• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

Had some flanges cut for future 'keep busy' projects, mostly carb-based. 4 redblock intake flanges, two dual DCOE flanges, and a DGV flange.

So3yrFHe_o.jpg

Scored a nice wheel today :).

wCsVwDUT_o.jpg

I also finished installing the rear speakers (and a ghetto-stealth antenna) so now I can put the interior back together. I'm not looking forward to figuring out THAT puzzle, ugh.

Last edited:
Got the interior back together and the OD solenoid wired up. Decided to take it for it's inaugural drive and I was not disappointed :).

It definitely needs tweaking, everywhere, and the needles in the carbs are not great...but it's still a win.

Re-sync'd the carbs with Uni-Syn #2 (because I lost #1 over the winter somehow :( ) , and now I'm just waiting for a good reason to drive it a bunch more. My province just instituted a 28-day lockdown/stay-at-home order, so there's not a lot of places I can go. If something goes wrong, nothing will be open to get parts/fluids/help. Looks like I'll be driving around the block a lot, lol.

1lZKyW2o_o.jpg

Started building a manifold for my DHLAs. Nothing says I need an off-the-shelf manifold for this to work, and hotrodders made all sorts of garage parts back in the day...so lets give it a go :).

VbaRrbOD_o.jpg

Got the last piece I needed to have a completely new exhaust. It's really difficult to find the non-cat mid-pipe so I just ordered the whole B21A downpipe/midpipe combo from Nordicar. It came in a week from the Netherlands and it's AMAZING. The secondaries are super long, which kinda sucks because I wanted to put the O2 in the merge but I don't want it that far from the engine. I'll have to pick a secondary to use, which isn't THAT bad...but...doh :(.

I'll probably give it a coat of engine enamel before I throw it in, if I have enough.

HsIVPjd9_o.jpg

Went for the first long drive today (60 km round trip) and it performed terrifically. The only issue is...well...me. My ZS carbs are adjustable from the bottom by moving the jet itself up or down. As it turns out, there is such a thing as 'too high', because as I was trying to lean it out slightly for cruising, it worked great for a while and then went off the scale lean. I had to pull the choke out to drive home (since the ZS choke adds fuel too). I turned the adjusting screw back to where it was (1/4 turn only) and everything was great. I think the jet simply got too high into the airstream and the intake signal wasn't consistent enough to pull the fuel it needed.

With all the later ZS carbs, the needle is adjustable and the jet stays put (usually a couple thou under flush), so I think I see why they did that.

I got bored and swapped the needles to a '2A' set from a TR4, instead of the '2AA' set from an AQ165/170A that came in the carbs I'm using. The profile is leaner overall, but the idle manners are waaaaaaaaay better. Cruise...well...14-15:1 is where it sits, depending on gear...so I'm pretty happy with that. I think I'll need to go back to the thinner dashpot oil to lean out the acc fueling a bit, but it's nice and snappy as-is, so time will tell.

Went for the first long drive today (60 km round trip) and it performed terrifically. The only issue is...well...me. My ZS carbs are adjustable from the bottom by moving the jet itself up or down. As it turns out, there is such a thing as 'too high', because as I was trying to lean it out slightly for cruising, it worked great for a while and then went off the scale lean. I had to pull the choke out to drive home (since the ZS choke adds fuel too). I turned the adjusting screw back to where it was (1/4 turn only) and everything was great. I think the jet simply got too high into the airstream and the intake signal wasn't consistent enough to pull the fuel it needed.

With all the later ZS carbs, the needle is adjustable and the jet stays put (usually a couple thou under flush), so I think I see why they did that.

Nice congrats! First good drive of the season is always awesome

Although I ducked pulling my 740s from storage today lol

Alright, so. Ok.

I just spent the morning reading (as much as I could) this entire build thread, 2016 to current.

I'm guessing this was already covered, but whatever happened to the B6304 after you swapped it out for the AQ?

It's still in my garage, on a stand. It's too nice to toss, and there's not really a huge market for volvo stuff in my area, so I'm just using it as decoration right now :). It's a really nice engine, but I feel it would be a lot better with a manual box attached.

Tomorrow I'm heading out on a trip to a buddy's junkyard in Napanee, which is a 5 hour round trip from my place. It's time to put the car back into use...although you can bet my CAA is up to date, lol.

It's still in my garage, on a stand. It's too nice to toss, and there's not really a huge market for volvo stuff in my area, so I'm just using it as decoration right now :). It's a really nice engine, but I feel it would be a lot better with a manual box attached.

Hmmmm. I might be interested in taking it off your hands at some point, if you'd be interested in selling.

Figuring out a plan B) for if/when (when) the D24 in my wagon explodes.

This is my chair of 'fun things to install later' :).

3OKyWlRI_o.jpg

I'm super impressed with BNE/Kaplhenke's shipping. I waited less than a week and a half for the torque rods and panhard bar to arrive. I'm in Canada, so it's not always a given that shipping will be quick or smooth...and this was both :).

BNE hybrid torque rods installed...then uninstalled after reading the install notes on the site...then re-installed. The initial test drive was anti-climactic, which I guess goes to show how good they are at retaining the civility of standard torque rods. I dig 'em :). I tried to install the BNE panhard bar but was stymied by a too-tight/seized bolt, so I decided to save that for another day.

I just have to re-iterate how much I like this dual Zenith-Stromberg setup. It's definitely one of the more fun setups this car has had :).

Back