• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking to make your car turbocharged? READ FIRST

1 quick question about this, can you turbo a regina car with the map sensor? I have looked and can not dig up the info. specifically on this.

guys, seriously. all the info is on the first page of the performance forum. here are some links to get started with. fundamentally, installing a turbo on a 700 or 900 is the same as a 200, as the engines are the same.

so check these out and start writing stuff down

http://www.sonic.net/~kyle/242/work/
http://www.vipinfoservices.com/john/turboswap/swap_default.htm
http://www.pbase.com/volvoisaac/23ft_conversion
http://www.pbase.com/740atl/turbo_swap

thank you very much your first link has helped me greatly..
the only thing i dont like (im running it to) is mega squirt, do you know of another good tunning system i could use?

megasquirt is the cheapest and most flexible, but many dyno shops aren't specifically familiar with it. if you know how to solder and run wire, it is a great bang/buck tuning tool. if you aren't so keen, perhaps buy a later turbo car (700/900) and swap over the entire engine, wiring harness etc and convert your 240 from mechanical to electronic fuel injection. then you have the option of running frpe82's tuning chips in the fuel and ignition ecu's

thank you very much your first link has helped me greatly..
the only thing i dont like (im running it to) is mega squirt, do you know of another good tunning system i could use?

if I read this correctly, you have Megasquirt already and want to replace it??

Haltech or SDS is what I'd buy if I had the money for a new standalone system

Is it just me, or does all this sticky tell you to do is search for your own info. Pointless?

for the most part I agree with you.

I found this page very helpful...

http://www.pbase.com/740atl/turbo_swap

if some one that has done this swap would be kind enough, to post up all the parts they needed to get, like a shoping list. and post up what system they started with ect, like I want to use 2.2 2.4 efi on my car frist before I try megasquirt, so a build useing megasquirt or cis wouldnt be useful for me, but might be for others. and I would belive the lists would difer quite a bit.

if it comes to it I will post it up, cus I am doing this with or w/o help, my car will be a turbo.

people mention useing resitors to use turbo injectors with n/a 2.4 cpu's. can any one tell me what resistors to use.?

Guys, part of this process is doing the work/research, and educating yourselves on not only what parts you need, but how to make it work. A turbocharged car needs a couple basic things... a manifold, a turbo, intercooler piping, and an intercooler. It also needs oil from somewhere, and a way to return that oil to the pan. If that process scares you, you should not be doing this swap.

I didn't set my pbase up as a step-by-step guide, but I figured that it may be helpful to other people doing the swap. When I did mine, I had nothing to go on.

Have any of you read Kenny's install article on the front page? It tells you EXACTLY what you need. Do you have a LH2.4 car? guess what, you need LH2.4 turbo computers. same thing for LH2.2. Etc.

Not everyone should be doing this swap.

people mention useing resitors to use turbo injectors with n/a 2.4 cpu's. can any one tell me what resistors to use.?

I don't know who mentioned that, but they obviously don't know what they're talking about.

If you have a turbo car, you need the turbo fuel and ignition ECU's. Period.

If you have a turbo car, you need higher flowing injectors. If you use the greentop injectors from a 740/940 turbo car, you need the ballast resistor.

You can also forego the ballast resistor if you use high impedance fuel injectors... such as those found on ford thunderbird supercharged vehicles.

Keep reading/doing research. Before you lay your hand on a tool, you should have a complete mental picture of exactly what you will do in each step.

Remember, turbocharging a 240/740 is not rocket surgery... if it seems like it is, stop what you are doing and buy a turbo car.

Mike

Last edited:
Im all about doing research, im also about shareing what i know with others and I belive that is the point of a fourm, the search here sucks, we all know it. so us newbes have to ask questions, sorry if it gets old. im not afraid of turbos, infact I am a ase/gm/saab certified auto tech with lots of turbo experance, just not with volvo.

a post i made that I was hoping a mod here would sticky somewhere for other newbies. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=122522

as you can see I spent a lot of time with that post.

