• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 240 1993 AT: loss of power into reverse

PardoR

It has been a couple of months since I made a atf change. The old fluid was cherry in colour but a little bit dark. So I changed it to ensure the right atf on the tranny. (Dexron III H - xcel).
But yesterday the car refuse to accelerate on reverse. I had two passenger and me, I put reverse and the car stops. Re start again, all was fine, engaged reverse, apply pedal and it stops again... What it can be????
I checked atf trans level and it was low, even the dipstick was without signs of atf. Tomorrow I will top up. But I would like to read more possible causes of this issue. It happens from one day to another... It has no sense to me. If the tranny were bad, I could not drive the car however it runs and drive fine. Just I dont have power on reverse! I cant drive a steep street to park the volvo....
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Gracias a todos desde chile

I checked atf trans level,,,,,,even the dipstick was without signs of atf.

When cold on level surface, and engine not running, remove ATF dipstick, and then reinsert it back into its hole. Then, pull the dipstick out, and LOOK at it...where is the level?

The ATF dipstick has 2 ranges, one *cold(*running 10 min) and one warmed up/*hot(*running 30 min). Volvo owner's manual states: "it may be lower if cold and may read higher if hot"

Most prefer reading ATF fluid on a warmed up engine, that has been driven, in fact there are specifics about moving gear selector through each gear, etc. suggest driving car at least 30 minutes, then check at normal idle while car is running (in park)

Last edited:
^You are supposed to check

Volvo's Method: pg. 83 Automatic transmission

I've been checking ATF with engine off, and engine cold for years. I check it after engine has been off for some eight hours, overnight.

I was asking OP to do a specific task, and report back the level on dipstick.

Cold engine, level ground, remove dipstick, clean, and then reinsert, and pull back out again, and then read it.

The ATF dipstick has 2 ranges

An unknown one too...here's how to do it on a GM 125C transmission (photo), and I've done it for years.

On AW70 transmission, there is a way to do it cold, with engine off...been doing it since 2008.

Capture_zpszhsclw7b.png

Sorry I dont understand :(

Do it this way once:

1. Let vehicle sit overnight on level surface

2. Open hood

3. Remove ATF dipstick, clean it, and reinsert

4. Remove ATF dipstick, take a photo of dipstick where top fluid level is showing, and post it here.

Note - Always check both sides

Then do it the Volvo way, as posted above.

Do it this way once:

1. Let vehicle sit overnight on level surface

2. Open hood

3. Remove ATF dipstick, clean it, and reinsert

4. Remove ATF dipstick, take a photo of dipstick where top fluid level is showing, and post it here.

Note - Always check both sides

Then do it the Volvo way, as posted above.

GOTCHA! I'll do this and will let you know
Gracias amigo!😄

I do "3" as a rough guess...

Cold method, as described above, lets a person know if they are good to go in the morning.

If your vehicle is parked on a hard surface like concrete, one can tell if transmission, rear-end, or engine oil is leaking.

But if parked on earth's ground, the cold method works best...since that's when your engine oil and power steering should be checked also.

Checking both sides of a dipstick is needed...the lowest level shown may be actual level.

AW70 dipstick may come up "dry" when first pulled in the morning; hence, clean it off, and reinsert, and then pull it out again, and then read it.

Cold method, as described above, lets a person know if they are good to go in the morning.

If your vehicle is parked on a hard surface like concrete, one can tell if transmission, rear-end, or engine oil is leaking...AW70 dipstick may come up "dry" when first pulled in the morning; hence, clean it off, and reinsert, and then pull it out again, and then read it.

After having done a bunch of cold, warm, and hot comparisons, I switched over to the cold method several years ago.

The dip stick almost always comes up dry first thing in the morning, and I've always wondered why/how that can be. Any idea?

The dip stick almost always comes up dry first thing in the morning, and I've always wondered why/how that can be. Any idea?

Speculation - If ATF-dipstick's sealing o-ring is OK, once fluid has drained back to pan after driving around, there is trapped air in ATF-tube that exerts a downward air pressure on fluid in pan.

Experiment - Remove sealing o-ring on dipstick, and see what happens.

PardoR;5469791 But yesterday the car refuse to accelerate on reverse. I had two passenger and me said:
If it were me, I would remove the pan on the transmission and make sure that the oil filter screen is not blocked.

When this filter screen gets blocked, it starves the transmission of fluid flow and pressure.

A indicator of a blocked screen is as you describe. Transmission slips, cut engine off and sit for a few minutes, re-start engine and transmission acts normal until the cycle repeats.

When you stop the engine, it allows transmission fluid to back flow through the screen and partially un-block it. When you restart the engine, the clutch fibers, etc. that are blocking the fluid flow through the screen will gradually collect on the screen again.

Usually, you can drive the car for a couple of miles before the screen gets blocked again and the transmission begins to slip.
Doing this over and over can severely damage the transmission.

If it were me, I would remove the pan on the transmission and make sure that the oil filter screen is not blocked.

It was done when I changed the atf. the screen was cleaned...

I was reading about this issue on the web and also it can be the IAC valve or something related ( throttle body dirty, intake hose with holes, etc...) because a rattling idle can affect the normal drive when reverse is selected.

I will keep on this and I will keep you updated
Saludos y muchas gracias

I have seen where the ebrake shoes will catch and bind in reverse , may want to jack it up and see if your wheels are free moving in reverse or if you turn the wheels backwards.

Back