home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 02-22-2020, 07:10 AM   #51
Victorrr
Board Member

https://zeligsgarage.com/collections...-clear-anodize

To crack open these beers while assembling your block

Just askin, for a first timer, how hard is it to drill and tap such kind of holes in a block ? Block on a stand, not in the car
Old 02-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #52
VB242
They're boxy but good!

Location: See my real-time location on Maps: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xiryhjZzwpSvTtnn6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorrr View Post

Just askin, for a first timer, how hard is it to drill and tap such kind of holes in a block ? Block on a stand, not in the car
You want to drill slowly with lots of lubricant, same with tapping, slowly, a little bit at a time with tapping lubricant. Wrap a piece of tape around the drill bit for a depth marker. Thanks for the link, I ordered a set of these.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #53
Victorrr
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
You want to drill slowly with lots of lubricant, same with tapping, slowly, a little bit at a time with tapping lubricant. Wrap a piece of tape around the drill bit for a depth marker. Thanks for the link, I ordered a set of these.
Good to know about that. A little bit at a time, I can do this.

I like the fact that they are 3 points instead of the usual two.
I'd love to get myself a set of the Volvo logo ones, but damn, 37 bucks for the shipping... Mehh... For these little aluminium parts, USPS be like...

Please tell me how they go !
Victorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #54
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

it's very easy to drill and tap the block, but yes, don't get in a rush. if you drill all the way through to the water jacket, use good sealant on your fastener(s), it'll be fine.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #55
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:

hahaha those are awesome
Old 02-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #56
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Nailed by the Euro decimal point.
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by permavirgin777 View Post
It would seem that I am... very... late to this party, but I did something similar to what linuxman51 and also aristg did (disclaimer that aristg has/had a B21, but the same concept applies).

Cheers...
yeah the pic I shared is for a b23 as well, customer's car. I was testing something in the driveway when that one blew the front plug on the exhaust side out (thankfully.. I didn't have to have the car towed back home and/or go look for the plug, but it made a hell of a mess). Some of yall probably still remember the first couple of run-ins I had with the freeze plugs exiting on my old car (for those that don't, it didn't end well for the car), so while I'm certainly having fun at OP's expense for being a dick, this is not something to just blow off and ignore, ESP if you've replaced the plugs.. it seems this is *most* common on rebuilt engines that have had the plugs replaced. YMMV and what not, but you could very literally be putting your life on the line with these things.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #57
Victorrr
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
hahaha those are awesome
They are ahah, I'll figure out how to do some group buy for Europe or get me someone to ship them from the US...

I did some research on the matter, I haven't found much info apart from some older MG engines, is that a Red block specific issue ? Iv'e read that peoples are simply bad at installing freeze plugs + we all tend to run more power than these blocs were made for.

I would have completely went over this whole popping out issue if it wasn't for this funny thread, so yeah.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #58
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:

Thanks for that link.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #59
VB242
They're boxy but good!

Location: See my real-time location on Maps: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xiryhjZzwpSvTtnn6

The last block I had done I let the machinist who assembled it install the plugs. I got about 5ft once the engine was installed before it spit one out. I replaced all of them with rubber freeze plugs like this, never had problem with them either.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #60
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Doh!

yeah the pic I shared is for a b23 as well, customer's car. I was testing something in the driveway when that one blew the front plug on the exhaust side out (thankfully.. I didn't have to have the car towed back home and/or go look for the plug, but it made a hell of a mess). Some of yall probably still remember the first couple of run-ins I had with the freeze plugs exiting on my old car (for those that don't, it didn't end well for the car), so while I'm certainly having fun at OP's expense for being a dick, this is not something to just blow off and ignore, ESP if you've replaced the plugs.. it seems this is *most* common on rebuilt engines that have had the plugs replaced. YMMV and what not, but you could very literally be putting your life on the line with these things.
Speaking of looking for the plug, when mine blew, it was a few miles from my house. I limped the car home, then rode my bike back to look for the plug. After at least 30 minutes, I found it teetering on the edge of the sewer drain. But when I got it home I realized you can't reuse those old style plugs anyway.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #61
Victorrr
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Thanks for that link.
No probs

Which ones are the best between https://www.kgtrimning.org/200-ser-1...aft/fb239.html and https://www.kgtrimning.org/200-ser-1...aft/fb186.html ? I'm really not a fan of the Expanding rubber ones, as you can't use these stylish retainer with them
(Also KG Trimning by far my fav Volvo website)
Old 02-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #62
Swedbrick
Board Member

I went for the non cupped ones, since the other ones are harder to install correctly with the hammer blow required (did one for the intermediate shaft), and applied a little sealant on the edges. Also got them from kg trimming, which fit nicely. I've also added the retainers just to be safe
Old 02-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #63
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
They are ahah, I'll figure out how to do some group buy for Europe or get me someone to ship them from the US...

