• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wheel Bearings

CEHepp

FWDFTW
I was wondering...

My current wheel bearings are roaring, and clicking. I packed ONE out of the four, and adjusted it. Its ALOT better, tomorrow im going to repack all 4 and re-adjust all of them.

How long are my repacked/adjusted bearings going to last?

Theres no chance of them damaging my spindle, is there?

(That makes sense since the bearings have an inner race, instead of using the spindle for the race)

I know bearings are cheap, but...im just trying to make these last before I have to replace them.

I would consider the chances of the bearing damaging the spindle at pretty much zero, unless they fail all together and you dont notice for a long while and your traveling at very high speed long enough for them to melt down, then you pull over and hub, bearings and spindle become one piece of metal, provided the wheel in question chose to stop when you did. Outside of that it aint gonna happen.

As for how long they will last :e-shrug: I'd imagine they will start to make noise again well in advance of the final moment.

Three Fat Tigers said:
I would consider the chances of the bearing damaging the spindle at pretty much zero, unless they fail all together and you dont notice for a long while and your traveling at very high speed long enough for them to melt down, then you pull over and hub, bearings and spindle become one piece of metal, provided the wheel in question chose to stop when you did. Outside of that it aint gonna happen.

As for how long they will last :e-shrug: I'd imagine they will start to make noise again well in advance of the final moment.

Alright, that sounds good.

Theres some freeplay in the race and holders. The rollers kinda flop around in them, but theyre smooth. No noticable defects...other than the large amount of play. It seems like theyre suppost to have play though when not held in, becuase the rollers are not centered. Is this normal? Or are they really getting out of hand?

Also, I have to remove my axle to do rear bearings, right?

Three Fat Tigers said:

Alright, that sounds good.

Theres some freeplay in the race and holders. The rollers kinda flop around in them, but theyre smooth. No noticable defects...other than the large amount of play. It seems like theyre suppost to have play though when not held in, becuase the rollers are not centered. Is this normal? Or are they really getting out of hand?

Also, I have to remove my axle to do rear bearings, right?

Yes the rear bearings are accessed with the rear axels removed. I've only done that once and I took them to a machine shop to have the old ones remove and new installed.

As for the rollers being loose, that is not too much of a problem. The carrier or cage can get deformed and allow a lot of slop with the rollers, and cause noise. So if you repack, adjust and still get noise you can hear while driving, I'd recommend replacing them very soon.

As long as there are no major blueing of the carrier, rollers or races, and things run quietly you should be fine for now.

~ot
is it just me or is board running really choppy right now?

Three Fat Tigers said:
Yes the rear bearings are accessed with the rear axels removed. I've only done that once and I took them to a machine shop to have the old ones remove and new installed.

As for the rollers being loose, that is not too much of a problem. The carrier or cage can get deformed and allow a lot of slop with the rollers, and cause noise. So if you repack, adjust and still get noise you can hear while driving, I'd recommend replacing them very soon.

As long as there are no major blueing of the carrier, rollers or races, and things run quietly you should be fine for now.

~ot
is it just me or is board running really choppy right now?

Alroght, appreciate the help.

And yeh, I JUST NOW noticed my double post, :rofl:

Back