home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 05-24-2022, 05:06 PM   #126
2manyturbos

My local club EESCC arranged and hosted an Evolution Racing School at Sanderson Field last weekend. It was a great learning event and went off smooth as glass. Great instruction, an excellent venue and good weather the entire time. It doesn't get any better than that. I recorded my "Graduation" runs each day so I would have something to remember the whole experience by. I didn't trim Sunday's video so the camera would show just how big Sanderson/Shelton is. This is the first time I have been there. That is EVO instructor Kevin Dietz lining me up at the start. Even though I have been Autocrossing since 1993 I went ahead and signed up for the course. Phase 1 is geared for beginners. Phase 2 is a more advance course meant for those that have been at it for awhile. You can not take Phase 2 without having taken Phase 1 because it builds on ideas taught in Phase 1. There is enough material covered even an advanced Autocrosser can benefit from Phase 1. The hard part for me was just taking it in knowing that the instructors don't know me from Adam and are teaching me a lot of the beginning baby steps on day 1. An example of that is my trail braking all the way into mid corner and then releasing the brake and rolling on the gas. That comes from years of experimentation and practice. Beginning Autocross is taught the same as Road Racing. Hard braking in a straight line, turn in, ease on the gas mid corner and exit. That's great if you can't feel what your car is doing. On day 2 I didn't hear a single comment about my braking or entry. Different instructors on day 2 with a different agenda. They might ask me why I did what I did in a particular section and then were satisfied with my answer. Anyway, I learned some new material over the weekend and am happy I spent the time and money to attend the course. I've been wanting to attend an EVO school since I first heard about them back in 1997. At the end of each day each student makes three runs in their car by themself, no input, while all the instructors watch and take note of how we drove the final course of the day. BTW, day 2 we didn't even get to do a course walk and the course was changed several times during the day. A quick look at a course map they held up was all we got. The whole idea of Phase 2 is Autocross is an intense mental exercise. How well can one quickly adapt to change. Here are my "Graduation" runs from each day.
Phase 1 final exam

Phase 2 final

2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:02 PM   #127
2manyturbos

Back to Evergreen Aviation Museum for another Autocross event with WMC. We had perfect weather. 70 degrees daytime high. Just warm enough for great grip, cool enough for maximum power. I used this event to scrub in my brand new set of Advan A052s so I will be ready for the SCCA National Championship Tour at Packwood, WA next weekend. The Advans did not have much grip the first few runs. It takes a few runs to rough up their slick finish right out of the mold and to scrub off the mold release agent. By my fifth run there were starting to stick fairly well. After this heat cycling and scrubbing they should be very fast next weekend. All 5 of my runs were within .5 seconds of each other. A good indication I am getting to know this car and what it does. I have my work cut out for me at the National Tour. SCCA dumped several B-Street category cars into F-Street this year. Supposedly, my 2019 GT is the same car as a 2019 Shelby GT 350. Yeah, right. Anyway, at least this 2019 GT with the 10R80 is quite a bit quicker than my 2017 6 speed manual car is/was. I'm going to do my best to make life miserable for the 5 Camaro SS 1LEs that were dumped from B-Street into my F-Street class.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #128
RichGT
Board Member

Question: this doesn't compute for me. Why do this in a flat tamac carpark. If you want tarmac, wouldn't you get a stretch of road with corners and as a club get its closed for the event?...or is it not that easy to do. I only see this done in the US...just wondering
Old 07-06-2022, 09:21 PM   #129
2manyturbos

There are events like you described as well. They aren’t considered autocross though. This is just how this sport evolved. Parking lots. It’s been a sport in the US since the early 50s. The main reason behind using big parking lots is most the time there’s no obstructions. Therefore, you can drive your car to the limit without fear of hitting anything. We have Autocross events that are in lots that have all kinds of obstructions and possible points for a serious accident and that occasionally happens. The national tour event this weekend is venue that has almost nothing that somebody can hit. It’s an old lumber mill with a gigantic piece of pavement behind the old Mill buildings. At that event I won’t hold back. At the Evergreen Aviation museum racing around those islands and aircraft makes me tone down my driving quite a bit.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:19 AM   #130
kahluaTDI
Board Member

That's excellent course design for that lot. Kudos to whoever set that up.

Also, one of the bigger reasons autocross tends to not be on a road course is cost. Tracks are very expensive to rent for a day, insurance is considerably higher since you have to meet the track's required minimums, more space means more workers, higher prices means the requirement for more entries. A parking lot can cast $500 for the day, compared to a track that will range from 3-12k/day.

