• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Basic Question: What is this and should it be this way?

QisofrKuin

Perhaps someone can tell me what these two things are. First, this Bosch box here:
51351461875_28d621f9e0_w.jpg

Mine doesn't seem to be attached to anything. But nearby was this, also just sitting loose:
51350672608_c33844ce35_w.jpg

Which runs with this plastic tube with some intermittent dark liquid in it through the firewall here:
51350444901_8befa9dc1f_w.jpg

What are these two things and do I need to connect them? The more I poke around this car the more I find things just simply disconnected or loose, so I'm trying to button them all up, but my ignorance is enormous.
The car is a 1981 244 DL, non-turbo.

Thanks everyone.

The Bosch box is a voltage regulator. Early alternators used an external regulator while later ones were internal. Your alternator was probably updated but they didn't bother to remove the old regulator.

The other thing was used to add an oil pressure gauge.

The Bosch box is a voltage regulator. Early alternators used an external regulator while later ones were internal. Your alternator was probably updated but they didn't bother to remove the old regulator.

The other thing was used to add an oil pressure gauge.

Great, so no need to worry about either of them it seems, since I don't have an oil pressure gauge. That's a relief. Thanks!

Who's in the what where now??

In case he hasn't checked, the sender lives just in front of the oil filter, and behind the alternator (on 240s).

There may be extra fittings rather than just the stock sender.

pressure-sender.gif

Ah, thanks for showing me where to look. I'll check tomorrow morning when the rain has finished here in Dallas and see what I find.

Who's in the what where now??

In case he hasn't checked, the sender lives just in front of the oil filter, and behind the alternator (on 240s).

There may be extra fittings rather than just the stock sender.

pressure-sender.gif

The answer is that there is something there. I don't know what, but it has a black tube coming out the back that gets bundled up with the wires from the alternator and runs with them into the recesses.

Back