home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-15-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
eebird
Board Member

Default 240 wagon tail lamp assembly replacements

I gather there are a lot of aftermarket brands/versions of these available. Can anyone recommend one that is the best to get, for fit or quality? Or are they all basically the same? I see IPD sells some, also FCP Euro. Some on ebay and Amazon as well.
eebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:59 PM   #2
Johnnya101
Board Member

I -THINK- the ones I got are Swedish Auto Lamps. Bought on ebay. Great quality for the price. Only thing that bugs me is one orange lens is a slightly lighter color...

SOLD
1988 240DL Sedan

Last edited by Johnnya101; 11-18-2022 at 12:25 PM..
Johnnya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:20 PM   #3
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

First choice would be nice condition used original. If you must have new then the genuine Volvo ones are the best. I've used the Swedish Car Parts ones on my 93 and they are very nice. Use a 1073 bulb in the bottom location instead of an 1157 to help keep the light bulb heat from melting the plastic.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
283SD
Board Member

I got a pair from IPD they seem to be well made.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
white855T
Board Member

They are still available from Volvo. Left side https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...8/1372441.html right side https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...3/1372442.html

Swedish car parts are good replacements but they do fade after about 5 years.

Finding good used ones is great option. Post a wanted post or look on ebay.

Here is a nice pair on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/40397463668...Bk9SR6TS2ZaQYQ
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #6
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Having used both "good used" and "aftermarket" options - I found that the aftermarket ones were cleaner and nicer looking IMO, and less likely to have surprise melted contacts or back plastic.

That said - they don't come with bulb holders and used ones often do. Buying new bulb holders is $$$ if you aren't reusing your old ones for some reason. And the aftermarket options are kind of expensive too.

If you are concerned about UV fading (I never had an issue with mine) there's a lot of good spray or wipe-on clear coat products which are for protecting plastic lenses against UV. Usually they're sold as headlight protectants. I think you can get a film too but that sounds like a pain.

Bonus tip - The upper rear foglight position can be populated on both sides and wired up to your brake light circuit so that you have 5 total brake lights for better visibility.
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
They are still available from Volvo. Left side https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...8/1372441.html right side https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...3/1372442.html

Swedish car parts are good replacements but they do fade after about 5 years.

Finding good used ones is great option. Post a wanted post or look on ebay.

Here is a nice pair on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/40397463668...Bk9SR6TS2ZaQYQ
Last time I ordered volvo genuine part 245 tail lamps, they were made in Taiwan non cibie tail lights.

Was not impressed with the quality unfortunately.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #8
2manyturbos

^^ No surprise. Almost everything Volvo sells for the 240 is an aftermarket part. Their Genuine Volvo down pipe is a piece of crap Walker relabeled. Same thing with their "OE" exhaust systems. Relabeled Walker junk. Their strut mounts are pure garbage. Most likely made in China. A pair lasted less than 5,000 miles/2 years on mr brick driver's 242.

I have experienced the complete opposite situation with the tail lights, both sedan and wagon. OE Volvo lights have never melted a socket. With the aftermaket lights both the sedan and wagon lights almost always melt the dual filament bulb socket.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #9
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

The aftermarket sedan tail light circuit cards are so thin. It's amazing there is enough material to have the copper trace on it. If you poke too hard with your finger you'll tear it. Instead of the socket melting I've seen the circuit card melt.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:34 PM   #10
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
^^ No surprise. Almost everything Volvo sells for the 240 is an aftermarket part. Their Genuine Volvo down pipe is a piece of crap Walker relabeled. Same thing with their "OE" exhaust systems. Relabeled Walker junk. Their strut mounts are pure garbage. Most likely made in China. A pair lasted less than 5,000 miles/2 years on mr brick driver's 242.

I have experienced the complete opposite situation with the tail lights, both sedan and wagon. OE Volvo lights have never melted a socket. With the aftermaket lights both the sedan and wagon lights almost always melt the dual filament bulb socket.
Ah sorry if I was unclear. OE lights probably have thicker plastic. Maybe I just have had bad luck with sourcing "good used" but I managed to get two beat-up pairs in a row and one of them had a melted socket. (Was looking for replacements since the ones on the old budget wagon had melted on both sides).

Secret to avoiding socket melt IMO is good clean contacts on both the holder and lighting assembly, and good spring tension if you can help it. You can also reduce the amp load with LED bulbs but then you have to deal with the failure relay.

Those flex PCBs on the sedan lights sound terrible. I think even if I got a nice OE one I'd want to hardwire it. But I've been avoiding sedans like the plague this whole time.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:14 PM   #11
atikovi
Board Member

I was looking for a used one a few weeks ago but people on Facebook, Craigslist and Ebay want stupid money for faded and cracked examples like this one for $73 with shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12549882199...temCondition=4 Maybe for $25 or $30 it would be ok for a beater, but no thanks. Bought this brand new one for $75 and it was plug and play: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31352065893...Bk9SR5bF6beVYQ
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:47 PM   #12
hessam69
Board Member

What can be done about the thin aftermarket circuit board? Or are OEM new taillights available?
hessam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #13
go240go
Board Member

I've been using the Swedish Car Parts tails on my 245 for a few years so far. I went with LED's for the running and brake lights (bottoms are running and brakes, and wired top fogs as brakes), and left the turns and reverse as halogens. I wired the bulb holders directly to bypass the issue-prone circuit board. I haven't seen any melting yet, and no longer have intermittent bulbs going dark due to inconsistent contacts like I did with the old tails.