I have the basic idea about what I need to do this swap, when I made my post I was just basicly saying that I agree that this thread is basicly a bunch of dead links and people telling people to search.

a thread that was filled with info would be much better. thats all.

anyway I know how the web is and I dont want any one to think im e-thuging, if that how i come off, im sorry. just trying to help the other newibes.

Last edited:
Hi
Will a B230K normally aspirated engine be converted/upgraded to a B230FT engine? I have access to all the parts needed except for the FT engine block.. If this is doable, can you refer me a forum/write-up on how to go about this especially on the electrical side. All the write-ups and forums I read are conversions from an F engine to and FT, etc. I really want this project to succeed.

ok I'm new to volvo, been into volkswagen since I started driving about 10 years ago. But my recent girl friend, and the long love hate relationship with vw has given volvo my attention. I just bought a 1989 740gl 5-speed, solid car. SLOW! My newbie question is; How hard, and possiable, is it to drop in the 740 turbo engine? Is there any major wiring? Are there any good write ups on this here? Thanks. (yes I've been searching)

I've been thinking about doing the same. It would be easier to just turbo the engine you have now. With the higher compression of the N/A engine, you would make more power. Being an 89' like mine, you have the later LH 2.4 set up that didn't come on the turbo cars until 1990.

I've been thinking about doing the same. It would be easier to just turbo the engine you have now. With the higher compression of the N/A engine, you would make more power. Being an 89' like mine, you have the later LH 2.4 set up that didn't come on the turbo cars until 1990.

So is it as simple as installing a turbo head?

So is it as simple as installing a turbo head?

No such thing as a turbo head. The lower compression comes from the deeper dish in the b230ft "turbo" pistons.

To be fair, the "turbo" head has sodium filled exhaust valves... but that's it.

The main difference between the B230f and the B230ft is the lower compression, and the different cam, and the b230ft has a hole stamped in the bottom for the oil return line for the turbo.

The M cam is just fine to leave in. The higher compression is ok too. The hole is stamped in the bottom of the b230f, you just have to drill it out. Other than that, from what I have read most everything else is plug and play. Just collect all of the parts and get it together. It would be better to source all of your parts from the 1990 and later turbos. The bigger mitsubishi turbocharger and the manifolds are better. You could just find a wrecked car and get most of what you would need. Any other things you wouldn't find, you could get from other people on the board.

(the cams in both heads aren't too good, the T and M cams give out after about 4k rpms.)

The main difference between the B230f and the B230ft is the lower compression, and the different cam, and the b230ft has a hole stamped in the bottom for the oil return line for the turbo.

The M cam is just fine to leave in. The higher compression is ok too. The hole is stamped in the bottom of the b230f, you just have to drill it out. Other than that, from what I have read most everything else is plug and play. Just collect all of the parts and get it together. It would be better to source all of your parts from the 1990 and later turbos. The bigger mitsubishi turbocharger and the manifolds are better. You could just find a wrecked car and get most of what you would need. Any other things you wouldn't find, you could get from other people on the board.

(the cams in both heads aren't too good, the T and M cams give out after about 4k rpms.)

I hate to nitpick, but I'm going to nitpick.

1. I don't recommend drilling out the oil return hole... and it is a drill-out procedure... not a punch out. Weld a bung onto the pan and be done with it. Here's a pic. http://www.pbase.com/740atl/image/77262473

2. The higher compression is ok as long as you didn't stop school in the 3rd grade. The turbo fuel and ignition ecu's are required (not recommended), but even so, they are idealized for the 8.7:1 CR engine... not the 9.8:1 CR engine. Don't pay attention just once, run a tank of bad gas and you will blow it up. See most any 500dollar740 posts for evidence.

3. The early Garrett T3 turbos are just fine. They can be run as is, or bolted to the higher flowing 90+ manifold. The mitsu 12b found in 88-89 turbo cars is fine, but relies on the pre-90 manifold. The late mitsu 13c is fine, but tiny.

It's all good. .... and I know at least one person is going to give me hell for the anti-drilling the block stance... but damn it makes a mess. Ask any of the people standing by at the ATL +T meet. They can verify how quick and painless it is to weld a bung onto the pan.

http://www.pbase.com/740atl/plusteemeet

Back