• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Middle Ground Suspension

RockAuto lists the "heavy duty" springs for my 242 as the stock Wagon springs. And then there are the wagon overloads which must be even stiffer than that.

Will overload springs lift the butt of my 242? Hopefully not too much :lol:

I was told stock size for 2-door/sedan rear was 12mm, and wagon(estate) 13mm.
The theory being, if you want HD for sedan you run wagon springs, and 14mm if you want HD on a wagon. I have never found a definitive source/chart for wire diameter information on the Volvo 240.

:-P

242 rear springs are really spindly 12.4mm wire & 16 & 1/4" free length.

Springs242Rear1.jpg

I'd go with stock 244 junkyard springs, and see how it looks, or gently cut stock wagon springs.

PnP free 30 day returns FTW.

I put wagon springs cut ~ 3/4" and ground flat in my 242. It was a nice upgrade. The overloads definitely raise the rear of a sedan. A customer of mine put them in his 1990 sedan.

Once I install overloads in my friend's wagon, I'll use his stock springs and cut them a bit, as suggested. Free, and should work well with my front springs.

I was told stock size for 2-door/sedan rear was 12mm, and wagon(estate) 13mm.
The theory being, if you want HD for sedan you run wagon springs, and 14mm if you want HD on a wagon. I have never found a definitive source/chart for wire diameter information on the Volvo 240.

:-P

The US market 240 sedans run 12.4mm rear springs. The wagons have 13mm rear springs.

The US market 240 sedans run 12.4mm rear springs. The wagons have 13mm rear springs.

Thank you sir, I also noticed with regard to (f) spring P.N. 1229337 Tasca shows 14.2mm, while Lesjofors using the same P.N. is listed as 14.5mm on more than one site. I assume this is a manufacturing difference(or possibly larger dia due to the dip coating) ?

:???:

I didn't see 12.4mm listed in the parts catalog.

1212426 12.0mm
1212427 12.7mm
1229052 12.95mm
1206750 13.8mm

Thank you sir, I also noticed with regard to (f) spring P.N. 1229337 Tasca shows 14.2mm, while Lesjofors using the same P.N. is listed as 14.5mm on more than one site. I assume this is a manufacturing difference(or possibly larger dia due to the dip coating) ?

:???:

from what I can tell Lesjofors is selling one spring to replace most of the different wire sizes that were available and it's not 14.2mm, it's 13.5.

FCP said:
For vehicles that originally came stock with 14.2mm or 14.8mm springs. The actual wire diameter of this spring is 13.5mm. For vehicles with stock ride height. Always replace in pairs.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-coil-spring-lesjofors-1229337

I didn't see 12.4mm listed in the parts catalog.

1212426 12.0mm
1212427 12.7mm
1229052 12.95mm
1206750 13.8mm

from what I can tell Lesjofors is selling one spring to replace most of the different wire sizes that were available and it's not 14.2mm, it's 13.5.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-coil-spring-lesjofors-1229337

I just measured a set of late model sedan springs at .473? which converts to 12mm. I?m almost positive I?ve had a couple of sets of sedan springs that measured .485?. They are long gone now.

The 12.0mm spring is the standard one for 4 door cars and the 12.7mm spring is the heavy duty one for four door cars. The 12.95mm spring (listed as 13mm in the later catalog) is the standard one for wagons and the 13.8mm spring is the heavy duty one for wagons.

There are exceptions to the rule but basically, that's how it breaks down.

Hello sir, I went back and opened the link for FCP and found the Lesjofors replacement spring which is a different P.N., it's Lesjofors 4095801. I may have not been clear, but I was referring to Lesjofors 1229337.

What I noticed is that Tasca lists this spring at 14.2mm, while Lesjofors lists the same P.N. at 14.5mm.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-coil-spring-1229337

:cheers:

Last edited:
Brakes, More Suspension Questions

I have some OEM Volvo brake pads to install on my 242, it's 1983 for reference, and it has vented rotors. I have seen that the Brembo rotors are of good quality. On RockAuto, for the 1983 year, it has Brembo rotors listed that are for "DL, Vented," but they are actually solid replacements. What's up with that? Can I just use the later vented style Brembo rotors?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I would like to also plan out my bushing replacements. I see that FCP has the trailing/torque arms with new bushings preinstalled that are Skandix brand for $78.49/ea. I don't currently have a press, and I don't have much room for one. Anyone have experience with those replacement bars?

My track bar is a newer Volvo OE replacement, so that's good. I plan to install new bushings on the axle, which I have the member made tool, so that will be easy enough. And I think the last one I have to worry about is the ones that sit on the rearmost position of the control arms. Can those be pressed in with a vice?

My car being a 1983, I shouldn't have to worry about length of the B6 Bilsteins fitment, is that correct?

The spacing on the calipers is wider on the vented rotor versions. So, no you can't fit vented rotors on solid rotor calipers. Eventually, during the 80s the DL model got vented rotors so that's probably why the rock auto listing is incorrect. I think it was the 86 model year that DL models got the vented rotors. Before that turbos and 260s only had them.

For the Bilstein B6 shocks you'll have to remove the spacer at the bottom of the strut. For the rear bushing on the front control arm a strong vise is good. That's probably the only one that doesn't require a press.

The spacing on the calipers is wider on the vented rotor versions. So, no you can't fit vented rotors on solid rotor calipers. Eventually, during the 80s the DL model got vented rotors so that's probably why the rock auto listing is incorrect. I think it was the 86 model year that DL models got the vented rotors. Before that turbos and 260s only had them.

At least, my old 85 245DL had vented fronts.

Interesting. That must mean that my calipers were swapped at some point. I currently do have vented rotors.

The thing that confuses me is that Brembo has the rotors listed as a vented replacement, but its solid in the photo on Rockauto and on other sites, too. They also have a separate part number for the regular solid rotors.

So I should be able to order any of the vented versions with no fitment issues, is that correct?

^

I just upgraded my 84 244GL to vented fronts so sounds logical.

Maybe their pics are wrong?

I got my rotors from FCP.

Cross check P/N's ?

Back