home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-15-2020, 12:40 AM   #1
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Default Installing rear window louvers with Fox stang hardware?

I got an Autoplas rear window louver for my '78 242, but do not have any of the mounting hardware. The previous owner used 3M trim tape, but I would like to be able to wash the rear window, and have it flip out of the way the way it was meant to.

I was told that Fox body Mustang hardware would work, does anyone have any confirmation or other ideas?

Thanks!

Obligatory pic as it arrived, cleanup coming tomorrow.

1978 242, getting prepped for LS
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:26 AM   #2
James M
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
I got an Autoplas rear window louver for my '78 242, but do not have any of the mounting hardware. The previous owner used 3M trim tape, but I would like to be able to wash the rear window, and have it flip out of the way the way it was meant to.

I was told that Fox body Mustang hardware would work, does anyone have any confirmation or other ideas?

Thanks!

Obligatory pic as it arrived, cleanup coming tomorrow.

Just use door hinges, nice and sturdy

Summit racing sells a loover kit, looks like it uses adhesive tape, but you could drill holes
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...RoCRFoQAvD_BwE
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I'm hoping for a nicer solution than bolting door hinges to it. These are rare and expensive, I would rather not drill holes in it.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
44Nitehawk

Go on ebay there's a mounting kit you can get and get some black silkaflex adhesive from Amazon.I've set mine up to take off anytime
44Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
TempleUWS6
Board Member

I've got a repop set on the way that I opted out on the hardware, I've been told they're a low quality 3D print. I'll be in the same boat, which I think I christened for you anyway lol
'76 BMW R75/6
TempleUWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Haha, ya you did. I kinda want the hardware even if its low quality, so I can reproduce the missing parts out of aluminum or something.

I did not see just the mounting kit on ebay. The Sikaflex appears to be a concrete repair product, or a polyurethane sealant, you just used it to caulk the thing on?
Old 01-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
TempleUWS6
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Haha, ya you did. I kinda want the hardware even if its low quality, so I can reproduce the missing parts out of aluminum or something.

I did not see just the mounting kit on ebay. The Sikaflex appears to be a concrete repair product, or a polyurethane sealant, you just used it to caulk the thing on?
If you message raitisagars78 he will set up a listing for the just the hardware and don't be afraid to dicker with him on the price. Too bad this discussion didn't happen last week or he could have included the hardware for you with my louvers, but they shipped yesterday.

Sikaflex is a brand. What he means is urethane meant for autoglass, you could use DOW or 3M brand too. What is the most important is using the proper urethane primer. I worked at a glass shop for a few years and we used DOW products. Urethane is an option but it's messy and there is room for error. I'd recommend using 3M VHB (very high bond) double sided tape and an adhesive promoter.
TempleUWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:51 PM   #8
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I contacted him last night, he said he would sell me just the plastic mounting parts. I'm quite familiar with 3M trim tape, which is what I was originally going to use, its just a pain in the butt trying to remove it. I stuck a 960 wagon spoiler on my old 740T wagon with that and it was really hard to get off again. Which is good, you don't want stuff falling off...