home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Koston740
Board Member
 
Koston740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: York, PA
Default Adding extra crank case ventillation?

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has used the small steel plate located on the drivers side of the block under the intake manifold to run a ventilation tube through say a catch can for extra crankcase ventilation? And would I see any benefits from doing this?

Thanks everyone!
__________________
90 745 w/ b230ft- Holset He351cw, TLAO chips, eBay ic, Delphi 65's, bmw oil squirters, spec stage 2+ clutch, t5 WC E85


Feedback thread:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=236339
Koston740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
vegasbrick
Board Member
 
vegasbrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Default

Interested in this concept as well. I have a B23f engine that I want to prevent another blown out rear engine seal that the PO encountered now that I've repaired it.

I noticed older engines (b21) has a breather tube coming out of the valve cover and I have seen oil caps with a breather tube in the middle.
I'm guessing used independently of each other and not used together.
See examples below.

I have a complete cap and assembly that has the tube coming up through it that I want to use.


In looking through these threads it looks like it can be done (location may be different). Sounds like just put a small cone filter on end to vent to atmosphere it or run to a catch can.

Old threads ...... pictures and links deleted or broken: -(
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=120575
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=3783

Found some good to know information on this site:
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Engi...GaugeandTester

Hopefully this will start some dialog.

Anthony.
__________________
Feedback Thread:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=208751

Volvos owned:


87 244 - Sold
86 245 - Sold
79 244 - Sold
83 242 - Sold
90 245 - Sold


vegasbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
500dollar744ti
still rides with MrDoug
 
500dollar744ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Falls Church, VA
Default

yeah, it's been done using the fuel pump block off plate, i just put a fitting in my valve cover.
__________________
-Matt

1989 Volvo 744T- 16v turbo, '94 FD-block, RSI pistons/rods, GT35R, Tial 38mm, RFL, MSnS-E, DSM spark, 100lb Delphis, 4.6 springs, Bondo header, Heebspeed intake, Q45 90mm TB, Bosch 044 FP, 12x24x3 ebayIC, w/c t5, Clutchnet 4puck/PP, 4.10 G80, IPD sways, 960 brakes.
1998 Volvo S70 T5m- Stock, 229k
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ- Stock, 154k
1983 Ford F150- '89 5.0 H.O, C6/4x4, F+R LSD 4.10, 7" lift, 35s.
1990 Cobia San Marino 225 ECS- MCM 350 Mag, GM Bowtie Intake, HR-Titan 19p.
500dollar744ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
towerymt
the real Towery
 
towerymt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, USA
Default

I'd run a pipe/hose uphill from that plate for a while before routing to a catch can. Might see some windage. Might not want to pull a lot of vacuum through there. I have not tried it.

I run a 5/8" hose off the breather box and a 1/2" or 5/8" off the B18 oil cap. Works well enough, I guess.

http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/123304113.jpg
Hose from oil cap runs down in front of the rad and turns towards catch can mounted on strut tower. Other hose comes from the breather box and plugs into another port on the back side of the catch can.
__________________
1987 244 | Project Thread | The 87 | Now with 74 mods and counting
1992 244 | The 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
244s are drop dead ugly and suck.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
Koston740
Board Member
 
Koston740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: York, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
I'd run a pipe/hose uphill from that plate for a while before routing to a catch can. Might see some windage. Might not want to pull a lot of vacuum through there. I have not tried it.

