home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
Deadwrong33

Default 740 code 321

Any help is appreciated CEL came on it drove fine but I came up with code 321? I noticed a slight rough idle upon stopping at a light. Other than that no clue? I read a few items it could be this forum has been good to me thx in advance, I’m new to this motor but not Volvos lol.
My exact model is a 90 740gl automatic.
Deadwrong33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Do you know what engine management your car uses? It could be one of two types. Either Bosch LH2.4 Jetronic or Regina/Rex system. A fast way to tell is the Bosch system uses a mass air sensor on the intake hose and the Regina/Rex uses a small intake air temp sensor in the intake hose. The ignition coils are different as well. Bosch is a typical round cylinder coil. But the Regina/Rex has a big square coil/amplifier setup.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

If it's Regina, pretty sure 3-2-1 is throttle switch/ idle motor related. If you can't hear a 'click' when you crack the throttle open by hand under the hood, your throttle plate is prolly gummed up & not closing all the way, or the linkage is out of adjustment. It is rarely the switch adjustment. Get a new TB gasket, remove the TB, soak w/ carb clean & put it back.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:45 AM   #4
MasterBlaster
Board Member

3-2-1 - Signal to cold start valve short to ground or missing

For many (including my 90 740GL Rex/Regina), this is a normal code and can be ignored.

As I understand it, the original operation had the valve always powered, along with the rest of the injectors, and only grounded for more enrichment when the engine was below -18c and under 600 RPM.

Somewhere back in time Volvo issued some kind of service bulletin that rewired the valve so that instead of being connected to constant power, power is only supplied when cranking. The rest of the time (like just before cranking) the ECU sees it as an "open circuit" and sets code 321.

1990 740GL
515,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Deadwrong33

Thx some said it could radio suppression relay? New to this motor I know my way around the 5 cylinders
Old 05-15-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
Deadwrong33

I will check that out thx