All of those road courses are a business, there's no free lunch to use their track.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:10 AM   #131
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

This^.

Auto cross, 24hr chumpcar & gambler-like events are good budget affordable options in the USA?

But especially auto-x…you can do that with a helmet (I think you can still technically use a motorcycle helmet at many events but they’re often difficult to see out of in a car cabin/somewhat frowned upon?)& basic safety check.
Maybe slightly better tires if anything?

But we’re talking 10s or 100s of dollars and bite sized weekend days worth of time (long day or night before if you set up the course / you’ll be tired?) not 1000s+ per applicant per day with insurance and all in the USA?

Not necessarily a dedicated not-so-street-legal caged/irreversibly modified vehicle & considerable costs per event…

Looks like some clean runs in 2manyturbos vids...hard to tell the speeds & gears exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 07-10-2022 at 07:03 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #132
RichGT
Board Member

got it, cool!
RichGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:11 PM   #133
2manyturbos

I has been awhile since I posted videos. It has been a busy season running with clubs all over the north west. I also ran the SCCA Solo Championship tour event in Packwood, WA in July. That event was proof that my GT is now seriously outgunned in F Street class after SCCA in their infinite wisdom move some really fast cars from B Street into F Street just before this year's Solo season began. Those cars included the Mustang GT PP2, the Camaro SS 1LE, the Shelby GT 350 and the new Mach 1 Mustang. The Nationals in Lincoln, NW were held about 3 weeks ago and sure enough, the Mach 1 took top honors in FS. Anyway, on to this last weekend. I ran the SSCC Fall Enduro again. I always wanted to run that event with a car capable of a record run to see how I would do against top drivers that have run the event. In practice last year I was running record setting pace. Then, Sunday around noon it started to rain. By the time I ran the track was flooded in places. I came home with a class first place, yet, no chance of a record. I went back this year hoping for good weather as was forecast. Saturday I was running even quicker than the previous year. I'm sure that had to do with the 10R80 10 speed in the newer GT. I registered for this event 1/2 hour after it opened up on Motorsport.reg so that I had the best chance of getting the practice session and run group times I wanted. I picked the 1:00-4:30 Saturday practice session in order to run on a warm track and have time to recover from the 4.5 hour towing drive down to the track. I picked the 11:20-12:30 run group time slot in order for the track to be dry and warm, yet, not hot. I've been to this event when afternoon temps were 100+ degrees. The forecast was for 75 degree daytime highs both days. We actually got 90 degree temps both days. That meant tire temps were going to be a problem for me. I'm on Advan A052s. They are fast right out of the gate, yet, heat up quickly. Even in a normal Autocross event competitors have to cool them down between runs after 2-3 50 second runs. I played with that at the Porsche Club event the weekend before heading to this event and it definitely makes a difference. The tires for this event in street class were the Falken RT660 or the new Bridgestone RE-71RS. Both of those tires were faster each lap on fellow competitors cars. They aren't as quick the first run of a typical Autocross, however, they catch up by the 2nd-3rd run and hold up to the heat much better. So, my run. First lap to fifth lap. 51.007, 50.880, 51.211, 51.457, 51.677 for a total of 4 minutes, 16.232 seconds. Fast enough to set a new track record for F Street. The previous record was 4 minutes 16.793 seconds. .561 second difference. Here is one of my practice runs Saturday when I had a fellow competitor riding along so I could show her the line she should be driving. Also, the record setting run. You only get one attempt. No mistakes. Dance on the edge of the razor blade, don't fall off.

Saturday practice.

Sunday's trophy run.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:25 PM   #134
Bready
board deviant

Very cool stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSwanson View Post
Yeah, you just wanna troll me rather than discovering if povidone is safe to gargle or not, got it. I admit I did not see that it was for penises
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverMeat View Post
\As Apachecheif has pointed out… I’m a dumbass.

Kalazdar - (3/23/83 to 5/12/03)
MUST READ!!! https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/24...-adds-screwed/
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:03 PM   #135
DD Ranch
Board Member

My wife took this photo of me at our Sebring Fall Meet and Track Day last week.
Still kind of amazed I even made it out on the track! It might turn out to be one of those once in a lifetime things for me as I don't know if I'll ever get another chance. So, very glad to have made it. It was a great weekend.

Last edited by DD Ranch; 10-23-2022 at 06:10 PM..
DD Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #136
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Ranch View Post
My wife took this photo of me at our Sebring Fall Meet and Track Day last week.
Still kind of amazed I even made it out on the track! It might turn out to be one of those once in a lifetime things for me as I don't know if I'll ever get another chance. So, very glad to have made it. It was a great weekend.

