• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No gears after AW71 swap and accumulator mod.

Hey all,

I have a 240 LH2.4 B230F+T and my AW70 recently died. It was slipping, shuddering, and eventually lost all drive. We topped up the trans fluid as it wasn't reading on the dipstick any more after its final drive, allowing it to idle as we filled it and checked the level. When it got to the right level on the dipstick, still no drive, wouldn't 'clunk' into gear at all. Oh well.

A few days later I went back to pick up my 240 as I left it at my mates place and when I started her up, it dropped into gear and we had drive! Drive around town for a bit, still very slippy and shuddering, but we made it home and lost drive AS we pulled into the driveway.

Sourced an AW71 that appears to be healthy, and I believe that it was fine when it was removed from its old home. Did the accumulator mod, made sure the pistons sat flush, all the bolts back in, the tubes in all the way, the shifting arm was in the same way, everything seemed fine.

Put the transmission in with a healthy AW70 torque converter, making sure it aligned with the oil pump correctly. Started her up, filled the fluid and took about 5 liters, had already filled the torque converter. After a while, the dipstick was reading between min and max, yet wouldn't drop into gear. Checked the selector linkage, that's all OK and in the right spot. Visually checked to see the torque converter spinning freely.

The only thing I didn't hook up is the kickdown cable. It's hanging freely in the engine bay at the moment, and the old one that we cut off is sitting in the holder.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? I'm going to hook up the kickdown cable next time I'm at my mates place, but can't see why that'd cause the issue.

Cheers,
Sam.

gotta leak in there or it's not sucking fluid. make sure you didn't shim the accumulators too proud and push the vb off the case.

Filter screen to spacer, spacer to VB, VB to trans.

There was a gasket between the filter and the VB, Removed VB, there was a gasket, a spacer and a gasket between the VB and trans. The gasket between the filter and the VB wasn't great but I doubt that'd be the problem.

No filter screen between the VB and trans though..

Are you sure that the gear selector is aligned with the lever inside the trans?

MTPIZQ5h.jpg

Are you sure that the gear selector is aligned with the lever inside the trans?

MTPIZQ5h.jpg

I was just reading through this post. I'm pretty certain it was all correct. The selector rod on the side of the trans still clicks into the 6 selections, and on the inside we put the gear selector in the same spot.

What I'm not sure about is the 'gear jammer' that sits under the valve body, but I would think the selector on the side of the box wouldn't shift at all if that were the case?

Last edited:
you will have the rooster combs even if the selector rod isn't in the detent. that's an easy one and it will do exactly what you're describing.

There are 2 separate gaskets that I had to replace when I did mine. I only did one because the other was "perfect". I had to replace it a few weeks later because one section about 1mm long had torn on one side but was still attached on the other.

It's been a while, so I am probably missing some details, but Volvo AW-70/71 are both Toyota A43D transmissions with a new label and maybe different bellhousing. I did find a guide for Volvos that shows an arrow for a shift ball in the *wrong* place. It's off by 1 divider. Match it to where it was when you disassembled it. If I remember right, there are 3 balls and the one that's lowest and most to the right has an arrow in the wrong place.

When the gasket was torn on mine, it went into gear, but felt wrong. It didn't slip, but felt like it was binding - probably engaging multiple clutches at a time or some other Bad Thing.

If it's just the gear selection, try the other 2 forward gears (and keep in mind that Park may not be Park). If D doesn't engage, but 2 does, ok. I think that 2 uses most of the circuits for D and 1 uses its own special circuit.

Out of curiousity, what fluids are you using? Any sign of coolant leaking into the transmission fluid?

Back