• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Smells like gasoline when I open the window

240Redblock

85 245 N/A

I get a very strong gas smell only when I open the window, no obvious leaks, doesn't smell under the hood and no leak at the injectors. I'm thinking maybe the lines are leaking? Charcoal canister doesn't smell and is hooked up, but that's not saying much. Anyone have a similar experience?

I had a similar issue, caused by a worn gas cap seal and the nylon drain hose from filler not going out the bottom of the buttcheek.
Hard left turn would soak the dust in the buttcheek and I'd be smelling 93 all day long.

I too experienced gas smell from brisk left turns. It was the seal on the gas cap and the filler neck is out of round from gas monkeys pressing down on the gas pump handle while it is filling the car. I replaced the seal and bent the neck as good as I can back to round. It still leaks a little if you turn hard left. Very annoying.

I replaced the gas cap with an O'Reilly special over a month ago, I'll check the nylon hose though it looked to be in great shape when I replaced the whole buttcheek due to rust a few months ago. Thanks for the advice, I'll get on that this weekend.

The canister is intact and secured, nothing sounds loose inside. The lines are connected and I replaced the thicker line recently though the smaller line are definitely ready for replacement.

I'd hate to piggyback on someone else's thread, but the big hose coming out of the bottom of my charcoal canister (I think it's the vent) reeked of gasoline when I was under the car last. Is this not normal?

If you got liquid gas in the charcoal canister. That may be from over filling the gas tank. When you replaced the gas cap, did you make sure the filler tube was round?

While I was replacing my clutch (what a PITA, done dozens of m47s piece of cake, that cast iron m46 doe...) I noticed a lot of muddy/tacky/oil mess along the fuel lines (only in the driver's side) it didn't smell particularly like gasoline, but I'mjust assuming that's to do with the exposure to air and dust etc. I cleaned it upand will be checking next week to see if it's wet again. The rear main was the last engine seal that needed replacing so if there is any moisture is gotta be fuel (or brake fluid, but those are working great). Will update you then. Filler tube seems very round for its age, makes good seal and the vent tube is clear and exits through the grommet in the butt cheek. Charcoal canister is bone dry. Thanks for the help!

Back