• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B21FT questions

83V240T

hey everybody,

I'm new to the forum, and really to volvos in general. I'm looking at buying a 2 door 240 turbo. It has the b21ft.

I was wondering, what kinds of things do you guys have to say about the b21ft in terms of performance? I mean, it's my understanding that the b23 is the engine that is more typically modified for performance. But, how much power can it make reliably, and how easily?

Thanks a lot.
George

welcome, George.

good questions. to start you on the path to finding the answers, find and read the 'building a B21FT from the ground up' thread started by the Aspirator.

After you wade through that one, you should have a better idea.

Many do work over the B23s/B230s. Some are happy to work with the B21s.

How much power hasn't been answered yet, because the limits haven't been reached yet either. That is part of the fun.

TF

My car stock except for 3" exhaust made 130 hp at the wheels with the b21ft. They are good motors, I would modify a b21ft over an early b230ft. They have forged cranks, and the blocks are stronger apparently. Best engine to modify is a 93+ b230, it has stronger rods, forged crank and oil suirters for the pistons. B21ft should be fine for up to 150-175 rwhp. Plus if it's in a 242, go for it.

Good luck,
Dan

low compression
no knock sensor
mechanical fuel injection

just like any motor, it has it's pro's and con's. what you do with it depends on your brain cells and wallet.

i've had my '83 245 w/ B21FT for about 3 months (finally got it to stage 0 about 2 weeks ago) and i'm happy with it.

ps. when buying an older volvo: look out for rust.

good luck,

pinguin said:
How would a b21ft react to ohh say... 30psi?
With proper fuel and spark management of course.
It would make a lot of power. The piston would be a weak point I imagine. They are just reinforced cast, so any sort of pre-ignition or other unwanted events inside would subject them to breaking or melting as you might expect. But perfectly tuned and given enough proper fuel...a good-condition B21FT should handle a lot of pressure...one way to find out.

pinguin said:
How would a b21ft react to ohh say... 30psi?
With proper fuel and spark management of course.

Be prepared for blow-by.

As in, fix this before you go over 15 PSI ;-)

Lord_Athlon said:
I like to think im making more than 175. A decent tune with msns and a blaster2 coil. 22psi.

My ~stock b21ft+IC (I added 740 intercooler, 12b turbo and IPD turbo cam) tried and tried to make ~175 on the wheels (200 lb-ft tq).

It wasn't really sure it wanted to make that much. ~160 was more consistent.

But that was at ~15 psi with k-jet. 22 might get you over the hump.

my bone stock 242 ti with kjet (even T cam), only mods 90+ and 3" made 170 whp and 220 trq at 14psi with really good ratios.

the clutch didn't hold up past the drive back from the dyno....

My 242Ti, back when it's only modifications included a 'B' cam, B230 intake, 3" exhaust and an MBC set to 10psi it laid down 160hp/180tq to the wheels through a slipping clutch. Not bad for an engine that only had 127hp (at the flywheel) from the factory and has 300k+ miles on it.

Overall - I love my B21FT, I just wish it had a higher SCR and a little less weight on the rotating internal parts. :-D

-Justin

vondering

I am also a new at this forum, and Volvo is just a amzing car...I come from norway, and I am just vondering if ther is a lot of 242 turbo or 242 gr.a car in the USA??

Thanks!
Fredrik

hey, thanks a lot for the warm welcome and all the helpful replies. I'll get started reading right away! You'll be hearing more from me haha

George
(I want to be at least into the 5 second range)

Unregistered said:
hey, thanks a lot for the warm welcome and all the helpful replies. I'll get started reading right away! You'll be hearing more from me haha

George
(I want to be at least into the 5 second range)

The above post was from me...I wasn't logged in lol anyway, thanks!

is it possible to run a 6 second or even a sub 6 second 0-60 in a 2 door 240 with a b21ft inside?

Back