home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-24-2022, 12:17 PM   #26
283SD
Board Member

I had a wind shield installed on my '87 245 early this year with a later windshield. I removed the old one cleaned and painted the opening. The shop came and installed the new later style windshield at my house for $250. I don't know what mfg it was will have to look, they did a great job.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:42 PM   #27
atikovi
Board Member

I have a few tubes of this left if anybody is interested. Had to buy a whole case to get them at reasonable cost.

atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:28 PM   #28
threewagons
i am the liquor

U428 is good stuff, I've used it for years. Be sure to check the date on top of the tubes, it becomes unusable pretty soon after that date.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #29
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Is urethane during installation something we have to ask for? Or is it generally used in good glass shops? I want to replace my sandblasted windshield and that butyl stuff is horrible.

Last edited by GeneralBurrito; 11-27-2022 at 10:58 PM..
GeneralBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:25 PM   #30
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBurrito View Post
Is urethane during installation something we have to ask for? Or is generally used in good glass shops? I want to replace my sandblasted windshield and that butyl stuff is horrible.
Pretty much everything modern uses urethane, but it won't hurt to ask and make sure they're using it. The important part is that they clean up all the old butyl before trying to apply urethane to the surfaces.
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:59 AM   #31
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

They told me at the shop that did my front glass that they aren't allowed to use butyl tape for installation anymore. So, mine was installed with urethane glue.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:02 PM   #32
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Even if it's safe, butyl tape is nasty stuff. I would be surprised if any shops use it now over urethane glue.
GeneralBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #33
spock345
Board Member

Is there anything stopping you from using urethane with the older style trim and clips?
1989 240 B230F, V15 cam, chipped EZK, M47 swap (Lost a fight with a Chevy express van), the millennial falcon
2012 VW Tiguan (screw plastic water pumps), daily
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:05 PM   #34
yamahapro
Keepin it classy!

I just had the FYG glass installed and the gasket is HIDEOUS. Doesn't match the rear glass, has a big ugly seam and is too short to cover the paint line from the old gasket. Great deal but the gasket for me is a no go. When I paint the car I will be doing OE glass and gasket. To my knowledge the OE glass costs double and doesn't come with a gasket. I am assuming you have to buy the OE gasket and it will match the rear window. The OE gasket looks SO much better.
yamahapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:06 PM   #35
OVERDRIVE
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
Is there anything stopping you from using urethane with the older style trim and clips?
I did that 6 months ago but it's a little leaky and the used glass cracked after it set. I Bought more clips, I think I'm going to try the urethane and old style glass again, even though it didn't work out the first time it does sound like the best option for me. Definitely not doing butyl in this weather, I currently have no garage.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:08 PM   #36
OVERDRIVE
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahapro View Post
I just had the FYG glass installed and the gasket is HIDEOUS.
Thanks for the input, it looks like I'm just going to do an older style windshield at this point.
OVERDRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #37
threewagons
i am the liquor

Glass shops also sell universal molding in various widths to cover up the mark from the previous installation. I prefer a rubber molding when it's suitable because there's less wind noise than chunky metal trim.
threewagons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:17 PM   #38
threewagons
i am the liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERDRIVE View Post
I did that 6 months ago but it's a little leaky and the used glass cracked after it set. I Bought more clips, I think I'm going to try the urethane and old style glass again, even though it didn't work out the first time it does sound like the best option for me. Definitely not doing butyl in this weather, I currently have no garage.

I wouldn't be surprised if the glass cracked because there was a small chip on the edge. It's very difficult to remove a windshield without damaging it unless you are experienced. Even the best glass techs break windows from time to time.
threewagons is offline   Reply With Quote