• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I found a 92 245 for sale near me

vxracer

Hey all!

I found a low mileage silver 92 245 DL locally. It is in fabulous shape. Apparently, it has 22,000 miles. Not so sure about that, but the condition of the car wont argue with that. I popped the oil filler cap off and see silver inside the motor, so definitely low miles. Apparently, it is a one owner car its entire life, and recently purchased by a friend of mine. But, it isn't cool enough for a kid, so I was asked to make an offer. If I don't end up with it, another Turbobricker lives nearby. One of us will end up with it.

I know the prices have gone up on these, and the condition makes it a great deal. Any idea what I should offer? I don't want to low-ball and miss it. KBB says 100 to 800 dollars. Some of these are fetching into the thousands these days. Wow

To my mind, if it is as pristine as you paint it to be, it's worth over three grand.

Anything less is a steal and a rip off of your friend.

I would be very weary. Odometers are known to break on these things. Just saying that the motor looks good when you pull the oil cap off doesn't really mean all that much. Really look at over for bushings, check if the hoses feel nice and soft, oil leaks, etc. 22,000 mi on a 30-year-old car means it sat a lot. Could be a gold mine, could be a nightmare. Just be smart

I would be very weary. Odometers are known to break on these things. Just saying that the motor looks good when you pull the oil cap off doesn't really mean all that much. Really look at over for bushings, check if the hoses feel nice and soft, oil leaks, etc. 22,000 mi on a 30-year-old car means it sat a lot. Could be a gold mine, could be a nightmare. Just be smart

If it really has a genuine 22k mi on the odo it should be visible on the steering wheel, pedal pads, carpets, left seat bolster on the driver seat. They all should be in top condition. No wear visible. Same for the shifter boot.
Other pointers: headlight and windscreen glass, should be without scratches and/or pitting
Front edge of the hood: should have no or only minimal stone chip marks

I found out the paid 2,500 dollars for it. And the timing belt was just replaced about 40,000 miles ago. It is in very clean shape, garage kept, and a one owner car.

I found out the paid 2,500 dollars for it. And the timing belt was just replaced about 40,000 miles ago. It is in very clean shape, garage kept, and a one owner car.

I can replace the timing belt with a razor blade in 15 minutes. Hood open to hood shut.

So here’s the thing and why I semi jokingly said $1500. Does the ac work? Probably not. Does it need new bushings? Especially the rear trailing arm bushing? Probably. Has it had the blower motor replaced? When’s the last time it had a fuel pump? Or overdrive solenoid/relay? How old are accessory belts and did they change the bushings the last time they did the belts? Speaking of bushings, when’s the last time it got motor mounts? That drivers side mount is definitely broken or about to if it’s older than six months.

These are all bull**** things that while seemingly cheap end up being giant pain in the asses to do yourself. So it might look nice on the outside but until they’ve done some or all of this stuff it’s a $1500 **** box. The keystone is just so we don’t get thirsty listening to the seller talk about how great the car he’s selling is. If it’s so great why sell it? Oh…it’s got one or more of the problems above and he doesn’t/can’t/won’t fix them.

Edit://
Ntsb national average is about 15k miles per year. I drive my red wagon way less than that. So let’s say guy did drive his 240 15k on average. That t belt 40k miles ago was two and a half years ago. If he’s driving that car closer to 10k miles a year the t belt is four years old. It’s definitely nothing close to brand new.

Last edited:
Does the ac work? Probably not. Does it need new bushings? Especially the rear trailing arm bushing? Probably. Has it had the blower motor replaced? When’s the last time it had a fuel pump? Or overdrive solenoid/relay? How old are accessory belts and did they change the bushings the last time they did the belts? Speaking of bushings, when’s the last time it got motor mounts? That drivers side mount is definitely broken or about to if it’s older than six months.

+1 to all this. Being a one-owner car doesn't make it not a 30-year-old car.

I get that we can't just throw rocks and hit $500 240s anymore, but $3k won't feel like a bargain if you have to pay a mechanic to do any of this.

Making a respectful offer to your friend is definitely the way to go, but don't be afraid to politely walk away if he won't budge and everything rubber on the car is a ghost of ****boxes past.

Time makes fools of us all, especially belts and bushings.

Back