Very cool. It's addictive. Be careful, the first hit is free. After that...
Old 10-24-2022, 03:20 PM   #137
JohnMc
PV Abuser

My best run from yesterday:

Funny how some parts stand out when rewatching it. Like how slow I am to get on the throttle on the big sweeper at the back end of the track.

5th place, 0.032 seconds from 4th, 1.2 seconds off the leaders in my group.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:24 PM   #138
JohnMc
PV Abuser

1st run of the morning, it was a bit cool, and the RT660's don't like cool (much less cold, lololol), I was a bit sketched out by how loose the rear end was in the first couple of corners that I was hesitant most of the rest of the way around. Seemed like even though there was a fair amount of time between runs (we got 6 in each) after the first run they were warmed up enough, and stayed warm enough to be grippy.

Old 10-24-2022, 03:39 PM   #139
2manyturbos

Quote:
My best run from yesterday:

Funny how some parts stand out when rewatching it. Like how slow I am to get on the throttle on the big sweeper at the back end of the track.

5th place, 0.032 seconds from 4th, 1.2 seconds off the leaders in my group.
Nice driving. What an awesome venue. To have that much unobstructed pavement/concrete to operate on is a rarity these days. I noticed that as well. My hunch, you were not looking ahead enough and didn't know where you were for a split second. My whole weekend went like that last weekend. You were also really wide on that sweeper. Probably, gave up .3 seconds there. That's why I try to video every run I make. It improves my driving to see where I gave up speed, distance etc. There is a saying about Autocross that is absolutely true. There is no perfect run, just a series of mistakes strung together. The driver with the fewest mistakes wins. I've had maybe one run in 29 years of Autocross that approached perfect. It was top PAX for the day against a really tough crowd on a very technical course. Your Miata accelerates better than I expected it to, is it stock? It accelerates like the Turbo conversions I run with in my area.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #140
JohnMc
PV Abuser

It's a Mazdaspeed, factory turbo, tweaked slightly from there. About 220 at the wheels.

Yeah, I think in my head I'm thinking that going wider in the sweeper lets me go a bit faster, but in reality the going farther part negates the going faster part.

And yeah, lots of space on that venue: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7472.../data=!3m1!1e3

Looks like some tire marks on the pavement in the Google sat view from some event.

PS: Also by far the busiest day I've ever had doing course work. We were on the section just past the sweeper with the 5 cone slalom - people were coming in hot and regularly whomping the number 2, 3, 4 cones.

Last edited by JohnMc; 10-24-2022 at 03:52 PM..
Old 10-24-2022, 04:03 PM   #141
2manyturbos

Quote:
It's a Mazdaspeed, factory turbo, tweaked slightly from there. About 220 at the wheels.

Yeah, I think in my head I'm thinking that going wider in the sweeper lets me go a bit faster, but in reality the going farther part negates the going faster part.
You are exactly correct. You are going faster, and losing time at the same time in that particular part of the course. There is no set rule for the quickest line. Slightly wide in a corner that leads to a straight away is a good line in order to keep momentum up and get back on the gas sooner. Wide in a long sweeper loses time. Wide to get in better position for a decreasing radius corner is a good line. Most of the "rules" of road racing fall short when applied to Autocross. I bought Solostorm at the end of last year's season and it really helped tighten up my driving. It's amazing to be able to see exactly what is happening when the run is logged with position, throttle setting, g-forces, speed etc. I can be 6" off the line running faster and losing time according to the data. I can overlay runs and compare them. I'm in the early stages of data logging. I need to get faster at it so that I can look at a run as soon as I'm back in grid. All the top competitors have been doing this for several years. I finally decided to join in on the trend.

You have the perfect platform for Autocross. The Mazdaspeed Miata is a really quick, balanced car that is super competitive for very little investment.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:17 PM   #142
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I'm intrigued by Solostorm. I'm probably not at a point where it would benefit me much at this point, but it seems like some good coaching.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:51 PM   #143
2manyturbos

