• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 Wheel Arch Repair

Yes, cut out he damaged section. Measure twice cut once , get a good close fit. Then spot weld here and there until all done , grind and body work and done. Keep the welded are cool. @ , 3 welds, cool, 2,3 welds, repeat.

Good info from this guy. check out a few
https://youtu.be/ZdigwBNKFfI

Thank you for the tips. This is definitely the least expensive option, albeit the most involved. Finding a fender from a 240 is easy enough. So the front matches the rear enough that I can chop and swap the arch?

Post a pic of your issue.

:uh:

I wanted to post a few pictures to show how extensive the damage is. I used my heat gun and a chisel to dig out some of the Bondo. I cannot believe how much I used back when. :oops: I remember there being some rust damage, but it is more severe now. Seems like alot of the arch is rusted out now.

I used a paint pen to outline the damaged area, and I marked my estimated depth of Bondo, IOW how far the dent would have to come out in that area. So I now know that the arch will have to be cut out regardless... My two options are to either get a 244 wheel arch panel, cut out the damaged metal and beat out the rest of the panel, and that would be a total of $80 or something. OR I can do 7 hours of driving to go grab the entire quarter panel that Rainbow has for $300.

Does anyone know how the quarter panels are attached? Are they just spot welded on?

I am hoping that some of you more experienced with body work can give input on the best option and how to go about this repair. Thanks! :)https://i.postimg.cc/3xTPNV4Q/20210512-111145.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/76wvRc4N/20210512-111138.jpg

I only saw the first pic bad pic. Didn't see the second one. OP needs to grind it all down to bare metal THEN assess what can be done. A dolly and hammer could help the panel and then cut and weld the arch where needed.

That arch panel is not that big so the shipping quote is about right. They may ship UPS in which case it means they have an account and pay a lesser rate that if you or I if we went to UPS. WE used to have a business account with UPS. I was amazed how much less the business price was as opposed to the retail price. Also NEVER go to a UPS Store. That is a ripoff!

I found the four door panel through Jegs and they charge their standard $11.99 shipping with the panel being $29.

I think getting to bare metal is a good start. Problem is that I can't get behind it, so I think I can either use my slide hammer, or I can cut the outlined area off the car and smash it back into shape.

If you don't have stud gun you can still try to weld studs onto the damaged parts and pull with a dent puller. Just make sure your puller will hold whatever you use as a stud securely.

Back