• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hold my hand 🙌🏽

Snurbalurb

Just picked up this 1993 wagon for 1,000. I cleaned it up, did a tune up. I'm trying to get in the forum and learn a little something about it. I know from the engine tags it's a b230f?
55zb9.jpg

6omruh.jpg

1i23ns.jpg

n71atz.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great for a grand!

93 was, in most respects, the best year of 240 made. 134a air conditioning with the bigger evaporator, squirter block with big rods, blah blah blah.

Yes, b230f engine in that car. Single over head cam with a boring M cam. Runs LH2.4 fuel injection that has a little blinking OBD1 box on the driver side shock tower that throws codes when there is a check engine light. It is fairly useful when there is a problem.

Looks great for a grand!

93 was, in most respects, the best year of 240 made. 134a air conditioning with the bigger evaporator, squirter block with big rods, blah blah blah.

Yes, b230f engine in that car. Single over head cam with a boring M cam. Runs LH2.4 fuel injection that has a little blinking OBD1 box on the driver side shock tower that throws codes when there is a check engine light. It is fairly useful when there is a problem.

Great information! It was a wreck when I got it, dirty and not taken care of but spent 300 bucks just cleaning it and detailing it. The wheels had never been cleaned and brake dust was stuck. I'm trying to find some wheels but local shops just tell me to can't find them.

So are those things good? I've looked already at a cam from ipdusa and for 185 it doesn't seem to bad, but I'm sure valves and springs would be a good idea to do while in the head?

What exactly is a squirting block? I know some things about engines but what? ��

Last edited:
Great information! It was a wreck when I got it, dirty and not taken care of but spent 300 bucks just cleaning it and detailing it. The wheels had never been cleaned and brake dust was stuck. I'm trying to find some wheels but local shops just tell me to can't find them.

So are those things good? I've looked already at a cam from ipdusa and for 185 it doesn't seem to bad, but I'm sure valves and springs would be a good idea to do while in the head?

What exactly is a squirting block? I know some things about engines but what? ��

The wheels are somewhat tricky. Volvo used a 5x108 bolt pattern with 20mm offset for their rear wheel driven cars. No one else really uses that bolt pattern so there aren't many choices for aftermarket wheels. 15" and 16" Volvo wheels can be found on the board, just post in the wanted section.

Volvo made some decent daily driver cams for markets other than the US. B stamped cams are a common swap in for the M stamped cam you've got. It will give you some more top end over the M cam. They can be had used for 50-75 bucks. I'd do that before I spent money on the IPD cam fo' sho'. Valves wouldn't need to be replaced and neither would the springs.

Squirter block means the block has oil squirters that squirt oil onto the bottom of the pistons. It was a feature that Volvo added to the b230f/b230ft motors in '93. They increase the longevity of the motor among other things.

The wheels are somewhat tricky. Volvo used a 5x108 bolt pattern with 20mm offset for their rear wheel driven cars. No one else really uses that bolt pattern so there aren't many choices for aftermarket wheels. 15" and 16" Volvo wheels can be found on the board, just post in the wanted section.

Volvo made some decent daily driver cams for markets other than the US. B stamped cams are a common swap in for the M stamped cam you've got. It will give you some more top end over the M cam. They can be had used for 50-75 bucks. I'd do that before I spent money on the IPD cam fo' sho'. Valves wouldn't need to be replaced and neither would the springs.

Squirter block means the block has oil squirters that squirt oil onto the bottom of the pistons. It was a feature that Volvo added to the b230f/b230ft motors in '93. They increase the longevity of the motor among other things.

Wow, thank you for all the information! I'll look into the b-cam instead, I see your point about the wheels, I will just have to keep my eye open for some. I really appreciate you letting me know about the car :D

Not too bad for a grand. Looks like a recent respray but that is OK. Just change the fluids, check when the timing belt was last changed and just enjoy it. Leave as is and enjoy for a long time or start to modify, lower it then crush it 'cause no one will want it.

Can't decide if noob or troll.....

Yeah. Those basketweaves are awesome. Do the cam and probably an accumulator mod on the failomatic transmission. And then Just drive it.

Wow, thank you for all the information! I'll look into the b-cam instead, I see your point about the wheels, I will just have to keep my eye open for some. I really appreciate you letting me know about the car :D

Volvos share a bolt pattern with Ferrari and some new Fords but the offsets wont always work without spacers

Great find. Those are one of the more handsome wheels that came on the cars btw. 93's are desirable, you could flip it on ebay for a quick $4k and find something that came with a turbo, or just drive it for the next 20 years.

Great find. Those are one of the more handsome wheels that came on the cars btw. 93's are desirable, you could flip it on ebay for a quick $4k and find something that came with a turbo, or just drive it for the next 20 years.

That's crazy! Thanks for the info, now I know I got a killer deal on it.

Great wagon! Go to the Vault and spend some time reading. You did good.
. Will do!

Can't decide if noob or troll.....

Yeah. Those basketweaves are awesome. Do the cam and probably an accumulator mod on the failomatic transmission. And then Just drive it.

Lmao no troll, just new and I appreciate the ideas!

badass, now I know

Thats a pretty nice wagon. I paid 1000 for a 92 sedan with a blown motor that was in similar condition, so Id say you did pretty good. This kinda makes me angry I got rid of mine.... DONT DO IT

Great buy man!

Buy a Bentley manual, read, research, repeat.

Start with all the maintenance items ipdusa.com (you know about) and fcpeuro.com are great for new parts. Check your local Pick n Pull yards for other things, LKQpickyourpart.com they have a yard in Austin and several in Houstin. Looks like they have a plethora of RWD Volvos, and you're lucky they arnt a high turn over yard. I have 5 LKQ yards by me and I'm lucky if the car sticks around for 2 months!

If you want to modify I'd grab that '93 850 front lip, they look nice on a lowered 240.

Best

Back