• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71; Turbo VS Non-turbo? Difference?

VolvoGuy123

Iron Man.
Does anyone happen to 'definitively' know if an AW71 out of a non-turbo (1994 940 N/A) is the same as a 'turbo' AW71? I've searched high and low and I have gotten a few conflicting accounts. And now the salvage yard is telling me I am wrong of course. lol. :wtf::-(

*I have a 1995 940 Turbo and need a 1993-1995 AW71 transmission.

UPDATE: additional question; Did NON-turbo 940's even come with a NON-lockup AW71?

Last edited:
Putting an AW-71L in '93 240 +T was a terrible decision. I really wish I would have used a regular '71.

If you can find the "R-Sport B21FT Intercooler Boost System Installation Instructions", it includes a section on modifying the non-intercooled 240 turbo AW-71 from early 1980s to better match the higher torque from the intercooler (swap accumulator springs and throttle cam plate). I don't know how this compares to the tbricks standard accumulator mod.

If you can find the "R-Sport B21FT Intercooler Boost System Installation Instructions", it includes a section on modifying the non-intercooled 240 turbo AW-71 from early 1980s to better match the higher torque from the intercooler (swap accumulator springs and throttle cam plate). I don't know how this compares to the tbricks standard accumulator mod.

it doesn't actually. The (TB.com) accumulator mod is actually a stronger option than just swapping the springs/cam plate. But I don't think they would of advised sticking 'sawed off bolts' into a trans in a publication from R-sport! lol.

Only downfall I've heard of is low rpm building boost in certain scenarios. The lockup drops the rpm about another 300-400rpm over a non-lockup, which may put spool time down a good bit depending on application.

There are all sorts of threads about how terrible the lockup is behind a turbo 8v. I'm one of those people that did the swap and immediately hated it. Even with a 3.73 rear end, it was doggy and laggy at any cruising speed below 75mph (I'm in Canada and the speed limit in my province is 62mph/100kph). Try getting boost at 2000rpm with anything larger than a 13C, it sucked.

Luckily, the lockup can be deleted (Deleting lockup via valve body). My car is MUCH more fun to drive now :).

Did any non turbo 93-95 940's come with a non-lockup AW71?

no, in the US only 940 turbos had the late model AW71 non lockup

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know! lol. :wtf:;-)

some people drive slow :cough: or have large tires, or any number of other things. I never had an issue with it, but I don't have any qualms booting it and moving on either.

some people drive slow :cough: or have large tires, or any number of other things. I never had an issue with it, but I don't have any qualms booting it and moving on either.
If the speed limits in my province were higher than 60, sure, it might have been ok. I live in a rural area though, where it's rare to hit higher than 50 (the limit) when travelling from point A to point B. It was even worse at 50, trust me. 1800 rpm with 205/55 16s on Hydras and a 3.73 rear diff. The stall in the converter, being a turbo L (go Canada!), was 2500-2700-ish, which translated into lag-city with my big 16g/8cm.

no, in the US only 940 turbos had the late model AW71 non lockup

I'm running 215/60R15's on my 88 765 T with AW71. The larger diameter (+2.5% more than stock) tires haven't caused any noticeable performance issues.

If the speed limits in my province were higher than 60, sure, it might have been ok. I live in a rural area though, where it's rare to hit higher than 50 (the limit) when travelling from point A to point B. It was even worse at 50, trust me. 1800 rpm with 205/55 16s on Hydras and a 3.73 rear diff. The stall in the converter, being a turbo L (go Canada!), was 2500-2700-ish, which translated into lag-city with my big 16g/8cm.

I live in a rural Indiana area. My car rarely sees faster that 60 mph. The only time i see faster is when passing, or driving on a 4 lane highway. My GPS has shown a maximum of 87 mph a few times while passing slow idiot drivers.

I'm thinking my biggest problem was the 71L converter (2500-2700), and the Big 16G/8cm turbo I am using. Cruising at 1800 rpm kept me so far away from the torque sweet spot that it was actually very irritating to drive.

I get better fuel economy without the lockup, and it's more fun :).

I'm thinking my biggest problem was the 71L converter (2500-2700), and the Big 16G/8cm turbo I am using. Cruising at 1800 rpm kept me so far away from the torque sweet spot that it was actually very irritating to drive.

I get better fuel economy without the lockup, and it's more fun :).

What is the stall (converter) speed with the (turbo) AW71?

Back