I did some research on the matter, I haven't found much info apart from some older MG engines, is that a Red block specific issue ? Iv'e read that peoples are simply bad at installing freeze plugs + we all tend to run more power than these blocs were made for.

I would have completely went over this whole popping out issue if it wasn't for this funny thread, so yeah.
replacement ones don't seem to fit as tight, and there's a question of water pump cavitation leading to pressure build up in the block as well. I will say this: I've turned the gold car up to about 8300 at 25psi and the OE plugs show no signs of wanting to go anywhere, so I'm thinking it's more of an issue of aftermarket/new plugs just not getting that factory fresh seal.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #64
Victorrr
Board Member

Quote:
replacement ones don't seem to fit as tight, and there's a question of water pump cavitation leading to pressure build up in the block as well. I will say this: I've turned the gold car up to about 8300 at 25psi and the OE plugs show no signs of wanting to go anywhere, so I'm thinking it's more of an issue of aftermarket/new plugs just not getting that factory fresh seal.
Well, then it's a question of OE vs Aftermarket + retainer. I'll compare the cost, but I don't trust myself 100% when it comes to building stuff so retainer I'll go. As I plan on buying things from KG anyway
Old 02-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #65
VB242
They're boxy but good!

Quote:
I'm sure there was some type machine that installed all the plugs at once at the factory, it's probably the hammer blow installation process that fails.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #66
Victorrr
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
I'm sure there was some type machine that installed all the plugs at once at the factory, it's probably the hammer blow installation process that fails.
From what I've read, it maybe due to the fact that peoples tend to push them in with a socket, in the center, thus deforming them. The correct way should be on the exterior lip. Maybe they had some type of press to push them in instead of banging on them like we do. I also wonder if slightly warming the block and putting them in the freezer may help, all of this with the goal of putting them in with as little friction as possible, not to deform them.... Who knows. My 2 cents.

I'll stick with using retainers, I can't sleep now that I am aware of plugs popping off.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #67
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
it's very easy to drill and tap the block, but yes, don't get in a rush. if you drill all the way through to the water jacket, use good sealant on your fastener(s), it'll be fine.
When I did mine I set a depth on the first hole then had a few others pop through after, varying wall thickness. I used blue loc-tite and never had an issue.

Yes, be very slow and careful with a tap that small in cast iron. Buy Tap Magic cutting fluid.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:41 AM   #68
sbabbs
Board Member

Yeah I just took my time no problem. What I did what figure the best spot on each side of the plug to drill em, and each one was a little different. Some did go through.

1995 940 White racing wagoon. T25 .64 a/r m90 to put in
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #69
Victorrr
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
Yeah I just took my time no problem. What I did what figure the best spot on each side of the plug to drill em, and each one was a little different. Some did go through.

Nice block !
How easy/time consuming it is to repaint the block like that ? I'll try to save the paint on mine but hey.

edit : these flywheel chillin around in the corner ahah
Old 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #70
sbabbs
Board Member

Spray painting the block is easy, it's the cleaning it first that is hard but this one was hot tanked from the machine shop.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #71
Dicktater
Cretin

I sand blasted mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMeatWagon View Post
I hope your treehouse gets cancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
I buy a few when foodstamps get here because I have an investment strategy.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo740b234/531 View Post
I smoke my weed and dream of an awesome life
Feedback >http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=197700
Dicktater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #72
Victorrr
Board Member

Meh, I don't own a sand blasting station and I didn't plan on going to a machinist, maybe because, hm, there aren't any near my home + it costs money I guess ^^
I'll do if I have to (ie. scratches, getting the block honed if needed)
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #73
JohnMc
PV Abuser

A bunch of degreaser, some elbow grease, then prep the block with some isopropyl alcohol to remove the last vestiges of oil, tape, spray. You can hunt around fo the proper shade of Volvo red, or use a Ford engine block paint that's waaaay more common and a little brighter.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #74
Victorrr
Board Member

Volvo red paint is more common here ahah, I think it'll be more a question of being lazy/lacking time.