home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-22-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
drj434343
Board Member

Default Anyone try the VP Autoparts NEW 240 CAM steering rack?

Like many here, I've been searching for a steering rack option now that rebuilt units have dried up. One mention in 2021 on this forum said VP Autoparts was coming with a R&P offering in 2022, and it does appear their website has this option for a rebuilt core:

https://vp-autoparts.com/en/artiklar...-2-bolt-2.html

$484 plus a $115 core charge. If the core has to ship to Europe, might be easier to just keep it...

After hearing back from Lennart at VP Autoparts, he informed me the above part isn't in stock and would require a core to be sent in which would then go to the rebuilders. He did suggest this CAM rack which does appear to be in stock:

https://vp-autoparts.com/en/artiklar...79-84-cam.html

After a bit more back and forth, I was told this rack is a NEW reproduction rack with zero miles! No cores required. If true, this would be an amazing option even considering the price.

Quality is a big question. The website has little or no info, and incorrectly references a core charge. I haven't been able to get much more info volunteered from my email correspondence either.

Has anyone tried one of these?

Last edited by drj434343; 11-22-2022 at 07:20 PM..
drj434343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:14 PM   #2
hiperfauto
The Librarian

I believe these racks are new to the market so there won't be much feedback on them yet. AFAIK CVI is having them made and they sell them for a lot less money but you have to pay shipping from Sweden so I'm not sure if it'll be any cheaper since VP ships from a US warehouse.

https://www.cvi-automotive.se/en/art...power-steering
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:50 PM   #3
redblockpowered
mails files to people

I've had a lot of positive experiences with VP but none with this particular thing.
If you live in the Northeast US, I'll drive to you and tune your LH 2.4 car!
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:57 PM   #4
drj434343
Board Member

Contemplating what it takes to get a custom R&P made boggles my mind; I am very surprised to see this. Did they invest in new casting molds for the housing? Buy old CAM molds? Somehow adapt some standard R&P core to the Volvo specific housing and mount points? This seems like a complex part to spool up suppliers for low volume production.

If this unit is of decent quality, that price seems amazing to me. The prospect of a zero mile rack (CAM or otherwise) for my 29 year old 240 is crazy!
Old 11-23-2022, 12:53 AM   #5
drj434343
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
I believe these racks are new to the market so there won't be much feedback on them yet. AFAIK CVI is having them made and they sell them for a lot less money but you have to pay shipping from Sweden so I'm not sure if it'll be any cheaper since VP ships from a US warehouse.

https://www.cvi-automotive.se/en/art...power-steering
I priced the same rack out at CVI, and even with shipping to the US, it is $200 cheaper than VP.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

They’re not repopping the rack & pinion gear new in any quality for that price having looked into that a bit….

Finding good ZF cores is getting to be a challenge and directional valve pressure spec to match pump bypass valve pressure spec to boot for a late model car… good luck? .

I’ve passed on ~80% of the ~100 cores Ive gone thru and sold most of my spares, but I’m holding the last 2 years ZF typ 3 power rack that even came OEM in the USA market 200 series Volvos for my own cars for the most part now…

At this point, honestly, I’d spend the $1k on a new 2.5 turn steering rack and pinion gear for a late model ZF from $ellholm & recombine myself or go home or just reseal & evaluate 30+ year old used cores…

I didn’t find the 2.5 turn ZF rack in a couple 240s fatiguing to drive on the highway Or ‘too twitchy’ with correct alignment & OE offset wheels & tire sizes in most surfaces?
Little more positive caster might be nice most of the time I guess?
Under 3 turns is shady(ier) in the short wheelbase solid axle tippy ‘74 Bronco.
140 with PS are 3 turns lock to lock and turn a little tighter, so I figure 2.5 turns with more precise feel and a little more positive caster in the 240 is ok too, but idk that it’s value-added for a DD other than known good condition gears from a reputable, albeit foreign company (with product more slanted to Kool-aid domesric Motorsport applications rather than easy seamless no fuss long haul DD operation, albeit, ) ?

If they’res a core charge at age 30+, whatever they got for a core is questionable at best & probably didn’t get diagnosed or evaluated properly given the time and expertise allocated/allocate-able on the corporate bottom line by the accountants for 30+yo cars waaay outta implied warranties etc…
…if there’s no core charge snd the price is low, what got lost in translation on the cheap China-pop, nowadays ?
…there’s no free lunch, what do you expect, really?

Sux, but #reality & Jorgen just went outta business, new(er) cars/American market light cars & trucks are disposable plasti-mobile things with electric assist steering if they got a rack & pinion type steering so they work with EV, hybrid or ICE drivetrains with volume discount, fewer parts & leak points for idiot operators/drivers with solid state electronics getting cheaper all the time & lasting the warranty without claims is the ‘new normal’…

…why would anyone make, rebuild or mess with hydraulic type rack & pinions for disposable/non durable &/or life-critical applications in any volume or quality at all these days?
What is or would be the incentive?

