• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best LS swap forums? Or what electric waterpump fits?

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
I'm looking for a good forum for some answers for my L33 engine swap, mainly to determine which electric water pump fits my engine. The L33 is a truck engine with a huge accessory bracket. I am removing all that junk and just running the alternator off the crank pulley, alternator is relocated to the bottom drivers side on a simple bracket.

Do Ls motors all have the same water pump mounting location? That's the real question I guess.

You're crazy to ditch the stock water pump if its a streetcar but yes, they all share the same mounting. Going to a lower profile corvette water pump pump and an aftermarket alternator mount will clean things up and free up some room.

The 2010 Camaro waterpump is lower profile and looks better. But yea, I wouldn't use a electric waterpump on a street car. Sounds like one more thing to fail

And not fail as in drip drip drip that's gonna cause a problem sooner o later. Fail as in it almost immediately overheats.

The 2010 Camaro WP looks a lot like the Corvette stuff I got. A flat pulley, instead of the longer bell-shaped pulley.

I have a super old ls1 water pump with the massive pully and the spacers for the truck accessories. It works well but it's very close to the cooling fan

Looking through LS forums, it seems they cause problems for people who don't look at their gauges, or undersize their wiring, relay or fuses. I am not using power steering or ac, and I dont want 10 idlers on the front of the motor, which is what you get with aftermarket alternator mounts I'll try to find that Corvette setup, see what it looks like.

I have a super old ls1 water pump with the massive pully and the spacers for the truck accessories. It works well but it's very close to the cooling fan

I have a 5.7L camaro water pump and 3/4" specers. Works great. I'll be going to a 2010 corvette water pump since the pulley sheds almost and 1"+ in unneeded pulley and leaves the snout on the same side.

I still don't see a good reason not to use the electric pump, if correctly installed and you aren't doing extended high rpm runs there doesn't seem to be a downside. Sudden death? That true of any new plastic impeller belt driven water pump on modern vehicles such as Volvo or Volkswagon. I've seen 3 so far in various cars. BMW thinks electric water pumps are a good idea...not trying to be argumentative, just want to think this through. I really really want to loose all the stupid belts and pulleys, like this:
8kVQbGZl.jpg

http://www.ictbillet.com/ls-corvette-billet-alternator-bracket-low-mount-lsx-ls1-ls2-ls3.html I run this setup on an rx7 I built, about as simple as you can get. I just see an electric pump as a fix for a problem that doesn't exist. If you have a legitimate reason to run one like being able to cool the motor down in the staging lanes without running the engine I can agree with that. Going to need a controller for the electric pump or a remote mount thermostat if you just want to run it full time.

No power steering or AC..the car never had it and I'm not adding it...the car is a '79 DL with manual everything, no options

The truck accessory bracket is enormous, and I would have to replace all power steering and ac with idlers, it looks ridiculous and is expensive.

55superbeetle, that is the bracket I'm getting, they are showing it with optional parts. That would work for me as far as cleaning up the front of the engine, though it looks like I would need a Corvette crank pulley and water pump

BMW thinks electric water pumps are a good idea...not trying to be argumentative, just want to think this through.

LOL

I work in the parts business, these things go out all the time and make me a lot of money daily. Stick to a traditional set up if it's a street car. Only upside to an electric is being able to run it in between runs in a drag set up without running the motor to cool things down faster.

Isn't there some belt you could use that would work without any idlers? Just go between the crank, WP, and alternator. You'd have to find one that is 'reverse' spin, and has a ribbed pulley on it, but they probably make them.

meh. I used the ict brackets with truck spacing and an ls3? pump I think.. anyway, no issues. Don't over think it, this is how people end up spending 10k to make 400hp and get mad at the suggestion that a budget build can make bigger power.

Stock stuff is easy to find about anywhere. If you're on a road trip in the middle of nowhere and your engine tosses a belt, how hard do you want to make it to get a new one? Stock stuff is going to be at the closest parts store, on the shelf.

Ya, trying not to overthink it. I just want to reduce the size of everything, and the truck bracket is enormous. I still need room for turbos up front and because my buddy hasn't had time to share his lift yet the engine is just sitting in my warehouse at work...have no idea how much space there will be.

I like the link 55superbeetle sent, just not sure what water pump that is, but I can talk to ICT and they can tell me what I need to make that happen.

Good point John

meh. I used the ict brackets with truck spacing and an ls3? pump I think.. anyway, no issues. Don't over think it, this is how people end up spending 10k to make 400hp and get mad at the suggestion that a budget build can make bigger power.

Cause getting a 2010 corvette water pump on rock auto for Less then $100 and a $25 dollar set of a 3/4" spacers is so hard and looses 1-.25 inch on the pulley and gain space. Win win

Back