home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-30-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

Default Anybody running 7" LEDs? 242GT grill for $1k on fleabay !!

Has anyone found a decent set of 7" LED round headlights to run in a flatnose? I've had widely varying results with fleabay LED headlights, so now I only buy a
specific model that is recommended by someone who has them. All our fire trucks have LED headlights and Chief said he had to toss about half because they
failed, had poor output or weird patterns. Same thing I've found. Any Jeep guys here? I see a lot of round LED headlights on Jeeps in TX.

Our 242GT has the original grill but it's cracked in several places, and missing one top mounting ear. Removing it without breaking it up worse was walking on eggshells.

But given the $1000 asking price for one such as this on fleabay, I think we'll just epoxy up the back siide, and fab a new mounting ear from JB Weld or similar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20413008828...wAAOSw0ldjVaXw Check out the backside of this one, which shows a lot of age for $1000. On the positive side the
front looks OK and he's apparently selling the e-code lamps and buckets with it.
RenoHuskerDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #2
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

There's a lot of good but expensive and really ugly options aimed at jeeps (see jw speaker headlights) but Holleys retrobright line has 7 inch versions I believe. I just put a pair of their 4x6 rectangles in my 240 the other day and they're pretty darn good. 3000k color from LEDs is the best part. I wrote up a post to share and compare but I forgot and shut off my pc.

There's also a plethora of sealed beam to H4 bulb housings out there, those seem like a decent middle of the road option. Hella makes some that I was looking at for not a lot of money.
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:32 PM   #3
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
There's a lot of good but expensive and really ugly options aimed at jeeps (see jw speaker headlights) but Holleys retrobright line has 7 inch versions I believe. I just put a pair of their 4x6 rectangles in my 240 the other day and they're pretty darn good. 3000k color from LEDs is the best part. I wrote up a post to share and compare but I forgot and shut off my pc.

There's also a plethora of sealed beam to H4 bulb housings out there, those seem like a decent middle of the road option. Hella makes some that I was looking at for not a lot of money.
Our 242GT came with those H4 sealed units. One has its lens detached from the reflector. Still works, for now, but eventually the shine will go bye bye.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:15 AM   #4
RenoHuskerDu
Board Member

Default ABS repair resin

This product is aimed at repairing automotive grills. Has anyone repaired their Volvo grill using this product or another similar one?

https://easyabsrepair.com/you-can-do...x-a-car-grill/

Video says it dries to flat black. 242GT grill is silver color, so would need repainting afterward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fBe6Aj9bCs&t=23s
Old 11-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #5
CarlosGato

Default My head lights are terrible, is LED good in ebay?

Me too I see jeeps with lights that ar in my eyes, but other jeeps have good lights. All them jeep guys have special ights every where on them.

But mine round lights are so yellow on the road I think I want to try LED light now. My mechanic says E codes are no good any more beacuse of LED getting better, but be careful because eabay has a lot of junk.

Does anybody here have some ebay LED link to share that worked good for you for a long time now?
CarlosGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #6
CarlosGato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu View Post
Has anyone found a decent set of 7" LED round headlights to run in a flatnose? I've had widely varying results with fleabay LED headlights, so now I only buy a
specific model that is recommended by someone who has them. All our fire trucks have LED headlights and Chief said he had to toss about half because they
failed, had poor output or weird patterns. Same thing I've found. Any Jeep guys here? I see a lot of round LED headlights on Jeeps in TX.

Our 242GT has the original grill but it's cracked in several places, and missing one top mounting ear. Removing it without breaking it up worse was walking on eggshells.

But given the $1000 asking price for one such as this on fleabay, I think we'll just epoxy up the back siide, and fab a new mounting ear from JB Weld or similar.
Hello sir did you find some good lights LED yet? and if you every want to sell that 242GT we are in Texas too but
down by El PAso which is not too far mostly unles you are in Panhandle, we can come get it for you we have
trailers and we do hot shot

Last edited by CarlosGato; 11-22-2022 at 11:00 AM..
Old 11-22-2022, 11:38 AM   #7
Radtap
Board Member

Cibie H4 7in housing and then stick whatever Chinese H4 LED or conventional bulb you want in them. $75 on the fleabay
Old 11-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #8
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosGato View Post
Me too I see jeeps with lights that ar in my eyes, but other jeeps have good lights. All them jeep guys have special ights every where on them.

But mine round lights are so yellow on the road I think I want to try LED light now. My mechanic says E codes are no good any more beacuse of LED getting better, but be careful because eabay has a lot of junk.

Does anybody here have some ebay LED link to share that worked good for you for a long time now?
H4 lamps are affordable have good value. Good led lights are very expensive. Sure you can use Chinese LEDs but they will be blinding to other drivers. How often will you drive your Volvo at night really?
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:25 PM   #9
CarlosGato

My brother has a good brand of LED bulbs from Amazon, he is using them in all our hot shot pickups and so far none have failed, which is amazing. He says something about the focus point being super small is good so the light on the road is good, he says. Nobody flashes high beems at us anyway. I like your Cibei idea, that is the brand name modled on our blinkers Volvos too. so it must be good if Volvo put them on in their factory Thank you guys
Old 11-22-2022, 09:21 PM   #10
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

The main issues with aftermarket LED bulbs (the ones that drop into existing halogen housings) are usually beam pattern. A lot of the time they throw light way above the cutoff where it's supposed to be. You can check by pulling up to a wall in the dark - your headlights should cast a nice bright area up to a flat line on the wall, then cut off sharply and not cast light high enough to blind oncoming vehicles. Optionally the right side cutoff is sometimes a little higher in the USA, since it goes less into oncoming traffic and helps illuminate pedestrians and obstacles on the edge of the road.

The sealed-beam replacements from reputable manufacturers are, as far as I know, pretty good - but still worth checking your beam pattern just in case.
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:20 PM   #11
Radtap
Board Member

Even with my Cibie housings half ass aligned they do not illuminate the windshield of oncoming traffic on lowbeams on a straight and don't come up above the trunk lid of most modern and older cars. There is absolutely no reason your low beams need to ever be pointed that high and that far. Pay attention when you're driving at night, if you can tell you're lighting up the interior of the car ahead of you or their side mirrors when very close you need to fix them.

https://www.amazon.com/Hella-0023950...03572805&psc=1

Those are also an option
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:02 PM   #12
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtap View Post
Man, those are cheap as chips!

I ship small packages/purchases on Fridays, and larger ticket items via FedEx in the middle of the week.
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:05 PM   #13
Radtap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishiron.com View Post
Man, those are cheap as chips!
Should mention if it wasn’t obvious, listing is only for one afaik, gotta order two
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote