• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Haynes Manual Master Cylinder copy-editing problem

the_hairy_baboon

I was reading through the 240 Haynes manual for the master cylinder and came across a few items I think are poorly copy-edited from older models.

Chapter 9, Braking System, Section 9, Master Cylinder - removal, overhaul, replacement.
Line 7 - unscrew and remove the stop screw.
Line 17 - Fit the stop screw using a new sealing washer. Tighten the screw to a torque of 6 lb ft(0.8 kg f m).
Line 21 - Fit the 'O' ring seal to the master cylinder mounting flange, install the cylinder to the front face of the servo unit, fit the washers and nuts and tighten them to the specified torque.

No where in the diagrams provided does it show a stop screw or an o-ring.
I found here (https://www.240.se/litteratur/tp11051.pdf) that shows on page 241 a stop screw (item #17). Then on page 245 it has figure 5-48 that shows a sealing O ring as #6. This is then referenced on page 246, Installation, Step 1 as being put on (wrong attributed to 5-49) before mounting and tightening the flange bolts.

However, for my vintage of volvo (1983 245 B21FT), the parts diagram doesn't show an O-ring or a stop screw. I haven't yet removed the current master cylinder to do the swap, so I don't know if there's one currently an O-ring but no-one mentions it, or if Haynes just left it in from earlier Volvos because they didn't carefully re-read everything. Definitely no stop screw.

So does this O-ring exist still or is it just a bygone relic I don't need to worry about?

164/1800E master cylinders use the o-ring between the booster and master.

The stop screw was used on earlier masters with straight bores. It's not used on 240's and later masters with stepped bores.

Back