I run a 5/8" hose off the breather box and a 1/2" or 5/8" off the B18 oil cap. Works well enough, I guess.

http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/123304113.jpg
Hose from oil cap runs down in front of the rad and turns towards catch can mounted on strut tower. Other hose comes from the breather box and plugs into another port on the back side of the catch can.
Good point, do you mean pulling vac from there may draw oil out??
Koston740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
mullen1120
safety first
 
mullen1120's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Maryland
Default

will the b21 valve covers work on a b230 head?
__________________
'07 S60R: MT, black sapphire metallic, Atacama interior | Eibach springs | OBX 3" DP (no cat no res) | IPD stg1 tune | Forge cbv | poly engine/tranny mount | HD tcv | snabb intake pipe | custom FMIC |

old 745 project
mullen1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
sdturbo
Board Member
 
sdturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego CA
Default

I welded a baffle and a -10an fitting in my valve cover in addition to the stock breather box. Its all routed to a 1L catch can. My setup works quite well, I get very little oil in my catch can and it breathes quite well. With just the stock breather I could fill a 12oz coke bottle with oil with 10 minutes of track time.
__________________
Josh
92 245 (TDI diesel powered.)
84 242 (16vT beater/track slut)397whp/11.6@118mph Sold
97 Land Rover Discovery (Mercedes om606 swap)
65 Mini Cooper (B18 powered)
www.yoshifab.com Volvo performance parts.
(760)468-7002
sdturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
towerymt
the real Towery
 
towerymt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen1120 View Post
will the b21 valve covers work on a b230 head?
It's not a bolt-on if you're using a 530 or 531 head.

I used to suck oil out of my engine with a hose from the catch can to the pre-turbo hose. So I switched to a system vented to atmosphere. Works for me, in that my car doesn't smoke and I'm not filling the intake with oil like before and the catch can isn't filling quickly like before. Sucked about 1L out at an autocross once. It got to the point where the pre-turbo hose had a puddle of oil in it because the catch can was lower, and it was full.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Koston740
Board Member
 
Koston740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: York, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
It's not a bolt-on if you're using a 530 or 531 head.

I used to suck oil out of my engine with a hose from the catch can to the pre-turbo hose. So I switched to a system vented to atmosphere. Works for me, in that my car doesn't smoke and I'm not filling the intake with oil like before and the catch can isn't filling quickly like before. Sucked about 1L out at an autocross once. It got to the point where the pre-turbo hose had a puddle of oil in it because the catch can was lower, and it was full.
But dont I need the vac if I open up that plate on the side of the block? also would venting the blow by affect my gas millage?
Koston740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
vivalavolvo
Board Member
 
vivalavolvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Default

I made one yesterday with the older metal oil cap for my 850. Without making some sort of baffle system it brings out a lot of oil. So this weekend i will re-make it with another layer or 2 to baffle the oil from the air.

pictures
__________________
1978 242DL - 1995 855 T5 ARD Green - 1992 Volvo 745
vivalavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
mullen1120
safety first
 
mullen1120's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Maryland
Default

with the cc now and running ~15psi there is no oil at all in the cc after a few months now. seems odd, but i guess its not a bad thing.

towery, how were u sucking oil through the intake with a cc? wouldnt that capture any oil first?

so what is better.... venting through that hole in the block, venting through the oil cap, or venting through the valve cover?
mullen1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
towerymt
the real Towery
 
towerymt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen1120 View Post
towery, how were u sucking oil through the intake with a cc? wouldnt that capture any oil first?
catch can filled with oil. had no where else to go but into the intake pipe pre-turbo.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #13
Koston740
Board Member
 
Koston740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: York, PA
Default

From the block would seem best, since that is the source of the blow by ... hasn't any one tried this? or do I have to? and @mullen1120, remember how loose the tubes from the catch can were? I can almost guarantee there was air seeping out at some point. well see if it fills up at all now bc that b**ch is tight.
Koston740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #14
Rustee
Board Member
 
Rustee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

I think theres been a few that have added fittings to that block off plate.

I personally did this




though I'll only be using the bigger of the two and I have the flange of the box cut off an sandwiched under it to utilize the little tab that keeps the oil pump drive shaft from popping up. Got the idea from Nathaninwa.
__________________
90 240 B230 16v+T
Rustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #15
Koston740
Board Member
 
Koston740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: York, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
I think theres been a few that have added fittings to that block off plate.

