• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting BBS RS 16" to 17 or 18"

BoxDriver2

Hi all,

Has anyone looked at converting their RS wheels to the 17" or 18" from factory/stock RS 16"?

I see it is popular with the VW crowd.

I am going to look into it more - I have a found a few places offering lips / halves to suit.

I'd probably do it and convert them to a better fitment for the 700/900 from the current offset / sizes I have now:

16x7 et11 with a 1.5in lip and a 5in barrel
16x8 et-2 with a 2.5in lip and a 5in barrel

Not exactly cheap either...prices seem to have gone up!

Some photos I have found attached, this one was a 16" to start. The silver ones I had which I sold to another member here, picked up a set in red a few years ago from a guy who couldn't fit them to a VW or BMW [because...the bolt pattern wasn't proper!]

I like the stepped lip more though. But tire options would be easier

Attachments

• BBS_1.jpg
    BBS_1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 166
  • BBS_2.jpg
    BBS_2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 167
  • BBS.jpg
    BBS.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 168
  • P6200531.jpg
    P6200531.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 168
16s to 17s look okay....16s to 18s look stupid:
DSCN3827_1600x.JPG

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the lip style there.

Probably going to tweak the offsets a bit and use a deeper lip out back and go slightly wider, adjust the fronts a bit as well to bring in the +11 a hair due to fender rub like my old set.

Last edited:
RS parts should be very plentiful. It's easy, it's only money. :lol:

I'm curious...what's the diameter of the wheel center?

I really like the small center and 17" stepped rim (E50, not RS):
152367932.jpg

I got all my 20-bolt parts from Bob Woodman. Not sure they deal in the non-race wheels like the RS, but they have other bits you might need:
http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/accessories-bbs-wheels/

These are a 16" RS that I have currently, and from what I recall they built the 17" RS with a 16" center anyway. I'll have to take them apart and measure. I've also looked at 17" sets to use as a donor but some are just way too expensive or mangled.

I see Kodiak no longer does lips for them. I've been looking at Tuner Shop and some others recently for pricing, and I think one was Felgen out of Germany.

I would go E50 all day if I could reasonably price a set. Then I could leave these as-is so maybe i'll contact BW

RS parts should be very plentiful. It's easy, it's only money. :lol:

I'm curious...what's the diameter of the wheel center?

I really like the small center and 17" stepped rim (E50, not RS):
152367932.jpg

I got all my 20-bolt parts from Bob Woodman. Not sure they deal in the non-race wheels like the RS, but they have other bits you might need:
http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/accessories-bbs-wheels/

Wheelflip.com will have what you need to step them to 18? and whatever width you like. It?s about $1600 to do a set and takes about 6 weeks. I bought these 15? faces from a member here and stepped to 17x8.5?.

DHTUWnK.jpg

Last edited:
just went back and forth on this myself, have my now third set of the ferrari 16" BBS RS was going to upsize, then decided to have the faces powdercoated and lips polished. Got the wheels for $750, but faces had some chips and clear on lips was shot....will be in em for like $2k I'm sure when I get the final bill.

What I probably should have done is waited for a nice set of 17" RS already done, and just had them redrilled. Couple FB groups people selling with some nice wheels. Have more wheels than I can use already though

Wheelflip.com will have what you need to step them to 18? and whatever width you like. It?s about $1600 to do a set and takes about 6 weeks. I bought these 15? faces from a member here and stepped to 17x8.5?.

DHTUWnK.jpg

I was so close to buying these when you were selling them, just wasnt looking for white centers....and couldnt see having mint looking wheels redone again, and then price would have been beyond just having a set done in the first place

Yeah I always wished they were silver even though white would’ve looked great on a brown 245 or yellow 142. I should’ve kept them but they were worth more than either of the cars :-P

Back