At this event I had to put the camera inside the car because I forgot they require a tether if the camera is mounted via suction cup on the outside of the car. It is the only club where I have run into this rule. The advantage is I get to see what I'm doing while driving. It helped me correct some bad habits. The disadvantage is you can't see the course as well in the video. There was a pretty long sweeper on this course. Plenty of people were walking the course WAY wide. This course was copied from one of the Nationals courses in the past. It is set up so that you can take several different lines and basically, hang yourself. My weekend was filled with mistakes. I could tell after the first run I wasn't operating at 100% and it stayed that way all weekend. I did PAX 10th Saturday and 4th on Sunday. To the naked eye my runs looked fast and were compared to the competition. The logged data told a different story. I was really sloppy all weekend. No two runs were the same. We're not talking adjust apexes by inches, more like feet. 10 runs per day on the same course, run in the opposite direction on the second day. My best time in each direction was only 0.295 seconds different. Autocross is such a mental game. I have good days and bad days/weekends. I like having the data logs to see what is actually happening. The sooner you make the jump to logging the sooner your driving will make a mega jump. The butt dynamometer is quite inaccurate. This was the last event of the season for this area. We are running at Mt. Bachelor Ski area at 6,300' elevation. Their parking lot is huge and very uneven. You have to read the pavement during the course walk to keep track of all the off camber sections and large humps that will get your car airborne. This was 10-15-22 and 10-16-22. We lucked out with perfect weather.

Saturday's fastest run.

Sunday's fastest run.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:24 PM   #144
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Next weekend's event is here: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6517.../data=!3m1!1e3

I'm not sure how they use that area, I think it's something with the infield, maybe part of the oval.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #145
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Went to a trackcross event at Thompson the other day, pretty fun. I don't think I hit any cones but I did completely miss the first turn on my first run. After a few laps I offset the rear tire pressures to try and give the $300 amazon lsd a helping hand, but it started drizzling some poor guy in a Mustang ended the event. (He was ok)

guess which run was faster lol

I did take some in car video but it sucks cause you can't see the track at all. (phone ziptied to headrest)
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #146
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Went to a trackcross event at Thompson the other day, pretty fun. I don't think I hit any cones but I did completely miss the first turn on my first run. After a few laps I offset the rear tire pressures to try and give the $300 amazon lsd a helping hand, but it started drizzling some poor guy in a Mustang ended the event. (He was ok)

guess which run was faster lol

I did take some in car video but it sucks cause you can't see the track at all. (phone ziptied to headrest)
That looks like a blast.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:40 PM   #147
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I got an email from the Solo Chair regarding my car classification. "It was brought to my attention...". Yeah, I think I picked 'E street' without thinking much initially, looked it up, MSM goes in there, and didn't really appreciate how hard core bone stock it really needed to be. So it's time for me to get in the right class.

Only, I bought my MSM already modded by someone else, and I've done a bit more (tires which are OK, 3.63 rear diff which isn't). So that lead to a discussion about what class I should be in.

Clearly not E Street, non stock springs, Wilwoods up front (even if on the stock rotors), engine mods. Normally the next step up would be STU for a turbo Miata, but some of the engine mods mine has (standalone MS ECU, bigger injectors) don't fit in there. So up I go to XSB.

I guess cars in XSB can get pretty wild, instead of specifically allowing certain mods, they specifically disallow a few (not many), and it's fair game past there, only distinction being it needs to be (plausibly) road legal still, licensed and insured. There aren't too many competitors in that class currently, and I wasn't paying attention to the class prior, but I think they're pretty heavily modified.

Not sure how I'll fare in XSB, but really, even if I was only doing mid-pack in E-street, it wasn't the right class at all for me. And I'm really just doing it for fun anyhow.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #148
2manyturbos

It’s a slippery slope as soon as you start modifying your car. XSB is a very fast class. As you said, almost anything goes. That’s the same thing with my Mustang. It’s no longer competitive in F Street, so I either move it to ESP, STU or CAM C. All three of those classes are like the wild wild West. Just bring mega dollars in order to hang with the rest of the people in the class. I am window shopping for a different car for next season because of that.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #149
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Yeah, I think my car has a few mods that stick it in XSB, but by and large, it really is more of a STU car. Put stock injectors and ECU back on and I guess I'd be there, I guess re-gearing the diff would be allowed. Lots of competition in the STU class.

I actually do have a stock MSM ECU and the stock injectors, my car came with a lot of the stock parts. I spent a weekend afternoon last year trying to get it to fire up on the stock ECU just to see, after messing with it for a while it did nothing but crank, never even tried the slightest to fire. It's a PnP Megasquirt, so it is (in theory) pretty easy to swap back and forth. I think in retrospect it might have had something to do with the immobilizer module.

But really, I think I'll just leave it as is and run XSB and see how silly I feel for being so slow in that class. Probably not very.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:49 PM   #150
redblockpowered
mails files to people

My car is XSA but I still run in Street Mod because it's not as many letters.
If you live in the Northeast US, I'll drive to you and tune your LH 2.4 car!
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote