• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Web Camshaft

shoestring

Anybody ever use these guys before? I just got off the phone with them and they said that they have experience doing B21 cams, though it's not listed on the website or whatever.

Their quality is very inconsistent at least with the motorcycle cams I?ve dealt with in the last decade. My dad also has them grind cams for him, and it?s all over the place on quality. Issues I've had were all down to machine work and heat treating. And no warranty or admitting fault on their end. Wiped out a good number of race motors with their cams.... never again. Their valve spring kits should also be avoided as well.

Are you wanting a custom ground volvo cam?

Last edited:
Thought you would have input, thank you.

I'm considering it if I can find something that gives an improvement to the K that we currently run, but I'm not looking for a dyno queen kinda thing. 6-8 at 0.050 and as much lift as it can reasonably bear would be about right. If you look at agap's site something between the R33-243 and R33-254 grind is what I'm looking for. We've made real ground with the overall intake system flow from the filter to the valve, so to be honest I'm not sure a cam change is really necessary unless I can find precisely what I'm looking for, you know?

Web camshafts are very popular with air-cooled VW hotrodders. type 1 and 4 motors have the tendency to flatten lobes fast if something is wrong, I haven't heard of Web cam failures that would raise an alarm about quality. As long as you break it in with new shims and break-in lube you shouldn't have any issues.

Idk man, at one point I was building 25+ CRF450 top ends a year for racing. And we had a lot of failures from both Web and Megacycle. I received 10 billet cams that had holes unthreaded and didn?t go through heat treat. This is a straight fact. I?ve had cams chip on the nose of the cam when ran with their recommended spring kit and rpm ranges.

Switched to Hot Cams camshafts and KPMI springs and never had another failure again. :e-shrug:

That's definitely odd, maybe the quality control isn't the same between the VW cams and motorcycle cams. I'm not meaning to disregard your experience, that's strange to hear that you've seen so many failures.

Thought you would have input, thank you.

I'm considering it if I can find something that gives an improvement to the K that we currently run, but I'm not looking for a dyno queen kinda thing. 6-8 at 0.050 and as much lift as it can reasonably bear would be about right. If you look at agap's site something between the R33-243 and R33-254 grind is what I'm looking for. We've made real ground with the overall intake system flow from the filter to the valve, so to be honest I'm not sure a cam change is really necessary unless I can find precisely what I'm looking for, you know?

Those look like a lower lift profile, which may work well for you.
In talking with Erland a while back he suggested a custom cam from Jones Cam or Andrew?s Cam.

The KL Racing T5 could also work in your application. Should make 190-200hp with 45mm DCOEs, not sure with a stock type intake manifold.

If I was buying a cam for my VW. I'd buy the Engle cam if they are still being made.

Engle is still the go to. Like buying a cam for any car, it comes down to what profile you want. Web offers a few different lobe separation angles to choose from on some of their cams, and make some good "mild" stuff that works with small ports and carbs.

Back