• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosbysweater's Lifted Om606 Wagon Build

Just when I was thinking of going back to a turbo redblock your thread reappears. Looks great in there!

Haha thanks guys, it was a quite a quick turnaround to get everything done, I've been working on it for an hour or two every night and last weekend I spent all friday-sunday on it. It also helps to have the car at my dad's shop instead of rolling around on the floor in my super small garage where I usually build my cars. He has been a massive and I mean massive help on this one, this engine was alot harder to fit then we initially anticipated. I will update with some more pictures tomorrow but needless to say we had to redo the entire engine mount situation. The driver side mount is a absolute pain in the ass to make fit. I'll update this thread again in the morning.

So like I stated above. I used the sts uprights originally which have a poly bushing. With the ls this is no issue at all, they work perfect. I was hoping it would be okay on the 606 and it was a massive no. These engines for sure need the hydraulic mounts..the vibration was probably the most insane vibration I have ever felt in a vehicle. It was completely not driveable. After 2000 rpm it wasnt to bad. Under that however the car felt like it was going to tear itself apart. So we tried adding one mount. We looked at how the mercedes mounts mounted the engine in the 210 chassis and replicated it.

K2pwkko.jpg

So did the passenger side first and gave it a try. There is so much **** on the driver side of the engine so I was hoping that the simple passenger side hydro mount would make it more tolerable......

NOPE. Ironically the car shook even worse at idle but smoothed out quite a bit quicker.

In comes the driver side mount, now I'm not saying our way is the right and only way. But the angle of the mount and everything matches the benz chassis pretty well. The mount just sits a little further back

NcS2gHW.jpg

TaneOLU.jpg

From the research I've done this is about as easy and accessible as the mounts can be done without really messing with the steering rack and other stuff

Very nice engine swap, beautiful engine.

What are you doing to control the 722.6 trans?
I'm debating whether to swap one into my W116.

Very nice engine swap, beautiful engine.

What are you doing to control the 722.6 trans?
I'm debating whether to swap one into my W116.

im using the OF gear controller for the transmission. seems to work pretty well, I have to drive it and make sure everything works right, you need to have a tps sensor for it so its a bit of a rubegolberg getting it to work properly with the mechanical setup. if it doesn't jive well with everything im going to go with the EDC pump I have and a dsl1

Passenger looks like a breeze, that driver's side must have taken some work though. No space to fit it over the steering shaft?

Passenger looks like a breeze, that driver's side must have taken some work though. No space to fit it over the steering shaft?

yes and no, you totally can do that im sure but due to it being a hydro mount they need to be loaded the same way they are from factory or else they will break or leak. im sure you can use other hydro mounts out there, but i dont think its worth trying anything other then what the factory used for them. i can say this with the car running now with these mounts, it is the smoothest idling 240 ive ever been in. lol

also this is all depending on what rack you use as well. the trw rack has a bit more clearance. i just like the zf style because they dont leak as much and feel better to me

Didn't get around to getting the suction line for the ac made but in any case, drove it around for about 100 miles and so far so good. Need to change the map sensor and adjust the shift points a little. Fuel gauge barely moves. It's very nice and quiet while driving.
1u6t15L.jpg

Welp 3 days of daily driving it around 60 miles a day. So far so good. Car cruises so we'll on the highway. Just need to get the front end back up and crank up the boost. It's making about 7-8psi right now. Realistically it needs to be around 16-18. So I'm going to install my hallman that I have on my gremlin and turn it up s little tomorrow morning

well i found the first issue. turbo is pumping oil into the intake, i knew this was going to happen to be honest but i was cautiously optimistic about it. when i got the car the turbo was hanging off the manifold and the feed line at the block was completely loose. the turbo felt a bit crunchy but i put some oil through it and pressurized it on the bench and spun it with my drill. it felt okay, but it had a bit more shaft play then i was comfortable with. either way it at least lasted long enough for me to put a few hundred miles on the car and make sure everything was working well. new used turbo has been ordered and will be installed next week some time once i get it. i have the boost turned up to around 20psi and it is by no means a race car but it has plenty of grunt considering everything.

Well today I installed a late model diff with the tone ring, there are some wires that need to be switched on these early model cars to make the electric speedometer cluster work on the early mechanical speedometer cars, I'll outline that when I get the pictures uploaded. Right now I'm in the middle of putting the late model cruise control system in it as well to get all the creature comforts I can get out of this pig. Also while I had the diff out I installed a spartan locker in it. More updates to come!

Here is just some random pics of the locker i installed, its just your standard spartan locker, they have gone up a bit in price since i bought mine. i was contemplating on doing a g80 but it was going to require a even later cluster then what i had available to me at the time so i just went ahead with using the spartan locker.

nPXrIva.jpg

eB5y6rP.jpg

TVGqP7E.jpg

i used a 89 differential, cover and cluster, the good thing about it is that it was a cruise control cluster with the 2 speed output prongs on the back so i went ahead and yanked all the cruise control stuff out of the car as well. i want all the creature comforts i can possibly have with this car

XRLrzNs.jpg

so here is where all the info on these cluster swaps is a bit of a gray area, i searched and searched and could no find a definite answer on this, i heard alot of people that said you can just plug in the lh2.4 cluster and it works, this has never been the case for any of my previous cars as i have tried and they do infact have a pin that needs to be changed to make them function. you could get a 86-88 cluster and it would swap right in. parts are getting very difficult to find for these things so you kinda have to work with what is available at this point. i remember back in the day you could go to the yard and there would be 10+ 240s there. that is no longer the case at all. so with the clusters ill post the diagrams of how i got them to work

82-85 diagram

zSYgOfA.jpg

89+ diagram

0UaBlMg.jpg

so on the 89 plus you can see that the power feed goes through the speedometer and feeds the rest of the cluster, on the earlier clusters there is a blue/red wire that feeds power on the smaller of the two main connectors to the cluster. so what i did was splice the black\red wire off the back of the speedometer into the blue\red wire on my current chassis harness and turned the key and bam everything worked as it should. the blue and black wires off the back of the speedometer go to your speed sensor. also with this late cruise control cluster being that it has 2 output prongs on the back i used the one prong that is not going to the cruise control to feed my transmission controller and calibrated to pick up wheel speed off the diff. so far everything is working and the transmission is shifting perfect now. hope this helps someone in the future.

Nothing huge to report. I've been daily driving the wagon. Temps are crazy even in the traffic I have to sit in every day which is usually about 1 hour of stop and go. The car never gets over 185 degrees. The oil temp sits at about 150-160 which is a little low but okay. So far I've just been messing with the transmission shift points. I have a new (used) turbo on it after mine decided to puke oil into the intake and then randomly stop puking oil. I'm so happy with the car, it has plenty of torque which is really nice. It could use a re gear but okay with it for now. It's sitting at 21psi on wot throttle pulls and it has alot of torque down low which is nice. I'm going to look at throwing a set of 3.31s in it. So far it's a fantastic cruiser

Back