• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1971 142 spring selection

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
So, my 142 needs a set of springs as the ride and handling is just too mushy right now.

From what I have read
Here: https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=135512
and here: https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1020116&show_all=1

I can order standard 5" diameter springs for the car in whatever rate/length I choose. I don't want to dump the car nor do I want it to handle like a dump truck, but the fact that 4 people in the car make the rear tires rub and it feels like damp mashed potatoes is really disappointing. Yes, a little lower stance would be nice.

I am planning on running Bilstein HD's up front and KYB Gas-a-justs in the rear.

I'm leaning towards putting the front springs in the back (do I need to run spacers?) and 9.5" tall 350lb/in springs up front. Anybody have any different/better combination (with or without pictures)?

So what should I put back there? I need something with a little more capacity than what it has right now, plus my stock ones are ruined.

Why not stock replacements if they're all saggy?

Are your tires rubbing because they're bigger than stock or is that just a 140 thing? Missing bump stops?

Why not stock replacements if they're all saggy?

Are your tires rubbing because they're bigger than stock or is that just a 140 thing? Missing bump stops?

I'd like something a little more sporty than the stock units.
I think they're rubbing because of how much it squatted under load and the slightly different offset of the virgos (more inboard).

*Ahem*

20MM more outboard which is a bit to miss the offset by IMO.

Steering feeling a bit twitchy bud?

Wait really? I thought 140/164/FWD cars were more outboard then 240/740.

Steering doesn?t feel bad actually, I was expecting worse.

As I recall the IPD springs where 550lbs in the front and 250lbs in the rear, Not sure of the height off the top of my head. Get yourself some rear spring perches off a 240 and you dont have to worry about getting the pig tail springs.

250# for the rear is pretty nice. If you put the front springs in the back I doubt you’ll even be able to compress them. Look at where the front spring is in relation to the wheel and control arm bolt. Now look at where the rear spring is in relation to that wheel and front trailing arm bushing. The motion ratio will be very different for the front and rear. I learned a lot from mikep’s posts about spring rate and motion ratio.

140/160 are FWD (higher) offset, as you mentioned. Virgos are et25(or 20?) so several mm further out plus the extra width of a 6” wheel. Remember the lower the offset, the further out the wheel will sit plus you have to account for the extra width. Are you sure the tires aren’t rubbing on the fender lips?

250# for the rear is pretty nice. If you put the front springs in the back I doubt you?ll even be able to compress them. Look at where the front spring is in relation to the wheel and control arm bolt. Now look at where the rear spring is in relation to that wheel and front trailing arm bushing. The motion ratio will be very different for the front and rear. I learned a lot from mikep?s posts about spring rate and motion ratio.

140/160 are FWD (higher) offset, as you mentioned. Virgos are et25(or 20?) so several mm further out plus the extra width of a 6? wheel. Remember the lower the offset, the further out the wheel will sit plus you have to account for the extra width. Are you sure the tires aren?t rubbing on the fender lips?

What length would you recommend for 250# on the rear? 10"x400lb on the front should be good with no shims, I think? I don't want to go more than 1.5" lower up front.

I did check that the tires aren't rubbing on the fender lips.

I think 10” 400lb would be pretty low in the front and would be way too soft for a lowered car. Mine are 800lb and about 7” if I remember correctly. 400lb is probably pretty close to factory spring rate. Why not just go with the IPD springs or something from VP that’s been tested and works? Spring rate is hard to guess since everyone is gonna have a different opinion.

I never really played around with the rear springs. I just used 8” 250lb with Ben’s adjusters so all I really had to know was what spring rate I wanted. You’re probably gonna want to start 11-12” rears. Maybe order from somewhere like Summit so you can exchange them but honestly I’d just buy a set that you know works and it’ll be a selling point when you get rid of the car.

I think 10? 400lb would be pretty low in the front and would be way too soft for a lowered car. Mine are 800lb and about 7? if I remember correctly. 400lb is probably pretty close to factory spring rate. Why not just go with the IPD springs or something from VP that?s been tested and works? Spring rate is hard to guess since everyone is gonna have a different opinion.

I never really played around with the rear springs. I just used 8? 250lb with Ben?s adjusters so all I really had to know was what spring rate I wanted. You?re probably gonna want to start 11-12? rears. Maybe order from somewhere like Summit so you can exchange them but honestly I?d just buy a set that you know works and it?ll be a selling point when you get rid of the car.

I've been leaning towards the VP setup as iPD no longer makes anything for 140's. I did the math, and 4 springs from Summit would be ~$200, and the set from VP is ~$188 IIRC, so not a bad deal either.

LOL nobody wants this thing anyway.

Back