bolt on kit? If I do weld it do you have to heat up the cast metal first? Sorry I'm new :)

Please more info on this post! Have a 1987 volvo 745 as well trying to do coilovers in the next month or two

I stumbled upon a thread from Dalleracing on Garaget.org, where he describes into details how he build his coilovers for less than $ 150 each. It is in Swedish, but very picture heavy, almost self explaining.

He used:
Standard struts
Universal 2" coilover kit (around 6" long)
600lbs 7" long springs (front)
standard shocks :wtf:
Angle grinder with sanding disc + welder.

For the back i think he used 7" 500lbs springs with 4" 4lbs helper springs to keep the springs in place when you jack up the car (to make it road-legal).

I wonder how harsh the ride will be with 7" short 600lbs front and 7" 400-500lbs rear springs and stock shocks. And how long the shocks will last.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon a thread from Dalleracing on Garaget.org, where he describes into details how he build his coilovers for less than $ 150 each. It is in Swedish, but very picture heavy, almost self explaining.

He used:
Standard struts
Universal 2" coilover kit (around 6" long)
600lbs 7" long springs (front)
standard shocks :wtf:
Angle grinder with sanding disc + welder.

For the back i think he used 7" 500lbs springs with 4" 4lbs helper springs to keep the springs in place when you jack up the car (to make it road-legal).

I wonder how harsh the ride will be with 7" short 600lbs front and 7" 400-500lbs rear springs and stock shocks. And how long the shocks will last.

More or less same article/instructions here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=85793&highlight=coilovers

For european guys its cheaper to order from Compbrakeracing.. those sleeves also fit the strut without grinding and they cost only half the price rallyshop.se wants to have :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

absolutely horrible, who cares how long they last if its ****?

My coilovers have rolled a few miles now and think they are absolutely perfect. Hard but not as cut springs. And we have pretty bad roads (E4a) here, so you will not be disappointed with 600lbs together with Saab 900 G & M shocks.

Regards / Lindggren

This is what i build.

Shortened strut 40 mm
Saab 900 NG G&M shocks*
7" springs
600 lbs springs
0.7lbs helper springs

These guys seem to actually like it!

*Saab 900 New Generation (1994-1998). Little info on the G&M shocks. They are often sold as a kit together with lowering springs, so i guess they are shorter and stiffer.

Last edited:
Hope i am not annoying anyone on here with my questions.I found these bc coilovers . http://shop.j-spec.se/en/artiklar/bc-racing-br-coilovers-volvo-740-940-race-_-drift.html and like the quality (so i think there quality) and how easy they install. all i have to do is weld them in place. you can get the same coilovers on e bay for $1000. i think all i would have to do would be to change the 1987 spindles to a 91 and newer correct? would the 91 spindles bolt right on?

any info would help
thanks
nick siczak

aka newbee

For european guys its cheaper to order from Compbrakeracing.. those sleeves also fit the strut without grinding and they cost only half the price rallyshop.se wants to have :)

Which ones did you use? 2.25" or 2.5" spring platforms?

The strut itself has an 2.08" (52 mm) outside diameter and 1.85" (47 mm) inside diameter. So it's best to start with a 2.08" or bigger ID coilover sleeve.

Back