• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anybody have an electric fan on a nissens style radiator?

VolvoLatAm

I am interested in using an electric fan on a nissens radiator in a 240
I already have the nissens (2 plastic tank) radiator installed with a tropical clutch fan

Some people said to me that the temp switch in the radiator is way too high for activation and they prefer to use a t switch.

For anybody who is running an electric fan/ with housing/shroud please give me some advice for a nice drop-in solution. thanks

Last edited:
Use the later 940 or 960 one and cut the side so it fits is one way. IF you got LH2.4 ECU you can then use the volvo relay and your 9xx ECU box to control it like volvo designed it to work. Two speeds even, starts low then goes high! Otherwise people put sensors in the lower radiator hose that controls a relay, but none of that is volvo, aftermarket stuff. Maybe even saab story.

The rad mounted temp switch is not too high of a temp. I monitored it with an Autometer gauge and a laser thermometer when I thought I had a problem.

I just used the stock shroud, 4 angle brackets, and four bolts to mount it. In a 7/9 series I have trimmed the water pump shaft flush with the pulley for clearance. 240's don't have that issue in my experience.

T5iUAxDl.jpg

The rad mounted temp switch is not too high of a temp. I monitored it with an Autometer gauge and a laser thermometer when I thought I had a problem.

I just used the stock shroud, 4 angle brackets, and four bolts to mount it. In a 7/9 series I have trimmed the water pump shaft flush with the pulley for clearance. 240's don't have that issue in my experience.

T5iUAxDl.jpg

what draw and cfm minimum should the fan be for pulling on 240s, I see spal is a good brand?

Use the later 940 or 960 one and cut the side so it fits is one way. IF you got LH2.4 ECU you can then use the volvo relay and your 9xx ECU box to control it like volvo designed it to work. Two speeds even, starts low then goes high! Otherwise people put sensors in the lower radiator hose that controls a relay, but none of that is volvo, aftermarket stuff. Maybe even saab story.

I am looking for that lower radiator hose saab switch, cannot seem to find one

That's a Volvo fan, 850 or 9 series.

Here is a fancy one of the Saab dealies:
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-par...e-temperature-switch-stainless-steel/1025633/

Hint, look for it from a '93 900. I have one somewhere but always thought I would use it for something someday. Pulled it out of the junkyard.

I would just have a bung welded to a tube if you can't find one.

I only found a rusty one on ebay
with that pn from skandix (9332826) this should be the same thing
https://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=5430

Idk what the CFM is, they are high quality and very easy to find in the junk yard. At least they used to be. It is more than enough for many builds. I just wired it on the high speed and it cools the car down very quickly.

I've got mine wired into the radiator switch for low speed, and have another switch in the lower rad hose with the Saab T fitting for high speed.

I don't think it's ever kicked onto high speed, even during the record heat wave we had last summer. Granted, it wasn't bumper to bumper gridlock, but it was still over 100 degrees F.

I'm using a 16" flex-a-lite on a Nissens rad in the 240. I'm not using a shroud and I just used the included plastic thru radiator fasteners to attach it to the radiator. Its been great sitting in traffic in the summer heat here in FL, but I also don't have AC so individual results may vary.

For water pump pulley clearance I just had to pull the studs and used the appropriate size fasteners from Lowes/HD instead.

You will also likely need to upgrade your alternator if you haven't done so already.

I'm running the 940 dual speed setup with a nissen radiator. The sensor that comes in the nissen kept my engine temp gauge spot on in the middle. The problem is when that sensor dies you can't find a replacement. The fitting if the same size as used in a lot of vw/Audi cars but I haven't been able to find the same temp on/off rating.

My understanding is that the ECU fan control is too hot, it's meant for the AC fan control.

I have a Flex-a-Lite FAL-114 just mounted to the radiator with the included zip tie like things (with some plastic tubing over them through the radiator to make it more of a soft mount.) No shroud. Used a headlight relay to power it, switch grounds the relay. I just used a regular 740 switch, it does get slightly above center of the gauge (with the compensation board removed) so a lower temp switch might be a good idea, I might do that when I get my 240 running again. I think there are lower temp drop in replacements that can fit in the rad, something for a VW IIRC? It hits over 110 here occasionally and I've never had a problem with the fan keeping up. Apparently the FAL-116 fits per the comment above, that should do even better. Ran it for about 10 years/100k miles so far. Just make sure the wires are secure. I had one of the wires come off the temp sensor in traffic once. Good thing the temp gauge caught my eye or that could have ended badly.

The switch that came in my radiator was something like a 92c, and remember that's in the cold side of the radiator. I used a saab T in the upper rad hose and colder switch, like 75/82c or something. (82c thermostat)

The switch used in the radiator from an old VW Rabbit like the 76 that I had long ago may work in the radiator for a lower temp. Sorry, I don't remember the rating.

SAAB uses 2 temp switches. The one in the TOP radiator hose adapter is 92-87C and the one in the radiator is 110-115C. If that hose adapter is used in the redblock lower radiator hose you want to swap the sensors and use the one with higher temp rating installed in the adapter. The threads are the same but taking the old sensor from the adapter is not easy. I normally use a vise and a 4ft long breaker bar to unscrew it.
Have one set of both temp switches with the SAAB hose adapter if anyone is interested.

The switch that came in my radiator was something like a 92c, and remember that's in the cold side of the radiator. I used a saab T in the upper rad hose and colder switch, like 75/82c or something. (82c thermostat)

Yup I just found the original one that came with my nissen radiator. The brand is Vernet which i haven't been able to source in the US. It's stamped 92-82c which I think means it turns on at 92 and off at 82.

I got a vw one thats close to that but it sometimes gets super hot before switching on. Just occurred to me it could be the relays or actual fan not working correctly.

Back