home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-16-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
1968 volvo
Board Member

Default 140 throw out bearing

Stupid dumb idiot throw out bearing. About 10 miles on the first throw out bearing and it started squealing, I re greased it and it worked just fine for about 10 more miles. I got a new throwout bearing (both from vp) and this one had the audacity to start squealing now too. This will be the way too many-ith time I’ve pulled the transmission out. Is the one from vp notorious for failing? Is it something else? When I re greased the bearing the problem went away and the bearing is just fine when inspecting it (smooth, no play, ect.)I’m wondering if it’s possibly the grease I’m using. It’s high temp grease that my grandpa gave me. That’s about all I know about it. Tempted to try greasing it with something else but I want to have a game plan before pulling out the transmission for the way too many-ith and 1st time. Also the squealing gets worse as things heat up like for example after driving for a min or so. I’m really leaning towards bad grease?!? I don’t know lol
Old 11-16-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
planetman
Board Member

Does the noise change when you step/release the clutch pedal?

Which clutch and which T/O bearing are you using, F&S or B&B? Part numbers or pictures would be helpful
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 05:58 PM   #3
alschnertz
Enough already!

What are you greasing on the throw out bearing?

The outside that rubs against the clutch fingers? That would be weird.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:28 PM   #4
James M
Bored member

I have greased a total of 0 TOBings (although I do grease the input shaft snout that the TOB rides on) in my life and never had an issue after install. As mentioned when does the noise happen, and what combo of parts? Maybe a 480p video would help illuminate the problem, might be another issue entirely.

I've got a spare known good TOB and can help with R&R early December if it's still an issue by then
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:43 PM   #5
1968 volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetman View Post
Does the noise change when you step/release the clutch pedal?

Which clutch and which T/O bearing are you using, F&S or B&B? Part numbers or pictures would be helpful
Only makes noise when there’s pressure on the petal. I would like to make a correction too. It’s a b&b off of rock auto. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...e+bearing,1968
1968 volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:49 PM   #6
1968 volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
I have greased a total of 0 TOBings (although I do grease the input shaft snout that the TOB rides on) in my life and never had an issue after install. As mentioned when does the noise happen, and what combo of parts? Maybe a 480p video would help illuminate the problem, might be another issue entirely.

I've got a spare known good TOB and can help with R&R early December if it's still an issue by then
I greased the imput shaft and where the little things that push on the bearing. I’m not talking about the clutch fingers but the lever doodad that attaches to the cable.

I can’t say that I didn’t grease where the bearing pushes on the clutch fingers. I hope that’s not the issue but possible. Would that cause a squealing?
Old 11-16-2022, 11:49 PM   #7
1968 volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alschnertz View Post
What are you greasing on the throw out bearing?

The outside that rubs against the clutch fingers? That would be weird.
Not sure
Old 11-17-2022, 12:08 AM   #8
James M
Bored member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 volvo View Post
I greased the imput shaft and where the little things that push on the bearing. I’m not talking about the clutch fingers but the lever doodad that attaches to the cable.

I can’t say that I didn’t grease where the bearing pushes on the clutch fingers. I hope that’s not the issue but possible. Would that cause a squealing?
Clutch fork is what I believe you are describing

Yeah do NOT grease where the bearing touches the fingers. I wouldn't think it would make noise but you never know.

If this is the style TOB (for F&S clutch kits IIRC but HiPA will if I do not) than I would grease the blue, not the red. Inside where it rides on the snout and where it pivots on the fork (plus where the fork pivots on the bellhousing)

If you've installed this TOB than I would again grease the blue and NOT the red. This matches the Borg and Beck clutch kit, if you use a Sachs kit you need the other TOB above
Old 11-17-2022, 12:09 AM   #9
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

You only need to grease the splines and the guide tube that the throwout bearing slides on. I use a high temp moly grease which lasts a long time.
It's what is used in CV joints.

Any grease elsewhere can get on the clutch disc and burn causing squealing and a slipping clutch.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:40 AM   #10
1968 volvo
Board Member

What abt the other tob the one I showed you I bought? Does that one fit and work? I can’t find the clutch I bought but I’m pretty sure it’s sachs from rock auto. But then again I had to buy the TOB separately so I don’t know.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:42 AM   #11
1968 volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Clutch fork is what I believe you are describing

Yeah do NOT grease where the bearing touches the fingers. I wouldn't think it would make noise but you never know.

If this is the style TOB (for F&S clutch kits IIRC but HiPA will if I do not) than I would grease the blue, not the red. Inside where it rides on the snout and where it pivots on the fork (plus where the fork pivots on the bellhousing)

If you've installed this TOB than I would again grease the blue and NOT the red. This matches the Borg and Beck clutch kit, if you use a Sachs kit you need the other TOB above
Thanks for the clear and easy to understand drawings!! Although this is what I understood from talk, a picture eliminates almost all confusing.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:45 AM   #12
1968 volvo
Board Member

I actually have an other Tob like the second one James m posted a picture of. I suppose I’m going to pull out my m40 again. Yay!!!! And replace the TOB and make for certain that grease is in the right places only. My previous record for transmission out and then back in after doing whatever work necessary is 50 min. Let’s see what I can do.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:53 AM   #13
James M
Bored member

Bottom TOB is for the Borg and Beck clutch kit, hopefully just dealing with the wrong TOB