• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 trailer hitch pictures

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
Looking for pictures of the early (73 and down style) 140 hitches. Where are they supposed to mount?

They mount between the bumper brackets and the body. This would be the OEM receiver hitch, which is what my '73 wagon had.

For the pre 73 cars, there was a version in which the tongue was hung from the bumper (attached to the bottom of the bumper by a fairly long bar with 2 or 4 bolts) and then the main tongue extended forward and then down and was attached to the body by a second bar. I am thinking that the attachment to the body for the second bar might have been just behind the gas tank (good for having the hitch push into the tank in a rear end collision). I had one; but ditched it and filled all the holes) when I restored my car about 8 years ago - so very fuzzy recollection about the specifics of attachment.

This pic from the '71 accessories catalog differs a bit from what's shown in the installation instructions.

Early140_164TrailerHitch277979.jpg

http://www.240.se/litteratur/540599.pdf

Back