• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mike K? ruin another volvo. 945 pickup build

Question for you - did you consider adding the stake(?) posts - looking at various pickup beds...

Screen-Shot-2021-04-02-at-7-00-54-PM.png

hmm not sure what ya mean. The box sections at the tailgate? I do have plans to box in the whole bed including the corners, and make some more substantial mounting points for the tailgate hinges. All that stuff was kinda proof-of-concept before I put the next couple hundred hours into it..

hmm not sure what ya mean. The box sections at the tailgate? I do have plans to box in the whole bed including the corners, and make some more substantial mounting points for the tailgate hinges. All that stuff was kinda proof-of-concept before I put the next couple hundred hours into it..

I'm referring to the reinforced vertical openings in all four corners on many pickups - here's another pic - I couldn't find one with a clear shot of the rectangular opening in the bed rails

Screen-Shot-2021-04-02-at-7-00-37-PM.png

I did buy a set of wheels for this thing to motivate myself to get back to it. 17x7" Tecnocast Corsia, 5x108 and et40. I always thought a six spoke would work, and these are super light too. I'm going to strip them down, repair the rash and have them powder coated.. probably with basically the same color. I'm tempted to put a set of 215/65/17 Falken Wild Peaks on these..

OmQTQta.jpg

Also got a set of BNE spacers, 25 and 32mm with a set of extended studs.

nAp58zU.jpg

don't look at the hitch in the body line, I'll do a lot better before paint :lol:

hIh6mBU.jpg

it looks like they should fill out nicely. I used to have a 26.7" tire on a lowered 945 with et20 pegs, that rubbed the fender liners a teeny bit in the rear. I would like to run the 28" wild peaks with just the overloads and no lifting, will have to see if I can clear it with this offset. That or I'll just grab the grinder and make them fit.

kL3a0gK.jpg

I'm referring to the reinforced vertical openings in all four corners on many pickups - here's another pic - I couldn't find one with a clear shot of the rectangular opening in the bed rails

ahh, no I want to keep the top of the rails and tailgate smooth. Originally I thought they'd be body color, but when I'm using it as a truck I end up putting a foot on them often enough I may reconsider that. I have the tie down points down low and then the load bar for everything up front.

ahh, no I want to keep the top of the rails and tailgate smooth. Originally I thought they'd be body color, but when I'm using it as a truck I end up putting a foot on them often enough I may reconsider that. I have the tie down points down low and then the load bar for everything up front.

I've looked at the rail caps for things like Nissan Frontier - I figure that would save the paint on the rails - I plan to use this thing also.

Did you add anything to reinforce the vertical body section immediately behind the light retaining sheet metal? It's been a couple years now - I would suppose you would be seeing stress cracks if there were a problem.

Is the square tube used for the tailgate regular 1" stuff?

I've looked at the rail caps for things like Nissan Frontier - I figure that would save the paint on the rails - I plan to use this thing also.

Did you add anything to reinforce the vertical body section immediately behind the light retaining sheet metal? It's been a couple years now - I would suppose you would be seeing stress cracks if there were a problem.

Is the square tube used for the tailgate regular 1" stuff?

nothing additional outside of the heavy sheet metal. It was really interesting to feel how things stiffened up as it all got stitched and boxed back together. And yes that's a big part of the reason it got half finished then driven around a bunch, we had no idea if the thing was going to flex and crack body work etc... it's been a complete tank! It doesn't even squeak or rattle more than a normal car.

Yup regular 1" square tube, 1/8" wall

I don't want to have to wait another 4 years to find out what color you're going to paint it :cameron:

Those wheels are sweet though. Bronze or gold would work for the wheel color, especially if you go full Petter Solberg spec with World Rally Blue for the body.

nothing additional outside of the heavy sheet metal. It was really interesting to feel how things stiffened up as it all got stitched and boxed back together. And yes that's a big part of the reason it got half finished then driven around a bunch, we had no idea if the thing was going to flex and crack body work etc... it's been a complete tank! It doesn't even squeak or rattle more than a normal car.

Yup regular 1" square tube, 1/8" wall

Thanks for the confirmation. Any chance you found a scrap of the rail section you could take measurements of? it would certainly help.

Any updates on your end? Just looking through the thread again - I'm going to start cutting up my wagon in the Fall. Besides copying your layout, I think I'm going to use a bed rail similar to the old 70's Toyota Hilux pickup, with the tie down hooks tucked under

1970-toyota-hilux-pickup-truck-1621984228ccb08bb2c431970-Hilux-49-scaled.jpg

Back