• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

An Intro:79' 245DL

Z33_Taxi

Good evening guys,

My names Phil. I am 25 years old and living in the Hudson Valley of New York. I have recently come into the possession of a 1979 245DL w/ 69K original miles. This is my first "classic" car, the oldest car I've ever owned, my first automatic and first non Japanese vehicle. I've had it for 3 days or 103 miles.

This is a new world from me. I come from a long ownership of 350z, I've owned 2 and one even became a track/DD car. However, on the way home from a track event at Watkins Glen on the Taconic PKWY 3 deer jumped out, I hit 2 of them, which sent me into a Jersey barrier. That was the end of that. This was my baby:
601899_648828412548_1528279364_n.jpg

So here is my new baby, Vivian.

1009246_663407905128_1425439754_o.jpg

1085209_663408024888_918482482_o.jpg

1082421_663407994948_1878125024_o.jpg

She was purchased for $2000 after sitting for 7 years. It had belonged to the owner of a Volvo dealership here in the Hudson Valley. He died and his daughters didn't want the car so a neighbor bought it and never ended up driving it. Just sat in a driveway. It had dry rotted tires,crappy wiper blades and needs pads up front. Other than that...it's good to go. There's a dollar bill size area of rust on the bottom and where the roof rack meets the roof the gaskets dried up and peeled up some paint. The leather interior doesn't have a single scuff. I have the original window sticker, owners manual, advertisements, maintenance records/book, the original spare, jack/tool kit and from what I've read rare options like cruise control, a tray below the vents, lower bumper diffuser/air dam.

I plan to keep it nice and clean, but as original as possible, mainly keeping the outside as is and making the inside fit to my needs. I plan to daily it

What needs to be done
- Tires done
-Front brakes
-Wipers done
-Inspection
-RegistrationDone

What I'd like to do
-Radio mounted in glove box
-Update audio...components and sub(s)
-Fix saggy headliner
-Overhaul fuel and electrical system
-Exhaust a small pinhole leak. So new exhaust
-Lower 3-4 inches. Haven't decided on bags or coils
-Wheels. No going ********** or anything with extreme poke or stance. Just a nice tuck
-Wood panel the trunk space
- Join the Volvo high mileage club 100k,250k, +?

I've put 1xx miles on the car since I've bought it and I've already had so many conversations with old/current owners of Volvos and other "classic" cars and it definitely grabs attention. I'm enjoying it and hope I'll be updating frequently

Volvos are men you need to give it a mans name

Vivian- vince?vance?vaginalover?

the emblem says it ALL!!!

BTW NICE CAR hood trim is thee ultimate grandpa swag

oh dude you bought it! i was supposed to go last weekend to buy it. good grab!
Sell it to you cheap:oogle:

Thanks guys. My goals for the car are in the OP. Right now Im just trying to learn the motor and terminology you guys are using. Im not a stranger to cars,but the only motora Ice ever worked on are VQs(350/370zs).

I do know that the car idles slightly rough and that I need to weld in a new battery tray because that thing is on its way out.

Also what do the numbers mean on the front of the engine cover?

Anyone have any tricks to fixing old pitted mirrors? I cannot find for the life of me new mirrors or anyone that offers re cut glass for the side view mirrors. I was all about fender mirrors, but I am vertically challenged and wouldn't be able to see them

Very clean 245, I hope she serves you well. You're really lucky, that front end look is desired by almost all of the Pac-NW Volvo enthusiaists and is usually hack-job'd on to an '86+ 240. Keep that thing as stock cosmetically as you can, that car is too clean to get chopped up!

So this is the suspension setup I am thinking of running after some research on here. I would love to be able to just cut the stock housing shorter and do it that way. However, I do not have the room, tools, a shop that'll do it or a secondary vehicle.

So here's the route I'd like to take
Kaplhenke front/rear coilovers
240frontcoilover.jpg

Rear_Perch_SpringAssembly.jpg

Mate those to shorter struts IE: Bilstien or Konis

I'm sure that would be the best and most reliable way, but then again this is just my DD and will remain so. I want it to look and handle well, but I also don't want to draw to much from my 911 fund.

My other options are:

-an IPD springs, cut them, and mate those to appropriate struts/shocks.

- cut the stock springs and let it ride

If there are any other solutions or suggestions I'd be open to hearing them

I think the key is to cut the springs as soon as you buy a car. Then when you buy all those nice coilover parts you'll realize how nice they really are.

Anyone have any tricks to fixing old pitted mirrors? I cannot find for the life of me new mirrors or anyone that offers re cut glass for the side view mirrors. I was all about fender mirrors, but I am vertically challenged and wouldn't be able to see them

I'm looking for spares for mine, so if I come across some really clean ones I'll let you know!

Nice score. Friend of mine had your car's twin back in the late '90s. His, like yours, had the chocolate brown vinyl interior, but no headrest pads. One thing we did on his car was to delete the rack. He went from getting 18-19 mpg with a manual transmission to getting 21-23 mpg, which helped a bit. It also made the car quieter on the highway.

The sticker on the timing cover has the last three digits of the engine part number. Stock B21F for a '79 245DL would be either a 498780, 498781, 498782, or 498783. The part numbers that end in even digits are for the M46 manual transmission cars, and the part numbers that end in odd digits were for the Aw55 automatic cars. First two part numbers were 49 state, non-Lambda Sond engines, and the other two were Lambda-Sond equipped engines. Lambda-Sond was either Volvo's or Bosch's terminology for oxygen sensor, back in the '70s and '80s.

Mirror-wise, best bet is to keep your eyes peeled on eBay. Not just eBay.com, but eBay.de, and maybe tradera.com. There probably are some NOS chrome mirrors somewhere. If it does prove fruitless, I have seen some of the black GT mirrors from time to time, and there are the 1980-85 style mirrors as well, which will look fine on the car, even if it's not 100% stock. They were, after all, used on the 1980 cars, which looked identical, except for badging and the updated tailgate lock mechanism, which allowed the addition of power door locks.

-J

Last edited:
Back