A bunch of cheap ungrateful picky entitled Volvo dorks with cars that came with ~4+ different types /other company/firm (other than Volvo) sourced power racks per year & Sweden & Norway mostly got no fuss durable simple ZF manual racks to the bitter end/stripper model cars over there sans decadent luxury models like us…

…volvo mostly saved money in the late 80s when they couldn’t *really* compete with the Japanese & also had unfavorable exchange rate ~ the bitter end of RWD and cash flow & shop floor space crunch to get toolsdn up for the new faster to snap together quieter, safer, modern fashionable luxury market(ing)-aimed better rust proofed FWD 850 models for cheap light import cars to be sold to the American market on many parts of the last of the RWD cars before killing them off, particularly for the American market including the rack/wind was only blowing 1 way / writing was on the wall for profit margins, new innovations etc for disposable light cars for the American market for Volvo-cars & many euro products/light consumer goods…

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 11-24-2022 at 10:09 AM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #7
drj434343
Board Member

Just to provide a bit more info, I also reached out to CVI to ask about the rack on their site, and specifically asked about whether the pinion and rack gears were freshly cut. A Mikael promptly answered that the rack is entirely new.
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #8
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Brand new!! Time for a group buy from Sweden.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #9
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj434343 View Post
Like many here, I've been searching for a steering rack option now that rebuilt units have dried up.
https://www.mavalgear.com/
Part Number: 9016M
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #10
drj434343
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84B23F View Post
That's the rack that FCP sells, but I haven't been able to find a "buy" button for that rack for a while. Shows out of stock everywhere.
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM   #11
philski o'flood
Board Member

Quote:
Just to provide a bit more info, I also reached out to CVI to ask about the rack on their site, and specifically asked about whether the pinion and rack gears were freshly cut. A Mikael promptly answered that the rack is entirely new.
thats great news
philski o'flood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #12
Radtap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Brand new!! Time for a group buy from Sweden.
I’m up to go in for a couple of these racks, test them out and see how they hold up
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #13
drj434343
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtap View Post
I’m up to go in for a couple of these racks, test them out and see how they hold up
Me too, I will reach out to CVI and ask about group buy options. Anyone else willing to get in on this?
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #14
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
That's the rack that FCP sells, but I haven't been able to find a "buy" button for that rack for a while.
I cited the company that rebuilds...send them an email, or call them. Awhile back, I cited a rebuild kit, but it would only be good if rack's internal surfaces are good.
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #15
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Me too, I will reach out to CVI and ask about group buy options. Anyone else willing to get in on this?
Yes.
1989 240 B230F, V15 cam, chipped EZK, M47 swap (Lost a fight with a Chevy express van), the millennial falcon
2012 VW Tiguan (screw plastic water pumps), daily
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #16
esmth
Board Member

Quote:
im in
Old Today, 12:47 PM   #17
matto371

Quote:
I am interested in this also!
matto371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:09 PM   #18
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Is this actually new? for $450? If so then yea count me in.
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:45 PM   #19
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Here is the listing at CVI Automotive. https://www.cvi-automotive.se/en/art...h-power-assist

Note that is is not in stock and takes 5-7 days for delivery. But
I didn't see where a core is needed so they must be brand new. Maybe?
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:36 PM   #20
Radtap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Is this actually new? for $450? If so then yea count me in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
But I didn't see where a core is needed so they must be brand new. Maybe?
Quote:
Should be some minty units
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:24 PM   #21
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84B23F View Post

I hope they stepped up their quality. Maval used to be good stuff but they tanked in quality a while back. Put one in the 850 back around 2013, lasted a year before it blew a seal. Given the work involved, went with Cardone (car down situation), lasted 5 years before it was trashed. Went with a lo mile JY unit, still in the car 100k later.
Around the same time I was doing yearly replacements of the Maval's (lifetime warranty) for 5 years before I had enough and went JY for it as well. The shop I was buying from mentioned they'd seen the same thing and finally stopped selling the brand as a whole.
Pete Fluitman "fivehundred" 7/14/2013
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983
90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

Still your local Superpro dealer!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:00 PM   #22
morrisamazon
Board Member

VP Autoparts has a warehouse in South Carolina, USA. So no more European shipping costs!

morrisamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:29 PM   #23
Truebeliever
Board Member

Their warehouse is a 20 min drive
Truebeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:35 PM   #24
drj434343
Board Member

Per my previous post, VP is selling the rack at a steep price increase, so even with European shipping costs on a single rack, CVI is $200 cheaper from Europe.
Old Today, 09:54 PM   #25
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
yep.