• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cutting the bottom out of the airbox

RobTarD

Is this a good idea? I'm planning on getting a cone filter an about a month or two, so this would really be temporary (unless it works great).

I'm not sure what you mean by cutting out the bottom of the airbox. Are you planning on using the "top" part of your airbox for a heatshield or something? Unless you have fabricated a heat shield for the cone filter, I think it would be easier to mod the airbox and use a k+n drop in filter.

I do believe he means notching out a section of the factory air box to provide a little more airflow into it. Since you have a 88 740, I'm assuming you are going to mainly cut the box where the hole in the fenderwell is to provide slightly better flow and still keep engine bay heat from entering the air box? If so, it will probably give you more throttle response if anything and a little louder intake growl. I do not see it making a "seat of the pants" detectible(sp?) improvement although more air should help a little. If you screw up your box or want to return it to stock, I have a spare air box from a 88 740 that you can have if you pay shipping, its kinda oily, but I could clean it off with some degreaser if you happen to want it for any reason as it's probably taking a trip to the dump this weekend if not. :badboy:

I decided to go ahead and get the cone filter. Where's a good place to pick one up, and for a decent price? I went by Advance Auto Parts tonight and they don't stock them.

Uhh, Try to ignore the rice ripper here, that filter would have a few Ill effects. 1st, it doesn't block the filter from sucking in hot air, it just restricts flow... 2. its more expensive, and 3. It won't perform as well, and the heatshield is totally bogus rice boy product if I ever saw one.

weezilusa said:
Uhh, Try to ignore the rice ripper here, that filter would have a few Ill effects. 1st, it doesn't block the filter from sucking in hot air, it just restricts flow... 2. its more expensive, and 3. It won't perform as well, and the heatshield is totally bogus rice boy product if I ever saw one.

Yeah, I ordered a K&N conical filter today. Should have it within a week.

Back