• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Panhard Bushing Void Orientation

the_hairy_baboon

I took my Panhard bar (1983 245 GLT) to a local shop to get the bushings replaced. I hadn't noticed it, but the bushing I got from skandix (https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-par...spension-rear-axle-panhard-rod-right/1000098/) has voids. I can't find any documentation on the orientation of the voids.

If I follow the pattern for the Torque Rods where they constrain forward aft motion and are mostly horizontal bars and have the voids on top and bottom (when viewed as installed), then the direction of constraint wants rubber all the way along for stiffness, while the other directions want way less stiffness and hence have voids. Panhard bar is designed to stop rear axle from moving left/right as it flexes, so aligning the voids roughly with the bar (given it's at an angle) isn't a terrible idea and ideally probably align with horizontal when at installed rest position?

Anyone encounter this? I'll get photos when I pick them up tomorrow (had to get torque rod ones repositioned because I forgot to tell them, one rod they did well the other was close to spot on 90 degrees off).

You can also buy the panhard bushings for an earlier model 240 like for a 79. They will be solid bushings in both locations. I don't like the pahhard bushings with the voids. In my experience they don't last very long. As in only a couple of years and they are beat.

You can also buy the panhard bushings for an earlier model 240 like for a 79. They will be solid bushings in both locations. I don't like the pahhard bushings with the voids. In my experience they don't last very long. As in only a couple of years and they are beat.

How might I search for older bushing versions? I thought it's all the same part number. I guess I could contact a place before buying.

Now here's my attempt at ascii art to demonstrate in case the link breaks. O is the central hole for the shaft. () are the voids.
HTML:
  _______   
 /       \ 
| () O () |
 \_______/
  |     |
  |     |
  |     |
  |     |

Just go on iPD/FCP and when picking make and model pick 79 or earlier to list the early bushings. You could always swap them out for a poly set or just replace the upper bushing, one or two poly bushings on the panhard bar shouldn't affect ride quality like a full poly suspension would and they're much easier to install and replace in the future.

Back