home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-30-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
240Pete
Board Member

Default 93 240 LH2.4, cant find the 25A fuse holder

This is gonna sound crazy, but I can't find the 25A main fuel injection fuse on my friend's 1993 240. The Bentley manual shows it next to the junction block, it ain't there, or anywhere else in the engine compartment that I can see. I watched a couple of youtube videos and it looked pretty straightforward to me but I swear it's not there. Did they move this fuse to somewhere less exposed?

Any info would be welcome. Thanks all.
240Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
hiperfauto
The Librarian

The wiring for '93 is a bit different. Here's a link the greenbook.

https://greenbook-archive.s3.ap-sout...0305420be768fa
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

There isn't one. Circuits in the fuse block in the cabin replaced it.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
cleanflametrap
Board Member

When you can't find the fuse under the hood (91,92,93) it is #6 in the panel inside.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Nice of Volvo to be making changes even in the last year of production. Even in the last half of the last (shortened) year of production. AFAIK that positive battery terminal fuse block was used for only part of 93.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Nice of Volvo to be making changes even in the last year of production. Even in the last half of the last (shortened) year of production. AFAIK that positive battery terminal fuse block was used for only part of 93.
Yes, one last eff you. 93s can be problematic.
white855T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
Yes, one last eff you. 93s can be problematic.
Some shuffling around of relay positions happened as well.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #8
15A
World's Oldest Brewery

There were 3 different harnesses for 93.....ask me how I know. The PAL fuse holder on the battery was discontinued mid-year (fire hazard is one excuse I've heard - and I've seen several melted PAL holders in yards), yet the green manuals - even last revision - still showed the PAL holder there with no notation of any variance. There was also variations in plug end types where the engine harness connects to the dash. The inmates had taken over by then.

(IF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE YOU FB AFTER THE FACT, JUST SAY)

Alcohol does not solve any problem, but then again, neither does milk
15A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #9
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

1991-early 1993 had fuse 6, then came the PAL holder on the battery terminal, and finally the third harness.

Last LH-Jet 240 that had the 25A ATC fuse was the final 1990 LH 2.4 240 made.

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46.

@1982_volvo_242_turbo on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

My car being a classic is right at the end of production. It has the PAL fuse holder on the battery terminal. About ten years ago I had to replace the battery terminal section due to corrosion. Thankfully a gold plated marine battery terminal fit like it was made for it. An annual cleaning with electrical cleaner helps.
1982 242 turbo. 340k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM   #11
240Pete
Board Member

Update. The reason I was hoping to find this non-existent (in this case) fuse is that I'm diagnosing a no-start for my buddy.

After swapping out both Computers with known good units, we still had no start. We do have spark, but the injectors are not firing.

Initially, I couldn't get any codes from the self diagnostic. However after changing the crank sensor, I'm getting code 144. This is a low mile car that has recently had all of the normal maintenance stuff done a week or so before the no start. Timing belt has been rechecked and is perfect, plugs, wires, cap rotor all good. Like i said, we have spark, just the Injectors won't fire.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #12
bobxyz
Board Member

Do you hear it prime the pumps when you first turn it on? If you're not getting any diag box codes when the probe is in socket #2 (ECU), but you are getting codes from socket #6 (EZK), try replacing the fuel pump relay. If you don't have a spare, you could try removing and reinstalling the one you have and then tap on it with the key on to see if you can get the pumps to prime.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #13
240Pete
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
Do you hear it prime the pumps when you first turn it on? If you're not getting any diag box codes when the probe is in socket #2 (ECU), but you are getting codes from socket #6 (EZK), try replacing the fuel pump relay. If you don't have a spare, you could try removing and reinstalling the one you have and then tap on it with the key on to see if you can get the pumps to prime.
I don't have a spare but will try this. However, I did bypass the relay and the pumps work fine.

I checked voltage at the red/black wire with the key on and only had about .6 volts, so I checked the ground on the intake manifold and as I removed it the voltage jumped up to 8.5. According to cleanflametrap, I should have full battery voltage at this red/black wire when all is normal.

Anybody ever run into this?