• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

slow revving and rev hanging

Chigga 744SE

Taiwan hillbilly
Background: Haven't driven the car in few years, got the car up and running this past weekend, idle is solid, pressure in various systems are good, no leak, clutch still good, no vacuum leak after changing hoses, engine is stock with A-cam and big 16G turbo, chipset, 265 trans, stock flywheel.

Now, this may be because I'm used to other cars, but it feels really sluggish to rev, under boost it pulls well and revs well, but under normal driving it just like to take its time, I actually had a hard time to heel and toe when down shifting, is this because stock flywheel? or can I do something to improve this sluggish behavior?

If you have the heavy dogdish flywheel, I'd say yeah, that's it.

The lighter flywheels seem to rev 'normally'

Sti like revs will not happen from a stock redblock. Thats comparing apples to orangutans.

My 944 turbo with m47 is equally as much of a dog out of boost. You've really got to give it throttle to even go into boost. Now, once in boost, it pulls fine and quickly to red line. My shifts are probably much slower than your 265 trans, but same concept. And, I'm also used to driving my civic si.

Of course not, but I want to know what to do to make it similar, even at 70% I'll be happy, it'll make it more enjoyable to drive.

Well, decrease the mass of the rotating assembly, i guess. A feel of an engine or good engine feel is at least more difficult to quantify than outright performance, if not more difficult to achieve as well.

The stepped LH2.4 flywheeel has mass on the exact wrong place considering this problem at hand: at the outer perimeter of the flywheel.

Lighter pistons, lighter wrist pins, lighter crank shaft, lighter flywheel, lighter clutch assembly, lighter underdrive front pulley, a lighter drive shaft, lighter wheels and lighter brake discs will all have some effect on how well the car picks up speed.

Some cars even have hollow camshafts, so to get that last miniscule and marginal improvement, have yours gun drilled. The aux shaft as well. Cost to benefit ratio might not be high up there on these improvements.

Verify that the fan clutch is working, or replace the fan with an electric one. Verify that no bearing on any ancillary device is FUBARed. I once had a very bad bearing on an alternator, which definitely had an effect on engine feel, but could also very easily be heard.

A lighter flywheel might be the easiest and best single improvement.

Last edited:
I've been searching online for a bit, where can I buy the lightened flywheel for LH2.4? it seems even standard flywheel is getting hard to come by.

Back