I personally did this




though I'll only be using the bigger of the two and I have the flange of the box cut off an sandwiched under it to utilize the little tab that keeps the oil pump drive shaft from popping up. Got the idea from Nathaninwa.
I still want to keep the stock breather box, but do what you did to the hole to the left in the picture near the front of the block. ? how do you think that would work.
Koston740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #16
Rustee
Board Member
 
Rustee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

I don't see any problem with it. That was where I was going to add a fitting to for extra breathing, before I decided to eliminate the box.
Rustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #17
Koston740
Board Member
 
Koston740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: York, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
I don't see any problem with it. That was where I was going to add a fitting to for extra breathing, before I decided to eliminate the box.
Do you think I could just run a tube from that front plate through the breather box (typo - catch can), and also run the stock breather box as well? or would too much oil possibly spit up from the tube into the catch can??

Last edited by Koston740; 03-15-2011 at 03:10 AM..
Koston740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #18
Rustee
Board Member
 
Rustee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

I would personally run a separate tube to a catch can along with a tube from the breather box.
Rustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #19
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub
 
Captain Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdturbo View Post
I welded a baffle and a -10an fitting in my valve cover in addition to the stock breather box. Its all routed to a 1L catch can. My setup works quite well, I get very little oil in my catch can and it breathes quite well. With just the stock breather I could fill a 12oz coke bottle with oil with 10 minutes of track time.


I do similar on my T6. Baffled fittings mounted up high always make good sense.
__________________


-Kenny
(I crushed a 240 with some stuff done to it. Honest.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Turbobricks isn't a car forum any more. Its a forum for lame kids.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 AM   #20
Koston740
Board Member
 
Koston740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: York, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
I would personally run a separate tube to a catch can along with a tube from the breather box.
oops that is what i meant, sorry typo. correction - A separate tube from that fitting into the cc.
Koston740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #21
Rustee
Board Member
 
Rustee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Default

Interested to know what you used/did for baffling Kenny. I plan to add an extra fitting to the cam cover eventually
Rustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit
 
lookforjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rockland County, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalavolvo View Post
I made one yesterday with the older metal oil cap for my 850. Without making some sort of baffle system it brings out a lot of oil. So this weekend i will re-make it with another layer or 2 to baffle the oil from the air.

I tried baffling an oil filler cap, but in my experience, any cam venting when running higher boost/rpms, requires routing through a baffled CC that includes drain back, or too much oil leaves with the vapor no matter how you baffle the vent.

Did this first -


Then added baffling in a number of ways inside the vent tube itself (ignore CC stuff, none of that ended up being used)



Anyway, ended up with a system similar to Kenny's, but with just a single cam cover vent.
__________________

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #23
vivalavolvo
Board Member
 
vivalavolvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
I tried baffling an oil filler cap, but in my experience, any cam venting when running higher boost/rpms, requires routing through a baffled CC that includes drain back, or too much oil leaves with the vapor no matter how you baffle the vent.

Did this first -


Anyway, ended up with a system similar to Kenny's, but with just a single cam cover vent.
What i was going to do was put a series of smaller holes in the bottom of the cap toward the center, add a V shaped layer and some steel wool, then top it off with another plate that holds the hose fitting. I know i'm not explaining it right, but i can try and draw it out.
vivalavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #24
vivalavolvo
Board Member
 
vivalavolvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Default



Legend:
squiggles: steel wool
wavy lines: air/gases

edit:

Also thinking about another hole in the corner that will be on the side where it tilts down to avoid oil pooling in the cap
vivalavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #25
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit
 
lookforjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rockland County, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalavolvo View Post

Also thinking about another hole in the corner that will be on the side where it tilts down to avoid oil pooling in the cap
My point is mainly that you don't want to over baffle it, or you will just reduce the venting capacity. You will find out soon enough how much oil leaves with the vapor. Depending on your HP goals, RPM & boost levels, you may want to think about incorporating a drain back system, that's all.
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.