• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

COP for your 16V

dbh86

What's a 16V?
PICTURES ARE ALL MISSING, OH NOES!!!!!

The purpose of this article is to explain a simple method to cleaning install Toyota COP coils into your 16V.

Materials:
4x Toyota Corolla '99-'08 coils, pn: 90080-19015
4x 0.1?F Capacitors
Either:
4x Pigtails for above coils
or
4x Toyota connectors: 90980-11885
16x TYCO pins: 173631

Setup
1. The coils are physically larger than the space the 16V head allows for them, but the offending parts of the coils are not particularly important. The mounting bracket and some areas of the sill below it must be removed. The picture below illustrates where the coil must be modified to fit in the 16V head.

cop1.jpg

2. The connectors for the coils can be fabricated by buying the outer plug and putting in new pins, but the new pins will require modification to lock into the plug. An easier method is to obtain the original connectors with the coils. The pins in the connectors for the coil, from left to right, are ground, signal/trigger, tach signal, and +12V. The picture below gives a clearer illustration of this:
Image needs updating with all 4 labels
cop2.jpg

3. The coils create quite a lot of noise when they fire and this may cause problems for your EMS. For example, a V2.2 MS will experience resets with these coils, but a V3.0 MS may or may not experience them depending on the wiring harness. Thankfully, a 0.1?F capacitor between the power and ground wires will help manage the noise from these coils.

4. The coils are fired through ground switching and they require a minimum of 7mA from a +5V pullup. For MS, use this ground switching routine, but with a 660 ohm resistor for each coil you are firing. If you are running wasted spark, you should run a 330 ohm or less resistor. It's up to you to choose what resistor you need to run. Remember, V=IR and Kirchoff's Current Law. I would recommend against exceeding more than 15mA per coil on the signal line.

5. These coils have ignitors built in and are semi-smart, which means they still rely on the EMS for dwell control but still have a protection circuit built in. People have had good results with dwell settings of 5ms cranking, 2.5ms running, and 0.1ms minimum. For those who are interested, an image of the optimal dwell curves is included below.

Image needed from link below...

Include some tach output related musings here...

Include some MS related stuff here...

Notes
-There are similar looking coils, but they may be different heights or different mounting brackets. The 19015 coils are the correct height for 16V applications.
-Ebay usually has sets available for less than $100. The sellers might include the pigtails if asked.
-The capacitors may not be necessary for your installation initially, but I would still recommend them in case the coils start causing problems later.

Last edited:
I think these are the ones my friends use on their miatas. If this is the case (I will confirm) I can get the part number for the pins that fit over the pins on those coils. This is just the little metal piece that would go inside the connector. They are cheap and a good alternative if you can't get the pigtails

Thanks for the writeup!

I think these are the ones my friends use on their miatas. If this is the case (I will confirm) I can get the part number for the pins that fit over the pins on those coils. This is just the little metal piece that would go inside the connector. They are cheap and a good alternative if you can't get the pigtails

Thanks for the writeup!

I got the correct pins and put them together. Every time I would plug in the connector, all or most of the pins would get pushed out. I decided I didn't want to risk not having some of them being plugged in.

If they are the same style plugs, I would like that pn just so others can explore that route if they choose to. I'll go dig up the plastic casing pn too.

EDIT: See Post #6 for updated thoughts on these pins/plugs.

Last edited:
Hmmm none of the people i know who run these coils on miatas have had that issue. Let me see what I can find out. Thanks for figuring this out!

Perhaps I had the wrong pins. I was only able to find one source who stated which pins they were.
Thanks for the help.

Miata people appear to be much more advanced in using these coils... They even did some testing to figure out optimum dwell curves. They are also able to use the 3rd (unused currently) pin to provide a tach output. It is ground switched by the coil firing.

Toyota wiring harness colors:
1-ground (brown)
2-trigger (color varies)
3-tach (blue with yellow stripe)
4-V+ (black with white stripe)

Connector
Toyota 90980-11885

Pins
TYCO 173631

Those are the pn others(miata board) said worked and what I tried. I couldn't get them to work properly. I couldn't get them to work properly because they require slight modification to the pin. I'm going to give them another go.

And the miata FAQ thread: http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t12704/

Dwell curve thread: http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t11744/

Last edited:
905 115 R 06B 905 115 R Alt Bremi 0040102043
copspole.jpg

The COP connections:
Pin 1: Connects to Pin 1 on all other coils and then to +12v ignition feed (or fuel
pump relay).
Pin 2: Signal ground (connect to ground at MegaSquirt's ECU ground)
Pin 3: Spark Signal from ECU
Pin 4: Power ground (Engine Earth)

Dwell for these COPs are:
Cranking
= 4.0mS
Running
= 3.0mS

copspole.jpg

The COP connections:
Pin 1: Connects to Pin 1 on all other coils and then to +12v ignition feed (or fuel
pump relay).

Cranking
= 4.0mS
Running
= 3.0mS

Thanks! How well do they fit in the B234F head? Have any pics?

I think the ones I have lying around are the same (size wise)

DSC00853.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

With the ones I have you need to shorten them a bit to fit on the plug, but then they will also fit better.

Edit: Anyone want these? They are for sale :)

I guess Audi/VW use longer plugs, the metal and rubber insert in the COP can just be shortened to fit a ''Volvo'' plug.

DSC00857.jpg

I think it's just about 1/2 inch you'd have to cut off, I can't recommend shortening them on the other side:-P

copspole.jpg

The COP connections:
pump relay).

Cranking
= 4.0mS
Running
= 3.0mS

Isn't this right off of the MSextra documentation?

Also, I updated some of the stuff. I'm not going to include anything about the other coil options as I don't know enough about them to feel comfortable writing about them, nor can I guarantee that they will work.

Last edited:
4. The coils are fired through ground switching and they require a minimum of 7mA from a +5V pullup. For MS, use this ground switching routine, but with a 660 ohm resistor for each coil you are firing. If you are running wasted spark, you should run a 330 ohm or less resistor. It's up to you to choose what resistor you need to run. Remember, V=IR and Kirchoff's Current Law. I would recommend against exceeding more than 15mA per coil on the signal line.

so where put the 330ohm ?? The extramanual tell about 1k between 5v and led and T to SPR4 and IGN. This is an other resistance i need with 1k or have to replace the 1k by 330ohm ??

i run COP toyota number like this thread in waste spark mode!
thanks dave

Back