• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Calipers for 1992 240 with ABS

eebird

I am trying to track down some replacement calipers for my 92 240 with ABS. Seems to be hard to track down. I see one side listed on IPD but not the other. Any ideas or leads? Thanks!

IPD was out of luck for these and I tried a couple other places. Some suggested I could just get my old ones rebuilt. Does anyone have a recommendation of a shop/place to have calipers rebuilt?

I bought reman. rear ATE calipers from Rockauto about a year ago, first set was Reybestos brand. One came with a broken bleeder, and they didn't have a replacement so I sent them both back and got Centric Reman. calipers.

The driver's side reman. Centric caliper was all good, but the passenger's side bleeder screw stripped the hole at just a couple inch lbs. I had to send that one back and get a replacement. The replacement ALSO leaked, and I had to send that one back too. The next one they sent I have on the car and it works perfectly one year later. Rotors + pads were from iPd.

In total, I returned 3 calipers with some sort of fault, and 1 because I wanted a matching set and they didn't have a replacement. That, combined with 2 cores meant that I had shipped 6 packages in total TO RockAuto for a simple rear caliper replacement.

On top of that, my master cylinder was also bad so I had to replace that too. I bought a genuine ATE one. The brakes work amazing now but it was an absolute mess making everything work.

To summarize, Rockauto remanufactured calipers are really hit-or-miss, but their customer service was very understanding and I never had to pay shipping to send anything back to them, so at least they have that going for them.

^ :nod:

I'd use nice JY takeoffs before I'd roll the dice on Rockauto's rebuilt caliper parts bin.

That said if I wanted rebuilt calipers I'd go with IPD since they usually have stuff that works well, and have a good return setup as well if you do get a lemon.

Bleeder repair fittings are available and they work decently when properly installed. I had to use one to repair a stripped bleeder on my friends 06 S60R. Those aluminum calipers can be challenging to bleed. More fittings than a 240 on those cars.

2 more data points

FCP Euro has the satisfaction guarantee. Even if you're getting the garbage Centric remanufactured parts, you could plan on ordering twice what you need and returning what doesn't work, which might be all of them.

I recently got a pair of rear calipers from O'Reilly. One was the same old crappy rebuild, with the confidence-draining bleed screw installed at a 10 degree angle from straight. The other was a non-ATE caliper, with a surface finish like cast in India jewelry, and a brighter silver color. Their core charge was MUCH less than other places, which seems to possibly indicate that, with a new casting source, they're less concerned about getting your old junk back for a remanufacturer. I didn't mount it, I simply bought a set in case I needed the other side, so I can't vouch for the effectiveness of the part, although it had a similar weird bleed screw angle. Makes me want to drill the holes larger and tap some straight M8 threads into 'em.

Also of note: for the rears, FCP Euro has started to sell Ferodo pads. After some junk Bosch blue box pads in the last 18 months and some atrocious (forgot the brand) ceramic pads for a couple of months prior to that, these Ferodos are a welcome change.
Additional item of note: Volvo brand 240 rear rotors now come with a black coating on the "parking shoe barrel" area, looks like an ED coating, which is especially welcome up here in saltville. They also have a flat machined across them for about 30mm on the O.D. as if this was their method of balancing the part. Maybe this isn't a new feature, but I haven't seen it before.

Back