• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Headlights won't shut off

kampman

dunning-krugersquirt
Now that my 945 Turbo is back on its feet and I've driven it a little, I've found that the lights won't shut off except with the key. In all three positions of the switch, the dash lights, headlights, and parking lights remain illuminated. In the "gaps" between the positions, the lights shut off and a relay clicks somewhere, but everything comes back on when the switch falls into the detent.

Has anyone else experienced and resolved this sort of failure in their 940? My best guess is that the switch has failed internally, but I want to make sure before I track down a replacement.

Last edited:
Some markets had lights never off 95 and later but the middle possition is always parking lights only...
Usual suspect is the switch.

That's normal. US market 1995 940s have daytime running lights as Urvanej said. You can't turn them off unless you rewire the car like a 94 or older 940.

So the following is the correct combination of lights for each position?

1 (switch to the left): Exterior lights including headlights, cluster and dash not illuminated
2 (switch in the middle): Exterior lights except headlights, cluster and dash illuminated
3 (switch to the right): Exterior lights and headlights, cluster and dash illuminated

If so, that's how I figured it should work since that's how my 850 and XC70 were set up. Right now it's like the switch is set in position 3 no matter where you turn it. I'll replace the switch.

No. This is how a 1995 is wired.

1 (switch to the left): Exterior lights including headlights, cluster and dash not illuminated, only if the key is not in the run position.
2 (switch in the middle): Exterior lights except headlights, cluster and dash illuminated, only if the key is not in the run position.
3 (switch to the right): Exterior lights and headlights, cluster and dash illuminated, yes, when the key is in the run position.

I just went out and checked my 95 to make sure that sequence above is correct.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Roy. Do you have any spare switches you'd be willing to sell?

Last edited:
No. This is how a 1995 is wired.

1 (switch to the left): Exterior lights including headlights, cluster and dash not illuminated, only if the key is not in the run position.
2 (switch in the middle): Exterior lights except headlights, cluster and dash illuminated, only if the key is not in the run position.
3 (switch to the right): Exterior lights and headlights, cluster and dash illuminated, yes, when the key is in the run position.

I just went out and checked my 95 to make sure that sequence above is correct.

This is how every 90+ 7/9 I have owned was.

This is how every 90+ 7/9 I have owned was.

Read what I said carefully. If the key is in the run position, all the lights are on, regardless of the head light switch position. It's a 1995 only thing. If your earlier cars worked like this they have been rewired.

Chris,

I'm sure I have an extra 95 switch, however, I wouldn't know how to tell it apart from the other 40 switches I have in the same box.

I have 89 740 (GB)that has daylights, and they can not be switched off with the engine running. There is a fuse to kill this "feature".
I have 90 740 (Fr) and 95 940 (CZ) without this feature and the lights are working as expected from the signs on the switch.
(markets they were sold new)

Back