home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #476
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
I just thought of something you might not be aware of. The offset spherical mounts you are using have a modular spacer installed on them on the bottom, its only needed when using the stock spring perch, when you move to a coilover spring you can remove it. That will move the spring up by ~5mm or so which will give you some more clearance to your springs / tires.
That would have been excellent information to have known, prior to assembly & installation. Have you considered providing exploded views of your systems, and indicating such options for the end user?

Quote:
Technically the spring assembly is not metal to metal as you are using the luxe bearings and there are plastic layers of isolation between the metal connections but it does have ALOT less separation than the factory Lazy Boi spring seat.
Indeed. I'm not familiar with your Luxe Steer system.... the bearings I'm using are OEM, INA part # F-230378. Bought them years ago from IPD I believe. So everyone knows what we're talking about, a few pics attached showing the female receiving plate which this bearing seats perfectly on. Had I know that your modular spacer was superfluous for my application, I would have removed it........

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #477
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Indeed. I'm not familiar with your Luxe Steer system.... the bearings I'm using are OEM, INA part # F-230378. Bought them years ago from IPD I believe. So everyone knows what we're talking about, a few pics attached showing the female receiving plate which this bearing seats perfectly on. Had I know that your modular spacer was superfluous for my application, I would have removed it........
Same thing.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #478
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

So as Ben informed, there is indeed a spacer installed into the SELECT top mount assembly. It appeared to be a light press fit, so I set out to remove it. A small "pecking hammer" as Dad used to call them, and a sharp chisel is what was needed:

Making a light chisel "wedge drive" between the top plate and the spacer, 3 points 90* apart, and sure enough the spacer walked out. Just as Ben said, the INA bearing drops right into the same female bore in the top mount plate:

My non-NIST traceable scale says these spacers are 8mm thick, so the front of the sedan will drop by that amount.

After comparing notes with Redblockpowered, it seems my sedan will only be about 3/4 ~ 1 inch lower than stock ride height. From memory, Ben says his QSRC's are necessary when your 7/9 is lowered more than 1.5 inches / 45mm or thereabouts. With the sedan back up near stock height, I will remove the roll correctors and restore the stock setup. No more middle hole "quick steering", but the OE setup will be AOK for daily driving duty. Since the QSRCs are on their way out, my shortened/chopped brake dust shields are no longer necessary. With all the new goodies going into the front suspenders, I couldn't resist putting brand new OEM dust shields back in service:

Coming in the mail are NOS control stay "radius rods" with the 396mm length (used in the 94 and 95 models only). My 92 sedan has the 385mm length, so these long rods will increase the caster and give all around improvement to front end steering functions. More to come.... if parts arrive this coming Saturday, she'll begin going back together up front next weekend.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #479
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

I am assuming you will raise the spring perches by the 8mm to keep the same ride height and gain wheel / spring perch clearance?
Old 01-13-2021, 09:38 PM   #480
GSWAGON
my other ride is a exmark

Quote:
Coming in the mail are NOS control stay "radius rods" with the 396mm length (used in the 94 and 95 models only). My 92 sedan has the 385mm length, so these long rods will increase the caster and give all around improvement to front end steering functions. More to come.... if parts arrive this coming Saturday, she'll begin going back together up front next weekend.
Where did you order these from, part number? I never knew the later model ones were longer. Direct bolt in I assume, just changes the angle?
99 SL500 AMG Sport
08 Corvette JSB LS3 6 speed
08 Escalade AWD- wifes daily
15 Ram CCSB Hemi 4wd

Life is short, so live it! You are only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
GSWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #481
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
I am assuming you will raise the spring perches by the 8mm to keep the same ride height and gain wheel / spring perch clearance?
Yes, that will be step 1; Install the 32mm Gil Racing adapters if needed.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #482
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWAGON View Post
Where did you order these from, part number? I never knew the later model ones were longer. Direct bolt in I assume, just changes the angle?
I will add that detail here soon.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #483
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Yes, that will be step 1; Install the 32mm Gil Racing adapters if needed.
Based on what you previously had and the fact that you can now increase clearance. There's no reason you would need a 32mm in the front... unless you just want to, then by all means....